Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 12:23 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,302 times

Advertisements

Still drinking Mitt's kool-aid about your premiums rising eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Sure - minimally-skilled labor where little or no training is required would be the obvious answer. But even then, there is the personal relationship and trust dimension. I've known dozens of similar examples of small businessmen who had good employees they depended on, trusted to open the shop, have the keys to the van, get the register receipts to the bank, whatever. It's how small business works, mostly. That's an investment, too - even if your people need nothing more than a pair of arms to do your work.
Yes, it will be hard on them. The guy who repaved my driveway is laying off all his people.
He doesn't want to and he likes the way his business is going along with his workers.
But he said financially he just can't afford it, it's too complex and he's just washing his hands of the whole mess and will work alone and take on less jobs. He wasn't happy about it but that is what he has to do to continue to makes ends meet.

There's not a lot of steady work out there. People are putting off what they can because of costs.
I did myself. Repaved only because I was putting the house up for sale. If not I would have just lived with the slowly eroding asphalt driveway for a bit longer.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So, in order to cut potential health care costs, which are minor in the big picture, you scale back your business and take in less revenue. Sounds like an idiotic business plan.
Not necessarily, if you're talking (as HappyTex was) about pool service and tree-trimming. It may be that Joe the Tree-Trimmer is content with his life and isn't interested in expansion. But if so, and there are more trees out there than he can trim, presumably that opens the door to Ed the Tree-Trimmer to go into business and trim the shaggy trees which Joe has left behind.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
So, in order to cut potential health care costs, which are minor in the big picture, you scale back your business and take in less revenue. Sounds like an idiotic business plan.
You also scaled back on your employees so less labor costs. Did you forget that piece ?

No wonder you Dems stick to social issues.....

Old 11-08-2012, 12:26 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

Here's one that was going to get unbalanced. So the owner did what he had to. And he wasn't too happy about it. But with Obama's re-election, he now knew that the unbalancing would not be cancelled.

Obviously it was the owner's own fault. Right?

I had one employer who took about 6 globetrotting vacations (2-4 weeks each) a year. I guess now he has to choose between laying off an employee and taking only 5 vacations next year.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:27 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,035,382 times
This is just the beginning folks. Obamacare is now here to stay. Soon, it will start to be implemented, and now businesses are preparing for it. It isnt just going to be bad on that front, just wait until it impacts the economy and healthcare itself. Hope you're happy liberals. Elections have consequences. Not one of you have a right to ever whine about Obamacare or healthcare in the future.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Sorry, your premiums haven't tripled since 2010. Premiums have been rising by 10% per year since 1970, well before there was Obama Care.
My premiums rose 20% the last 2 years..United Healthcare.
Before that they were 10% every year.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Ok, give us your figure for these "minor costs". How much will it cost an employer for each employee ?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
As someone who works in finance I know there are real decisions being made as a result of Obamacare. Still the story rings untrue. One of these 22 people would have turned up by now in tears on some local TV station by now.

Isn't finance the sector where people make tons of money without producing anything?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The BLS reported 500K new part time jobs last month. You guys on the left were rejoicing over the lowered UE number.

Now you know why.

How do we know these numbers aren't just a lot of BLS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies