U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 06:03 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,378,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
I had no idea people were so darn nosey. Spying on customers in the checkout lane to see what method of payment they are using to purchase their groceries. It's quite outstanding how someone has the time to spot a food stamp recipient in the checkout lane AND witness them hopping into a brand new Mercedes. I'd really like to know how that happens. Usually when it's my turn to checkout, the customer ahead of me is long gone....
Just how do you know they were Republicans?

Did you go up and ask each one of them?

It couldn't possibly be these "nosey" people were concerned Americans of both parties concerned over the usage of their tax dollars on frivolous non-essential food items could it?

Nahhh, it's just gotta be Republicans.....

Ladies and Gentlemen, witness the OP, this is one of the reasons America has been in dire straights for a number of years.....

Blind ignorance and political lies....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 06:09 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,920,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Just how do you know they were Republicans?

Did you go up and ask each one of them?

It couldn't possibly be these "nosey" people were concerned Americans of both parties concerned over the usage of their tax dollars on frivolous non-essential food items could it?

Nahhh, it's just gotta be Republicans.....

Ladies and Gentlemen, witness the OP, this is one of the reasons America has been in dire straights for a number of years.....

Blind ignorance and political lies....
And yet another person who doesn't realize they're referring to threads on C-D (as opposed to observations in real life). I'm beginning to feel like the board police again!

Old 11-08-2012, 06:14 PM

3,383 posts, read 7,106,707 times
FWIW, my classic story of food stamps while checking out is in Daytona Beach, 3 women, with like 3 full carts of food in the only open line. When it came time to pay, whatever food stamp process takes longer, then a normal checkout. Then they had a seperate checkout where they bought 4-5 cases of beer with cash, seperate. Hair and nails were "did". Sorry if its racist, but if you lived in Daytona, you will know exactly what I mean.

I had to sit and wait, then later as I was loading my car say them loading up a Dodge Magnum with 24" rims.

But whatever...

Old 11-08-2012, 06:18 PM

521 posts, read 633,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
FWIW, my classic story of food stamps while checking out is in Daytona Beach, 3 women, with like 3 full carts of food in the only open line. When it came time to pay, whatever food stamp process takes longer, then a normal checkout. Then they had a seperate checkout where they bought 4-5 cases of beer with cash, seperate. Hair and nails were "did". Sorry if its racist, but if you lived in Daytona, you will know exactly what I mean.

I had to sit and wait, then later as I was loading my car say them loading up a Dodge Magnum with 24" rims.

But whatever...
Perhaps the car was an asset they had before losing their job....as for their appearance not every food stamp recipient is going to look like a starving Ethiopian.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:19 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,378,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And yet another person who doesn't realize they're referring to threads on C-D (as opposed to observations in real life)
So everyone must look at the world through your eyes?

Not gonna happen bud.....

Quote:
. I'm beginning to feel like the board police again!
Whatever turns you on....

Why is it you elitists always fantasize about being a policeman to enforce what you think is the "right" and only way on everyone else?

Old 11-08-2012, 06:19 PM

16,028 posts, read 17,810,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I wish we restricted what food stamps bought. Make them much more like wic.

Buying cokes, candy bars, and potato chips don't exactly sound nutritional. When using public dollars to buy food to sustain you, beggers can't be choosey
I agree, but those are still considered food.

Eligible Food Items

Note it is the corporations that make those products that teamed up to stop health restrictions

Do Food Stamps Need More Restrictions? - Marion Nestle - The Atlantic

Quote:
Food industry groups such as the American Beverage Association and the Snack Food Association teamed up with anti-hunger groups to oppose health-oriented improvements to SNAP.
Companies such as Cargill, PepsiCo, and Kroger lobbied Congress on SNAP, while also donating money to America's top anti-hunger organizations.
At least 9 states have proposed bills to make health-oriented improvements to SNAP, but none have passed, in part due to opposition from the food industry.
Coca-Cola, the Corn Refiners of America, and Kraft Foods all lobbied against a Florida bill that aimed to disallow SNAP purchases for soda and junk food.
Nine Walmart Supercenters in Massachusetts received more than $33 million in SNAP dollars in one year.
Walmart received about half of the billion dollars in SNAP expenditures in Oklahoma over a 2-year period.
J.P. Morgan Chase holds contracts in 24 states to administer SNAP benefits.
Banks and other private contractors are reaping significant windfalls from the economic downturn and increasing SNAP participation.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:24 PM

