Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 06:08 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Dollar stores carry those now too. I'm not on welfare or anything, however I'm also not rolling in dough these days... so I've become a huge fan of the Dollar Store! Even when I do have money to spare, I can't get over walking out with a full bag of stuff for like $10. As somebody who was raised in a very wealthy family, that was almost like a magical revelation to me in adulthood. You mean, we don't have to spend 5x the price for the same product, just to say it's name-brand? My mind was officially blown.
ROFL!! I have no problem buying things at dollar stores, but it's frequently a false economy, being either such a poor quality that you must use extravagant quantities to get the job done, or actually being more expensive per unit than other stores. A good middle ground for me is Target's Up & Up store brand, especially in the feminine section. The really cheap ones are awful, but Target's are as good or better than store brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 06:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I don't have children and becoming a parent would be a personal hell on earth.
Pretend you do / did: would you make them go without food to save your pride?

Old 11-07-2012, 06:11 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
Paralyzed from neck down
I will fight for my right to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Pretend you do / did: would you make them go without food to save your pride?
I can't pretend that I do because I wouldn't have any knowing the person that I am.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
I had no idea people were so darn nosey. Spying on customers in the checkout lane to see what method of payment they are using to purchase their groceries. It's quite outstanding how someone has the time to spot a food stamp recipient in the checkout lane AND witness them hopping into a brand new Mercedes. I'd really like to know how that happens. Usually when it's my turn to checkout, the customer ahead of me is long gone....
Gee everytime I get to notice someone is using a food stamp card or WIC it is due to the fact that there is a problem with their card or what items they're trying to purchase.

When the line doesn't move and you can clear customs at Kennedy Airport faster than the checkout line, you notice.

It has nothing do with how you vote.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:16 PM

1,329 posts, read 831,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I understand there is nutritional value. Hell, there is nutritional value to whiskey.

But why spend other peoples money on things you don't need? Seems kind of pathetic to me.
Chocolate makes me feel good?

Not everybody that uses food stamps is poor because they couldn't plan right. Unless you think somehow I could plan on having optic nerve hypoplasia or autism before I was born.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
I can't pretend that I do because I wouldn't have any knowing the person that I am.
A) You lack imagination and creativity

B) You are pure chicken to answer

C) Both

Gotcha

You'd let your children die.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Well, chocolate bars are nutritious actually. They have some calories and they are good for your heart in moderation. So I don't see the big deal.

Most of the time I don't come close to exhausting my SNAP card during a month. And being disabled, the money we don't spend on groceries helps my mom and dad take care of me some. Do I feel crappy using SNAP? Not really. Now lots of people have to use SNAP. I've gotten a few smug reactions to my EBT card since i live in an affluent area, but I don't let it get to me. "Pride" doesn't fill a belly or pay doctor bills.
I was joking with you...

Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I understand there is nutritional value. Hell, there is nutritional value to whiskey.

But why spend other peoples money on things you don't need? Seems kind of pathetic to me.
Funny, I ask myself that same question about the government every day.

But in terms of an individual buying an occasional candy bar, I really couldn't care less. It's not my place to judge what they need or don't need (maybe their doctor recommended dark chocolate for their heart, lol), and we have much bigger things to worry about in this country. Besides, it's not like we'd save any money by restricting their items - the only purpose it would serve is increased control, and I thought Republicans felt we needed LESS nannying. Was I wrong?

521 posts, read 762,726 times
Quote:
I will fight for my right to die.

And while you're waiting for the state to let you die...how are you going to support your family so they can eat??

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
I've seen it once but the food stamps card was facing me and it said "Lone Star" which I knew was food stamps. I'm sorry I have this thing called pride and I would die before I used food stamps. My dignity and honor means more than my life.
I for one have no objection to your position. Bravo!

Can you make sure to include your organ donor designation on your person, should the situation arise? No sense in letting your useful parts go to waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies