Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:32 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I have all my medical needs done at the VA.
Not sure I'd want the VA to do my Brain Surgery or aggressively treat my cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and that 50 employe standard is what is going to hurt

many companies have right around that mark...those under WONT hire fulltimers and take themselves over the 50 mark

those ""Just"" over the 50 mark..will downsize, then rehire parttimers

The 50 employee standard is not new. I was always in place.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
that' one of the two questions liberals refuse to answer because even if you taxed the ''''rich'''' at 100%..you still wouldnt raise enough revenue...so the hard truth is........ EVERY TAXPAYER through the nose the 2nd question is guarentee that it wont be crapcare
I'm not actually a liberal, in either the classical sense, which I suspect applies to you, or the way the term is currently used here, which is probably what you meant.

But I'll be happy to give it a try. If everyone pays a small amount, such as the $128/mo charged by B.C.'s insurance plan, and if the plan represents everyone in the province, then on the cost side the provincial plan is able to negotiate much lower rates, while on the revenue side the modest premiums paid by everyone provide enough to cover the sick.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Not sure I'd want the VA to do my Brain Surgery or aggressively treat my cancer.

Oh, HELL no...

Old 11-08-2012, 01:35 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
VA hospitals have been very successful at treating my father's cancer. He's a very satisfied customer.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:36 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
The 50 employee standard is not new. I was always in place.
didnt say it was new

but the mandate/tax(fee) is new

Old 11-08-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I blame the costs for health care on the Congress of the United States. In 1965 they started us on the way downhill with Medicare. Now before you get too excited about it I have been on Medicare for nearly 15 years but I couldn't afford to pay for my own insurance once my wife's company kicked me into Medicare.

Back to the subject. Medicare has resulted in health care givers (hospitals, doctors, the whole bunch) raising what they charge to people on insurance because Medicare pays such a small amount of what they want to charge. Those care givers have to agree to take what Medicare will give them for any specific service and the per cent of that amount has gone down since the passage of Obamacare. I think they have proved quite well that government provided health care won't work but then we will see pretty fast after January 2014. The thing that gets me is that we have to pay taxes that supposedly are saved up for the onset of Obamacare for three or so years before it goes into effect. Those taxes will still be there after it goes in and we will get to pay more of them when single payer comes along.

BTW, where will the money for single payer (government controlled healthcare) come from?
And the caregivers have the same problem with private insurance companies. I get statrements from AvMed showing what the Dr. charged versus what AvMed pays. It's less than half.

Also, "Obamacare" is not single payer.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:39 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
VA hospitals have been very successful at treating my father's cancer. He's a very satisfied customer.
Depending on the Cancer I'd rather be at MD Anderson or one of the private hospitals. VA would be only because of the low or no cost.

But I don't know VA that well.

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
that' one of the two questions liberals refuse to answer

because even if you taxed the ''''rich'''' at 100%..you still wouldnt raise enough revenue...so the hard truth is........ EVERY TAXPAYER through the nose

the 2nd question is guarentee that it wont be crapcare
You pay right now. Either in premiums or lower pay or both. In the current US system pre ACA, you pay about double what other Industrialized Nations do, for the same basic quality of care. In a Govt run system, tax revenue would cover the costs, only the cost, as there would be no need for Ins Co profits off the top. It would not be Govt controlled care, in the VA for example, I make any decision, yea or nay, on what test or procedure I have. Of course the Doctors advise me, but the ultimate decision, is mine.

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
There are a few veterans at work, everyone of them pays $250 a month to have Blue Cross Blue Shield despite the fact they could get VA care for "free".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies