Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 07:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I told myself I would never go through it again. You never heard of Hurricane Andrew?
It was horrendous. The government and numerous charities had to go in and help people. Judging by your posts and your world travel it sounds like you are healthy and are doing well for yourself. Good for you. Odd it seems to have left you without a sense of charity for others. Most people who see tragedy have the opposite reaction.

Especially after they've gone hungry for a week and cried themselves to sleep. Someone comes along and offers kindness. And food. The usual reaction is to be grateful and understand when other people need a hand extended to them. If your pride keeps you from asking for help, I really, truly hope you are never in the position to have to ask for it. And I hope if there should ever be someone who relies on you, I truly hope they somehow get what they need. Even if your pride keeps you from asking for help for yourself.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-07-2012 at 07:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I understand there is nutritional value. Hell, there is nutritional value to whiskey.

But why spend other peoples money on things you don't need? Seems kind of pathetic to me.
How about Corporate Welfare - are you complaining about that?

Why should a rich banker, bailed out by government, be allowed to spend all his public funded bonus on a luxury apartment in Paris?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
I had no idea people were so darn nosey. Spying on customers in the checkout lane to see what method of payment they are using to purchase their groceries. It's quite outstanding how someone has the time to spot a food stamp recipient in the checkout lane AND witness them hopping into a brand new Mercedes. I'd really like to know how that happens. Usually when it's my turn to checkout, the customer ahead of me is long gone....
Oops. Obama played you like a fiddle.

http://swampland.time.com/2012/11/07...ped-obama-win/

Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
You know what's really sad is that apparently you can't fathom someone actually not settling for pittance and working to avoid the situation. Why? Pride in one self. Can you look at yourself and say you did yourself justice. I see myself for how I want to be and not be a member of the impoverished. I don't know if you noticed but money is the only thing that matters on this planet. The money they are spending is not free. Instead of weeping for them, I think it's more than fair to ask what is going on. Do they have no pride to get up and say enough is enough? I can't live day to day on assistance when I can work just that much harder to get out of it and there are people who really need it. Such as the elderly and disabled. Not the guy sitting on the stairs drinking a 40 or the guy who spends his days at doing absolutely nothing or the woman who rather just breed and get a raise from the government.

Now you want to make excuses for them. It's my fault that they are on the social stratum. I'm immature for not even having touch a food stamp card? I'm claiming people wallow in their pity? Nearly 27% of welfare users have maintained their status from 2-5 years. What are they doing then? I doubt they are actually going out there and getting it done because if they were it wouldn't take them that long just to pull out of welfare.

I've been around the world. I've traveled to the slums of various African nations (such as Kenya, South Africa and Zimbabwe just to name some) and to the poor neighborhoods in Brazil. They don't have a food stamp card to swipe but they find some kind of work to bring in the smallest amount of change. You know what? I can respect that because that situation is much much worse than in America. Continue your judgment on me and coddle dead weight. You should really direct your anger at someone who isn't on any kind of assistance. If you want to get angry at me then it should be a better reason then the one you have now.

Considering it's just me and my partner. I'm sure she can manage on her own while I focus on fighting for my right.
What ever gave you the idea I was mad at you???...you would have to have some relevance in my life for that to happen.

The bottom line is that I didn't deflect this conversation away from food stamps to welfare you did. I believe you were starting to see the idiocy of your position, I could be wrong and giving you more credit than you deserve.

I choose to live and better my circumstances if I needed food stamps. You choose to slowly die of hunger because of pride.

I trust most sane people know which of us have more common sense.

There is neither pride nor dignity in these photos, simply what hunger looks like. Stop living in a fantasy.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:17 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
We don't even know where you live, so how would anyone have known you lived through Hurricane Andrew? But as somebody who has experienced true hunger, it's surprising you have zero empathy for those who put pride aside to eat. It's a personal choice, and I'm not going to say what YOU should or should not do... but everyone has their own choices to make, and most would rather be (possibly) ashamed than starving to death.
I live in Texas now but I was in Florida then because my uncle and aunt who I lived with moved to Miami Gardens, FL to work in Miami. Anyways, you're right that I should have sympathy for some in that situation. For example like Sandy, I empathize with them. I really do feel for them.

I've seen people I lost a beach house on Hurricane Ike in Galveston yet I didn't lose anything else thankfully because I don't live in Galveston. I've donated to Red Cross and even told a friend's cousin (who relocated to Vermont to ride out the storm) to find a totally legal car up to $3000 or less and I'll buy it for them (no questions asked and no payback necessary) as he ended up losing his car so his family could have a vehicle. I've never told anybody that because I'm not looking for praise and I've never met the guy face to face but it's the right thing to do I felt. I've seen homes get destroyed and you lose everything in hours. I feel for them and they deserve as much assistance as they can.

However, to equate that to someone who may or may not be looking for work. Who knows? They are just consistently dependent on food stamps with no intention of getting off. That's an insult to compare them to those hard working people who have to rebuild their lives because of a natural disaster. Those people who are languishing on food stamps aren't putting pride aside. They never had it because wouldn't it cross your mind that enough is enough. Wouldn't you feel embarrassed going up to the counter and swiping your card consistently knowing you can work a little bit harder to get out of it? There are people who really need it and been through something. Do I really need this? I don't know but it's something that I couldn't do. I couldn't sit there and just use food stamps when I'm know full well I'm capable of putting my self in a situation to never have to consider it.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:17 PM

This whole food stamp business - what you can and can't buy, reminds me a little of State Planning.

Lenin would have been proud!

Just give people a welfare check to cash, and let the market sort itself.

The money all goes back into the system anyway.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
I had no idea people were so darn nosey. Spying on customers in the checkout lane to see what method of payment they are using to purchase their groceries. It's quite outstanding how someone has the time to spot a food stamp recipient in the checkout lane AND witness them hopping into a brand new Mercedes. I'd really like to know how that happens. Usually when it's my turn to checkout, the customer ahead of me is long gone....
Like just about everything else our local wing nuts post here on CDF say it's all just a pack of lies. Or do you really believe their claims to all be millionaire business owners who just happen to have nothing better to do than troll these forums reposting what ever they last read from some spurious blog?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
How about Corporate Welfare - are you complaining about that?
Hell yes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Why should a rich banker, bailed out by government, be allowed to spend all his public funded bonus on a luxury apartment in Paris?
He shouldn't. Who supports that?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:22 PM

Many of the bankers who got bailed out were found to have large condos in European capitals, but were allowed to keep them.

yet someone who is out of work is villified for buying a candy bar.

that is some hypocrisy going on!

Old 11-07-2012, 07:23 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post

There is neither pride nor dignity in these photos, simply what hunger looks like. Stop living in a fantasy.
People in America look like that?
Well heck, give em candy bars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies