Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times

Advertisements

Is there Red Tape on the door?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 07:42 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
So you think massive quantities of bottled water and food should be stocked in all possible areas where the hurricane might hit a week ahead of time? Are you for using our tax dollars wisely or for waste?
FEMA's function is to plan and prepare to respond during a sudden nuclear attack, and operate even during a time of war, they look like a bunch of amateurs when they cannot even respond well, when given detailed warnings a week in advance.

FEMA uses computer models to show areas that would be hardest hit from wind sheer, flooding, storm surge. You should afford the professionals at FEMA a modicum of common senses, to not stage supplies and equipment on beach front property, or low lying areas suseptable to flooding from the storm surge. Areas such as Coney Island, much of southern Brooklyn and Queens, portions of Long Island City, etc... are not the places FEMA would stage equipment for an impending hurricane.

You stage supplies and equipment in areas indicated according to your best computer models, and those would be a few miles inland, on elevated land, in properly reinforced buildings. The entire east coast is not like New Orleans, where everything is built on land below sea level, surrounded by swamps, rivers and tributaries.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:46 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
You mean exactly like the RW does, you are entirely welcome, anytime I can point to RW lunacy is a pleasure.
Yes everyone should be like you vilify republicans, oh they are

Old 11-09-2012, 08:39 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Christie is nuts! Our democratic mayor is angry. This goes farther than shallow politics such as all you democrat posters here protecting your loser president and NJ's stupid governor . It has to do with your fellow Americans ! I see your politics come before the American people who are democrats, republicans, independents, babies, elderly etc.
What ever are you talking about?

What is your mayor doing to rectify this situation? How about your state reps or congressperson?

I am truly sorry that things are bad where you are, but, they are bad where a lot of people are. Most of what you have expressed are minor inconveniences - so you had to drive the back roads to get to the supermarket. OMG.

People are helping.

Volunteers arrive to help residents in Belmar, NJ - New York News | NYC Breaking News

Belmar Opens Hurricane Help Center

Knights band together to help with Belmar relief effort « The Coast Star Sports

Still lots to do, of course, but, to suggest that NO ONE cares is simply outrageous.

Belmar Still Needs Your Help

Old 11-09-2012, 09:32 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What ever are you talking about?

What is your mayor doing to rectify this situation? How about your state reps or congressperson?

I am truly sorry that things are bad where you are, but, they are bad where a lot of people are. Most of what you have expressed are minor inconveniences - so you had to drive the back roads to get to the supermarket. OMG.

People are helping.

Volunteers arrive to help residents in Belmar, NJ - New York News | NYC Breaking News

Belmar Opens Hurricane Help Center

Knights band together to help with Belmar relief effort « The Coast Star Sports

Still lots to do, of course, but, to suggest that NO ONE cares is simply outrageous.

Belmar Still Needs Your Help
You must not read the thread . I said the mayor was the one who was moving things along. We the People with our calls got more of the electric back on.. 55% have heat compared to 15% yesterday after 11 days.

We are even getting free pet care and grooming for our pets . That was in the town's daily bulletin delivered today by a young gentlemen who knocked on my door who handed it to me.

Free coffee, meals and then some , free food from local restaurants . Games for the children and free firewood to those without heat and with a fireplace. Free blankets to those who need them.

If anyone gets the credit , it is the locals and those from churches around the country helping clear ruined items out of the homes .

Obama is a memory . He is on alto pilot now doing nothing but bring this country down.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
You must not read the thread . I said the mayor was the one who was moving things along. We the People with our calls got more of the electric back on.. 55% have heat compared to 15% yesterday after 11 days.

We are even getting free pet care and grooming for our pets . That was in the town's daily bulletin delivered today by a young gentlemen who knocked on my door who handed it to me.

Free coffee, meals and then some , free food from local restaurants . Games for the children and free firewood to those without heat and with a fireplace. Free blankets to those who need them.

If anyone gets the credit , it is the locals and those from churches around the country helping clear ruined items out of the homes .

Obama is a memory . He is on alto pilot now doing nothing but bring this country down.
And that's what the small government folks have been saying all along.
The locals can better serve their people than paper pushers sitting in DC offices.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:

Wonderful news.

So, y'all won't be filing any claims with FEMA then?
I ask this not to take away from the heart-warming support shown above but simply because I think that to praise one and condemn the other is simply hypocritical.

We are talking about two separate levels of support and anyone who believes that the feds are, or should be, responsible for the sort of support shown above is delusional.
And, to try to fault FEMA for not doing what they are not responsible for is just silly.

I know that the people on Staten Island are thankful to the U.S. Marines who flew in from the carriers docked off of NY and demolished their ruined houses for free.
I know that people are thankful for the military transport trucks that delivered gas and other supplies.
I know that people are thankful for the coordination that got those utility trucks from all over the country to your area. These are things that cannot be done locally. These require BIG responses and BIG efforts.
The people in Belmar cannot rebuild their beaches, etc. by themselves nor will they have to.

The point is to give credit where credit is due. That's all.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The difference betwen local emergency managements has we have seen in other storms. Being from a area effected by hurriacnes to include just recently Rita;Humberto and ike I can attest that its local planning by emergency mangement that makes the difference plus individual planning and taking necesary actions. Especially older people should have been evacuated from effect areas near coast and emergency management should ahve made sure the tranport was in place with drivers.We use 211 here to have list of persons with no tranportation that need to be picked up pre storm. Hopefully people will demand that if their management offical failed that it is corrected for the future.That is really the tregedy that was learned with Katrina;new orlreans had a paln paid for with federal funds;local emergency managemnt just didn't do anything to prepare to act on the plan from bus to having drivers for those school buses in the air video seen flooded out where parked,. FEMA is a small agency that uses contrctors;hires temporary workers and provides funding to local officals in local emergency managemnt to prepare for emrgencies. It then takes the three days for them to line up contractors to bring supplies that go to local emerrgncy management to issue to public. If local emergency management fails then a disaster can go from that to a tragedy> lastly never exclude person preparation or ignoring warnings as that can result in same thing.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:17 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Default FEMA Sign: Sorry we are closed due to weather.

FEMA Sign: Sorry we are closed due to weather.

Wow, government is doing a damn good job.

one guy said he was offered basically $19K for a house that was worth $300K, good job, good job.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Wonderful news.

So, y'all won't be filing any claims with FEMA then?
I ask this not to take away from the heart-warming support shown above but simply because I think that to praise one and condemn the other is simply hypocritical.

We are talking about two separate levels of support and anyone who believes that the feds are, or should be, responsible for the sort of support shown above is delusional.
And, to try to fault FEMA for not doing what they are not responsible for is just silly.

I know that the people on Staten Island are thankful to the U.S. Marines who flew in from the carriers docked off of NY and demolished their ruined houses for free.
I know that people are thankful for the military transport trucks that delivered gas and other supplies.
I know that people are thankful for the coordination that got those utility trucks from all over the country to your area. These are things that cannot be done locally. These require BIG responses and BIG efforts.
The people in Belmar cannot rebuild their beaches, etc. by themselves nor will they have to.

The point is to give credit where credit is due. That's all.
The credit goes to the taxpayers who fund the projects of the government. The government is The People. Not the other way around! Obama is nothing, government is nothing without the taxpayer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies