Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:11 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You aren't forced to acknowledge anyone's marriage as valid. The State determines what marriages are valid or not.
The people are the state- if you weren't aware of that fact.

If the state decides that something is legal - it is being done in my name.

For instance - California has statutes that allow for executions - our death penalty law was recently reaffirmed. I voted to repeal it.

Though I am a death penalty opponent - each execution that California has carried out in the past 17 years - and any future ones while I remain a citizen of this state - will be done in my name - regardless of my opinion.

People choose which laws under which they shall be governed. If a district says that legally recognized marriage is between a man and a woman - then that is the law.

Maryland has recently made another arrangement legal - that is now the law in that state.

The people must be allowed to decide for themselves what the law shall be.

Anything else is chaos - or worse - totalitarianism.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:15 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
If anyone still can't understand the harm of gay marriage without it being repeated for the millionth time, then please don't try to debate it here. Not to mention it is off topic.

But I appreciate the ignorance of the responses. The fact that no one can address it intelligently from the liberal side just proves what I already knew.

So what exactly is the harm of gay marriage

Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

For instance - California has statutes that allow for executions - our death penalty law was recently reaffirmed. I voted to repeal it.

Though I am a death penalty opponent - each execution that California has carried out in the past 17 years - and any future ones while I remain a citizen of this state - will be done in my name - regardless of my opinion.

People choose which laws under which they shall be governed. If a district says that legally recognized marriage is between a man and a woman - then that is the law.

Maryland has recently made another arrangement legal - that is now the law in that state.

The people must be allowed to decide for themselves what the law shall be.

Anything else is chaos - or worse - totalitarianism.
Yes! Slavery should still exist in the southern states!! Absolutely!!

Are you even aware of the federal privileges awarded conveyed through civil marriage?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:

And conversely, if it decides that something is not legal, it is being prohibited in our name. Neither scenario conveys any intrinsic moral advantage.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:04 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
But I understand that liberals tend to remove and rewrite things if it doesn't fit their view. Even the Bible.
Quote:
It's no different with the Bible than it is with the modern day media. If anything doesn't fit into the liberal narrative they are trying to create, it will be rejected, destroyed or distorted in some manner.
LOL... I hope you realize that Bible YOU read has been translated & re-translated & interpreted a gazillion times over. Or did the fact that you quoted it in English not give you a hint? I've actually read the Bible in Hebrew many times, and it doesn't implicitly say anything about homosexuals - in fact, the word homosexual doesn't even exist in the language.

So you can blame it on "liberals" all you want, but the truth is that you're actually the one re-writing things.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:09 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Now to answer the question as a hypothetical (since I don't actually buy your interpretation of the passage), there are many Christians/Catholics/Jews/etc who support things with which the Bible might disagree. If you're a Christian, as I assume you are, can you honestly say there is NOTHING in that Bible you oppose or disobey? I mean, how can you be Christian and not support slavery or marital rape? Hmmmm.

I know many gay-friendly Christians and churches, in fact I know many gay people who are Christian themselves. How they reconcile that is their business, and their business alone - as religious beliefs are among the most personal beliefs one can have. I certainly don't judge how others practice their religions, considering I'm a Jew who works almost every Sabbath.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:11 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
No true Christian should support same sex marriage. Period.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:41 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,821,768 times
Quote:
What does "forcing ones beliefs" even mean.
The U.S. government recognizes hetero- marriage. By doing so, the government is serving members of one sub-culture and refusing to give equal service to members of another sub-culture. This is a theft of resources from the latter. All theft is rooted in force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
No true Christian should support same sex marriage. Period.
But a true Christian would step between a corrupt government and its victims; yes?

Quote:
What do you think of this New Testament passage?

Romans 1:18-31

Rom 1:18-31 NIV - God
I don't really support gay marriage. I oppose the government recognizing any marriage. But if we're a quasi-Nazi nation that regulates lives, then what is one to do? We must support truth. And the truth is that if I were a single man, married men would deserve no benefits from the government over me. And if I were a gay male, neither single man nor married man would deserve deserve from the government any benefit over me.

You're making the same mistake that I watched Santorum make when speaking to Greta tonight. He said that as a Catholic, he's obligated to help relieve the suffering of others. That made sense. But in the same breath, spoken like a comma splice, he said that the government has a role in that.

Where's the Bible say that? And where do those verses say that I'm supposed to participate in the oppression of Sodomites?

Tell me where you take the leap from being admonished to pull your own timber to using a gun to force another to remove his speck?

I pledge... liberty and justice for all.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 11-09-2012 at 12:50 AM..

Old 11-09-2012, 04:59 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... I hope you realize that Bible YOU read has been translated & re-translated & interpreted a gazillion times over. Or did the fact that you quoted it in English not give you a hint? I've actually read the Bible in Hebrew many times, and it doesn't implicitly say anything about homosexuals - in fact, the word homosexual doesn't even exist in the language.

So you can blame it on "liberals" all you want, but the truth is that you're actually the one re-writing things.
Proof that you didn't read the passage that I posted or even know what it says. It doesn't use the word homosexuality.

It describes it in complete detail. Word by word. It can't be more clear.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:09 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
At the risk of repeating myself I will say: the laws of the United States must not be based on the dogmas of particular religious group.

Are some Christians trying to turn the US into a Theocracy like Saudi Arabia or Iran?

Believe it or not, some Christian churches will marry same sex couples. Oh, but wait ... they are not TRUE Christians. Since I am not a Christian at all who am I to judge who is a true Christian or a false Christian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies