Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 10:03 PM

332 posts, read 483,059 times

Advertisements

The ignorance displayed here is simply staggering, on both sides. Does anyone really remember when we got along with each other? Regardless of age, ethnicity, education, religion, upbringing, or wealth? As a country we have become so combative, so enraged, and so callous towards others of dissenting opinion, that we no longer see each other as equals. We despise each other, and the tone of this forum is a microcosm of that sentiment. If it makes you feel better about yourself to call a stranger names or discount their education and upbringing because they disagree with you, then congratulations - you're just as mature as the 6 year old next door to me.

What surprised me last night wasn't who won or who lost, but the reasons why people voted the way they did. Mostly, they fooled themselves into false rationalizations when in fact they just wanted their team to win. Before last night I had assumed that most people in this country were educated in the sense that they could think for themselves, putting aside their personal bias and emotions, and actually analyze the situation. Regardless of who won the election, the exit polling shows a surprising lack of understanding of the fundamentals behind each candidate. And anyone who says non-white races aren't racist should take a long look at those demographics.

This isn't a high school basketball game, where you trash talk your opponent because you want to win at all costs. These decisions we make reap irreversible damage to the infrastructure, integrity, and prosperity of our once great nation. And over the past century we've squandered the global responsibility that came with that hard fought position, by fighting illegal wars, propping up corruption, and stabbing our allies in the back. And for some reason, people here seem to want to turn the U.S. into the next European nation, complete with unsupportable social programs under an ever growing pile of uncontrolled debt, on its knees begging for a handout from some other wealthy nation.

The only solution to the country's problems now will be the pending economic and social collapse. After 15 - 20 years, something will grow from the ashes, but it won't be the same country we live in now. Most of the useless, defenseless, and weak will die off from malnutrition, disease, or violence. The strong willed and the prepared will have a chance, but not all of them will make it either. Make no mistake, if you rely on the government for something now, it won't be there when the government fails and is forced to restructure itself in an international bankruptcy.

All the freedoms that were guaranteed under the Constitution are being systematically dismantled in the name of progress and political evolution. All the self-serving distractions we've all grown accustomed to and now covet as basic rights, have blinded us to the fact that we are no longer adults. We're spoiled children who believe no one should be allowed to succeed without paying everyone who hasn't. And soon, our children will be made to suffer horribly for our selfishness.

This has been a long time coming, it's written on the walls for anyone who cares to open their eyes and look past their own narrow view of things. We are not supposed to hate each other for what we believe or what we think. We're supposed to get along, accept each other, and live together. But instead, we've allowed strangers to define us, tell us who we are, and who we need to hate.

The only thing I know how to do is to teach my children my beliefs, help them to become responsible people who can think for themselves and know when they're being manipulated. I'm hoping there are enough people left in this country who are of a similar mind. I don't care what you believe, what you look like, or who you choose to love. I just want people to stop blindly hating each other because they're told to.

Before you hit that "quote" button to start labeling me and my views, you should know I don't believe any candidate for President we've had in a long time deserved to be elected. I don't believe either major party has anyone's best interests at heart except its own survival. The qualified persons who should be making the decisions, such as doctors and nurses for healthcare, economists and entrepreneurs for economic decisions, and the like, would NEVER want to run for public office, because they would be shredded by the establishment. And who wants to go through what politicians have to go through just to be liked by people you don't like? The Roman Empire failed the same way. It just took them longer because they didn't have the internet or television.

Some quotes that I believe with all of my heart, from one of the most intellectual and thoughtful Presidents we've ever had, who is now spinning in his grave:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies