Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 12:36 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This is true. There is the sequestration and the Warn Law states that when anyone in the military will get layed-off the employers must give a 60 day notice to the employees. This summer the Obama administration wrote a letter to Lock Heed Martin encouraging them not to tell the employees until after the election but Lock Heed Martin said it was the law and they were obligated to follow the law. About a month later the Obama administration said don't tell the employees and the Obama administration would pay all legal fees. In other words the American tax payer will pay the legal fees for not telling people they were going to lose their job.

The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN) protects workers, their families, and communities by requiring most employers with 100 or more employees to provide notification 60 calendar days in advance of plant closings and mass layoffs.
I remember that. Break the law so it doesn't look bad right before the election and if there's a problem, we'll make the taxpayers cover your legal costs. [1]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 12:36 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Defense contractor Lockheed Martin heeded a request from the White House today — one with political overtones — and announced it will not issue layoff notices to thousands of employees just days before the November presidential election.

At White House Request, Lockheed Martin Drops Plan to Issue Layoff Notices - ABC News

Old 11-09-2012, 12:37 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Kat View Post
My company has been struggling for the past 3 years. They're trying to stay afloat as long as they can, but we all know we can't hang on for another 4 or 5 years.

Gosh, where is our bailout? Guess we need to unionize.
What good is a union if the company doesn't have the money and goes out of business? Think people!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:41 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
But the OP said that they'd be laying off 153,000 people -- their entire workforce.

That is a lie.
No, what you are saying is a lie. Re-read the first post in this thread - it says; "Lockheed-Martin - 123,000 layoffs"...not 153,000!!!

1,229 posts, read 1,147,530 times
The House will work I predict with Obama. No longer can they say that he was a fluke that the American people want out. If they do not work with him they will risk further putting them selfs in the corn field. The house lost seats to the dems and stayed in rep. hands only because of the redistricting gerrymandering that happened after the census. If the Republicans do not learn from this that the nation is moving away from the last century ideas of "Christian values" and its repressive attitudes they will loose more.

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The American public voted for this...give them what they want.

People need to learn that actions have consequences. I hoped we would be smart enough to learn from the trickle up poverty of the last 4 years...but the population of this country isn't that smart.
Starting once again, no lie, no kidding, but sad. I know two younger guys, who just got their walking papers, on their jobs both for 10 years.

How can this happen once again, sad, when you do have a young family. Here we go, one guy voted for obama, one did not, and the one who did, is the one cussing the most as of right now. Got to stay away from him, for right now he is crazy. And going off on Obama, like i have never heard, well you ass, you voted for the fool. I don't feel sorry for him in any way You asked for it.

People really think that Obama was bringing roses this time, when last time all we got was thorns, think again, this time will be worse.................. i truly don't care, you got what you wanted, you deserve, what you get.

Don't think this cannot happen to you, these two guys, both thought after being on their jobs for 10 years, they were safe.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
No, what you are saying is a lie. Re-read the first post in this thread - it says; "Lockheed-Martin - 123,000 layoffs"...not 153,000!!!
The 123,000 figure is still a lie. Lockheed Martin does not plan to lay off its entire workforce.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:50 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Feel free to keep your head in the sand. It's not my purpose in life to enlighten you.
But it's mine to enlighten you, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuters
source
Boston Scientific prepares job cuts, split of heart units

The medical device maker, which has been struggling since its 2006 acquisition of heart stent maker Guidant Corp, is expected to announce the additional layoffs within the next two months, according to a person close to the company. The number of layoffs was not specified.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:53 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Paaleeze, businesses are pro business, period.
Really, businesses are pro business? And in other breaking news, it gets dark at night and water is wet.

The only thing not pro-business is the left.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:57 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I despise stupid people!
Self-hatred is not the optimal space to be in.
Perhaps you should try therapy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies