U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:34 PM

24,889 posts, read 21,013,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If they want to use more of their allotted money to buy a steak, and maybe scrimp on another "luxury" - how or why is that any of your darned business? See what we mean about nosiness? It's not like they get extra money if they run out, so it doesn't affect you or me if they buy steak instead of turkey legs... and btw, some stores do have specials and fatty-cut steaks that really aren't pricey. Or did you check their balance and price tags too?
Because they are using my money to do it, that's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 04:39 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,928,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I have more respect for those who says how they really feel and not beat around the bush.
I am saying what I feel, but that does not require being rude. Didn't you ever learn the concepts of constructive criticism or tact? Maybe I was just raised differently, but I try to be respectful until given a reason to do otherwise.

Quote:
Whatever helps you sleep at night, if you expect food stamps users to have my sympathy then don't hold your breath. I go to the store and pay in credit card, cash or debit card. Using my own hard earn money (except the first method just do some research on that to see what I'm on about).
I'm not expecting you to have sympathy, just a little knowledge about the subject. Do you really think 100% of f/s recipients are just lazy? What about the disabled, elderly, veterans, etc? One doesn't need to be sympathetic, just realistic and informed.

P.S. In my opinion, using credit cards isn't that smart... not sure what you mean by that parenthesis comment, but I only use cash or debit cards for my purchases.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-07-2012 at 04:49 PM..

Old 11-07-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Because they are using my money to do it, that's why.
Really? You single-handedly fund the food stamp program?? Maybe like 0.0002 cents of YOUR money goes directly to that recipient, so I'd say you have the right to be curious about 0.0002 cents worth of their groceries.

I'm a public employee, so does that mean you have the right to scrutinize my spending too?

Old 11-07-2012, 04:41 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,339,585 times
Look, your money goes to the government. They fund those EBT cards, giving a cut to JPM. They put the limits on what people can buy, not individual tax payers. So if you don't like what they buy go complain to your Congress critter.

There's also a cash portion on that card for some programs and they can use that cash, giving another cut to JPM, for lottery tickets, beer, cigars, Playboy magazines..whatever they want.

Again, you don't like it go complain to your Congress critter.

Government gets to make the rules, not us.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:55 PM

24,889 posts, read 21,013,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Really? You single-handedly fund the food stamp program?? Maybe like 0.0002 cents of YOUR money goes directly to that recipient, so I'd say you have the right to be curious about 0.0002 cents worth of their groceries.

I'm a public employee, so does that mean you have the right to scrutinize my spending too?
No, not single handed, but its still my money.

Beggers can't be choosers

Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,115,536 times
why not just replace food stamps with real money?

what is the point of them?

if those who get the money decide to waste it, then they can't eat until next welfare check - that will help them to budget better (in theory at least)

Is Obama better for the unemployed, or Romney?

Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM

6,176 posts, read 3,499,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I've seen it once but the food stamps card was facing me and it said "Lone Star" which I knew was food stamps. I'm sorry I have this thing called pride and I would die before I used food stamps. My dignity and honor means more than my life.
I agree that dignity and honor are very important, but they do not fill a stomach. BTW, we all die sometime, under undignified circumstances sometimes. Never say never.

Be cautious with pride. Too many paths that lead to hell are paved with pride.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:08 PM

8,118 posts, read 5,795,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
I had no idea people were so darn nosey. Spying on customers in the checkout lane to see what method of payment they are using to purchase their groceries. It's quite outstanding how someone has the time to spot a food stamp recipient in the checkout lane AND witness them hopping into a brand new Mercedes. I'd really like to know how that happens. Usually when it's my turn to checkout, the customer ahead of me is long gone....
You know it's because they are BIG FAT LIARS.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:09 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,115,536 times
most people on welfare would prefer a job if they could get one.

especially if the pay were half decent and they didn't have to act as a servant

Old 11-07-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
why not just replace food stamps with real money?

what is the point of them?

if those who get the money decide to waste it, then they can't eat until next welfare check - that will help them to budget better (in theory at least)
The point is that they already DO have restrictions in place, the whiners just want to control every last drop of that spending... even down to what brands and ingredients are in their food, regardless if they have allergies or something. Can't eat peanuts without dying? Oh well, should've thought of that before you became disabled!

Food stamps can only be used for food, AFAIK, and are actually now on a "debit card" - so you can't even sell them as easily as in the past, but of course some people will find a way. But if you're actually being honest in using that card, they will not approve purchases like tobacco, alcohol, magazines, etc. I personally think they should also allow for basic hygiene items, but I'm pretty sure they do not at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or