U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM

29,419 posts, read 18,692,407 times

Advertisements

You work for FEMA now too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 10:46 AM

7,541 posts, read 5,339,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
who said he did?

Old 11-08-2012, 10:46 AM

How do you know he is a he?

Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM

7,541 posts, read 5,339,426 times
Quote:
How do you know he is a he?
Does it matter? Seeing as this is just another faux outrage thread that failed form the first post.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 AM

21,640 posts, read 11,092,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
FEMA needs to clearly define and communicate its role and responsibilities and manage expectations.

States, counties and municipalities do not want to impose tax burdens on their people for weather related disaster mitigation/ recovery plans. How easy it would have been to require gas stations with more than X pumps to maintain generators and subsequent inspections. The cost would probably translate into a few more cents per gallon. So be it. It's better than the alternative being experienced in this region, right now.

We have seen how both NJ and NY expect the costs of recovery to be borne by the federal government. Sure beats states creating bonds and raising local taxes to service their own debt. Many of the same will then turn around and blame the bloated federal government for big bad government and substantial deficits. And around we go.
NJ and NY already have heavy tax burdens due to the union workers. NJ already has the highest property taxes in the country. I don't get free beach access in the summer. I as a resident have to pay to go to my own beach.

Oh, but Obama can throw money away on his quackery green agenda. That is fine with Obama supporters.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:51 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,370,071 times
If anything, I hope you folks walking away knowing that ultimately you're on your own in a disaster and plan for it.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:52 AM

Sounds like old Cold Cash Jefferson after Katrina............
New York’s Governor Andrew Cuomo reportedly fired his emergency management chief after learning that the official sent public employees to his house to clear a fallen tree in the driveway in the middle of Superstorm Sandy.
Read more at Andrew Cuomo Fires Chief Of Emergency Management For Misuse Of Workers [Report]
Steven Kuhr, the head of the New York Emergency Management Office, was responsible for coordinating the response to disasters, like Superstorm Sandy, according to Bloomberg BusinessWeek.
Kuhr was appointed by Cuomo in 2011. Before this, he was the CEO at Strategic Emergency Group LLC. Tree clearing crews like the one sent to Kuhr’s house have been in high demand in the aftermath of the storm, which killed power to almost 8.5 million homes in 21 states. Almost 200,000 homes are still without power, according to the Long Island Power Authority.
Kuhr was in Albany, New York when he learned that a tree had been knocked down in his driveway during the storm. He called the Suffolk County Emergency Management Office and asked them to remove the tree, according to an aide of Governor Cuomo.

Andrew Cuomo Fires Chief Of Emergency Management For Misuse Of Workers [Report]

Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 AM

12,482 posts, read 8,820,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If anything, I hope you folks walking away knowing that ultimately you're on your own in a disaster and plan for it.
Heck no personal responsibility not in this age , its bushes fault and big government will save us from having personal responsibility

Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,617,431 times
Quote:
Nope. I'm a paper pusher. Not a Government one though.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 AM

9,988 posts, read 6,278,555 times
Years ago we were without power for 10 days, 7 of them being below 32 degrees. The neighbors with gas chain saws got the street cleared in a couple of days, but we decided to stay and hunker down away. However, we had no flood water in the house and we had a fireplace! I would venture to say that most of these people don't have a fireplace on their second and third floors. Anyway, I can understand them wanting to stay put. I just wish there would have been a way to air lift them some hand warmers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies