U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:27 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,083,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Canada's free speech laws do not protect hate speech or defamation.
Except in Canada the definition of hate speech is more elastic than it is in the US, just like in the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 01:30 PM

14,920 posts, read 11,132,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Except in Canada the definition of hate speech is more elastic than it is in the US, just like in the UK.
What definition of hate speech is there in the US? Regardless - hate speech is protected free speech in the US.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:38 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,083,969 times
Quote:
What definition of hate speech is there in the US? Regardless - hate speech is protected free speech in the US.
Oh come on, do you really have to ask this? Prosecutable hate speech in the US is speech that calls for violence against a specific person or group of people.

But, like you said, most hate speech in the US is protected speech and not prosecutable. However, in the UK hate speech is speech that "disrupts community harmony" which is a very broad term, Canada is much the same way. In Canada;s Charter of Rights and Freedoms, freedom is speech is guaranteed but is subject to "reasonable restrictions", whatever that means.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:47 PM

1,407 posts, read 745,194 times
Quote:
Canada's free speech laws do not protect hate speech or defamation.
Then its not FREE speech...its acceptable speech within limits..its not free.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:28 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,526,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Canada doesn't have real rights, they have privileges that can be overturned by law.
If you take the freedoms Americans have and multiply it by a factor of ten you would still be short on the ratio of Canada to USA freedom. We are so much more free than the USA it's not even measurable at all. Unlike the USA where your freedoms are subject to a vague interpertation of a vague document by a court of political hacks Canada has the crystal clear, "Charter of freedoms and rights" constitution that has been upheld time after time after time by our supreme court. Things that happen hundreds of times a day in the USA like being harrased by law enforcement officials just does not happen here. I'm not under any obligation at all to answer to LEOs or to even identify myself to them. They can't search me or look in the trunk of my car and if they do without probable cause I'll sue them and I'll win a big judgement.

The fact that hate speech is a crime has zip to do with freedom. It's a LAW, you know it one of those pesky little things we all have to abide by that has been put in place by the people we elected to pass such things as laws.
I suppose you must think that somehow it hurts my freedom that I can't lie to the Canadian people on the news. Therefore we have no Canadian version of FOX or MSNBC. WE get the real FOX and MSNBC but we don't care about Americans being Driven nuts by your insanity over the airwaves.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:32 PM

5,576 posts, read 3,595,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
If you take the freedoms Americans have and multiply it by a factor of ten you would still be short on the ratio of Canada to USA freedom. We are so much more free than the USA it's not even measurable at all. Unlike the USA where your freedoms are subject to a vague interpertation of a vague document by a court of political hacks Canada has the crystal clear, "Charter of freedoms and rights" constitution that has been upheld time after time after time by our supreme court. Things that happen hundreds of times a day in the USA like being harrased by law enforcement officials just does not happen here. I'm not under any obligation at all to answer to LEOs or to even identify myself to them. They can't search me or look in the trunk of my car and if they do without probable cause I'll sue them and I'll win a big judgement.

The fact that hate speech is a crime has zip to do with freedom. It's a LAW, you know it one of those pesky little things we all have to abide by that has been put in place by the people we elected to pass such things as laws.
I suppose you must think that somehow it hurts my freedom that I can't lie to the Canadian people on the news. Therefore we have no Canadian version of FOX or MSNBC. WE get the real FOX and MSNBC but we don't care about Americans being Driven nuts by your insanity over the airwaves.
Excellent post. But don't expect "LibertyForever," who, like most people who give themselves patriotic names on anonymous forums, has absolutely no concept of honor, dignity, character, freedom or patriotism. If you read even a few of his posts here, you can quickly see that it's all about his own personal comfort zone, not that of any others -- and that comfort zone would appear to be somewhere in the 1920s, if you take my meaning. Pretty much everything he says is offensive to one group or another, and he's proud of it.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:45 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,526,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyForever View Post
Then its not FREE speech...its acceptable speech within limits..its not free.
Now, I want you to get a clue here. You most obviously do not understand the concept of Freedom as an idea applied in a social system. Of course ALL freedoms in that context have limits. Under your idea of freedom the fact that I'm not allowed to rape, pillage and kill would be a limit on my freedom. This definition of freedom is completely nonsensical. My freedoms are only as secure as the laws that guarantee them the LEOs that enforce them and the courts that guard them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies