U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2012, 09:10 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 5,781,931 times
Reputation: 3108

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Keep sticking your fingers in your ears and singing, "la-la-la-la". It's happening whether you want to see and admit it, or not.
You obviously have never worked in upper management of a corporation. They just don't come in to work one day and say lets lay people off. For announcements to have come in this week, they would have had to plan for it months in advance. There are all types of legal requirements that must be met and they would have done the analysis well before the election.

To get a correlation you would have to show the layoffs happened months afterwards, but still that would only be a correlation and does not get you to causation. To understand the difference between correlation and Causation, I have cited something with a slideshow that may help you out. It is very basic. If you need something easier, I can probably find something with fruit in it.

Correlation VS Causation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Old Hyde Park, Kansas City,MO
1,145 posts, read 1,165,980 times
Reputation: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
A lot of defense contractors were told to hold up layoffs until after the election.
Isn't a defense contractor just an employee of the Gov't, i mean what Joe is going to buy some military weapons or a b52 bomber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,907 posts, read 5,240,019 times
Reputation: 8854
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
But the thing is ObamaCare was never going away, Romeny didn't mind it and the Senate had control. So would they have still laid off no matter what?
Not true. The House would have held Romney's feet to the fire, as would voters. He might not have shoved it as far off the planet as I would have wished, but there would have been some big changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,907 posts, read 5,240,019 times
Reputation: 8854
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Isn't a defense contractor just an employee of the Gov't, i mean what Joe is going to buy some military weapons or a b52 bomber.
Never mind. I misread the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
1,811 posts, read 2,661,164 times
Reputation: 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You obviously have never worked in upper management of a corporation. They just don't come in to work one day and say lets lay people off. For announcements to have come in this week, they would have had to plan for it months in advance. There are all types of legal requirements that must be met and they would have done the analysis well before the election.

To get a correlation you would have to show the layoffs happened months afterwards, but still that would only be a correlation and does not get you to causation. To understand the difference between correlation and Causation, I have cited something with a slideshow that may help you out. It is very basic. If you need something easier, I can probably find something with fruit in it.

Correlation VS Causation
I have worked in upper management ( Director of ops for a major hotel corporation) and my husband is in upper management as an Engineer in the medical device industry. I can tell you that the layoffs that have just happened ( yesterday and today) in his company are a DIRECT result of the re-election and Obamacare.
Yes, they have known what the implications were going to be months ago, however, if the election had gone the other way, although it is possible they would have had to still impliment layoffs, they would not have occured so imminently
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 5,781,931 times
Reputation: 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I have worked in upper management ( Director of ops for a major hotel corporation) and my husband is in upper management as an Engineer in the medical device industry. I can tell you that the layoffs that have just happened ( yesterday and today) in his company are a DIRECT result of the re-election and Obamacare.
Yes, they have known what the implications were going to be months ago, however, if the election had gone the other way, although it is possible they would have had to still impliment layoffs, they would not have occured so imminently
A directer in most companies is not upper management. Please tell me the name of the company he works for so that we can read their press release.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 10:38 PM
 
Location: the AZ desert
5,039 posts, read 3,805,972 times
Reputation: 8087
Here's another one:

"Crouse Hospital announced Thursday another round of cuts as it considers significant challenges down the road due to healthcare reform.

Seventy jobs – 23 that were vacant – were cut on Thursday, including nursing, nursing support and non-nursing positions."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 10:40 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 5,781,931 times
Reputation: 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Here's another one:

"Crouse Hospital announced Thursday another round of cuts as it considers significant challenges down the road due to healthcare reform.

Seventy jobs – 23 that were vacant – were cut on Thursday, including nursing, nursing support and non-nursing positions."
Again, you are failing to establish causation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 PM
 
Location: the AZ desert
5,039 posts, read 3,805,972 times
Reputation: 8087
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Again, you are failing to establish causation.
They're cutting jobs and say it's due to healthcare reform.

Feel free to spin it any way you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 5,781,931 times
Reputation: 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
They're cutting jobs and say it's due to healthcare reform.

Feel free to spin it any way you wish.
I saw two that said that and not the big ones. If there is a problem with Obamacare and business costs, I am all in favor of Obama's original plan...Universal Health Care. Take all of the costs away from employers. Obamacare was a very poor compromise. Lets go full monty and go straight for UHC. This will make companies more competitive internationally. You on board?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:30 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top