13,310 posts, read 21,871,280 times
And my classic food stamp story is the one where I was shopping and minding my own business when a young white female with clear signs of substance abuse, asked me if I was planning to pay cash for my stuff, because she was offering to make the purchase on her card in lieu of my cash. I politely declined.

Anecdotes mean nothing. And for the angry folks criticizing the OP on her mind reading skills, how about you do a little search of all the food stamp use trashing threads in PoC and see if you can't figure out the political persuasion of the folks who started them. This is not rocket science, folks.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
So everyone must look at the world through your eyes?
MY eyes?? The OP said it themselves, if you'd read more of the thread... I know it's a long one, but that was made pretty clear on more than one page. So I'm sorry to disappoint, but this isn't just my own fantasy.

Quote:
Not gonna happen bud.....
Bud? Not really appropriate to call a lady, but whatever.

(I have a pet peeve about calling women things like bud, pal, dude, etc - but maybe you thought I was a man, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt there)

Quote:
Whatever turns you on....

Why is it you elitists always fantasize about being a policeman to enforce what you think is the "right" and only way on everyone else?
I'm an elitist now?? How funny, considering somebody else (two Republicans, in fact) called me a "no child left behind" empty-headed moron on this very thread. Make up your minds, LOL. I am no elitist, plwhit, that is one thing I know for sure. I am also not an idiot, but if name-calling makes you guys feel better go for it. Doesn't bother me any, since we don't really know each other from holes in the wall.

Now since you obviously didn't get it, I was joking about the fact that I used to be a moderator - the REAL "board police." Do I have to explain everything in such detail? Ironic statement to me, anyway, considering I've been on the wrong side of the law waaaaay more times than the right side. And given that I'm a true Libertarian, while it's the Reps and Dems who like to control people... so try directing these comments at them next time, if you want to be taken seriously.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-08-2012 at 06:57 PM..

Old 11-08-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
And my classic food stamp story is the one where I was shopping and minding my own business when a young white female with clear signs of substance abuse, asked me if I was planning to pay cash for my stuff, because she was offering to make the purchase on her card in lieu of my cash. I politely declined.

Anecdotes mean nothing. And for the angry folks criticizing the OP on her mind reading skills, how about you do a little search of all the food stamp use trashing threads in PoC and see if you can't figure out the political persuasion of the folks who started them. This is not rocket science, folks.
Exactly. I've been trying to make these points throughout the thread, but people just call me names when I do... apologies to them for being logical and having good reading comprehension.

Btw, I used to live in a neighborhood with TONS of f/s recipients, and shopped at the cheapo market where they all shopped too. And yet, I have no anecdotes to share. Partly because I don't make it a habit of peeking into people's carts, but also because there was nothing interesting/amusing/frustrating/etc that I ever noticed. Every so often they'd hold up the line, but usually because they were using WIC and accidentally grabbed non-approved items.

Oh yeah, and my scratched-up '05 Accord was usually one of the nicer cars on the lot. So I'm not buying all those "they hopped into an Escalade" stories either!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,962,259 times
It is possible to tell if someone is a Republican. After all, everyone knows we have horns growing out of our heads. I sometimes hide my horns but they're still there. The tail is a bit more difficult to tuck away.

Joking aside, I saw someone paying with foodstamps the other day and was shocked. Apparently, one can buy bottled water and Coke but not Orangina. First of all, why should they be able to buy any of those things (empty calories after all) and secondly, what's with the discrimination on diff types of soda? (the reason I know he paid with a foodstamp debit card was because he questioned the Orangina issue).

Who is running this food stamp program? Oh yes, the govt. That explains the idiotic rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or