Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
LOL. No, you missed the whole point. I said using their own argument, it would make them what they accuse Christians of being. They are doing the name calling, not the Christians.
I am not in favor of forcing government policies that get in the way of personal freedoms of ANYBODY. Obviously, that would include the Christians who have been fine tuned to believe that they are being persecuted. The reason they feel that way is because they can't handle being a part of a society where PERSONAL FREEDOMS is meant to be whereas they are collectivists subscribing to a religious beliefs.

The very choice you make, of living in a secular nation, has implications. If you don't like it, look for a theocracy.

Quote:
For the reasons I have already explained, and again, it has nothing to do with the government.

Well, we are talking here.
This thread is not in religion forum, and there is a forum for that.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I read the posts you're talking about, and your logic is as non-existent now as it was then.
It is not a matter of logic, it is a matter of faith and Christians beliefs. You do not share those beliefs, which is why you rail against them.

Quote:
I love this post, I really do. Clearly, you are not a student of history. If you had even the slightest bit of education here, you'd know that in the mid 1800's that when Lyell first discredited the idea of a 6000 year old earth, it created a huge credibility problem for religion as a whole and Christian Protestants and Evangelicals only answer was to decide that the six days was symbolic of thousands of years of divine activity. Of course then guys like Darwin and Pasteur showed up and dealt even more fatal blows to religious institutions.
Completly off topic, but I have no idea what 'desicions' you are talking about and who would in in position to dedice for everyone else. Darwin hiself admitted there were gaping holes in his own theory, yet school teach his theory like it was a matter of fact.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:14 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
If we followed the Bible literally all of the time, we would stone women who have sex outside of marriage. If we did that, would there be any women left? Not many. It seems that many of us choose the parts we want to follow and throw out the rest. The Bible has been interpreted by many people, and there are many different opinions. I believe that people should live their own life in the best way they can, help not hurt others, and treat people well. I also know that passages in the Bible tell us to obey the law of the land. How does this work for all of the people upset about Obama's election? I just think if you are going to quote the Bible to support your beliefs, you have to follow all of it.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I am not in favor of forcing government policies that get in the way of personal freedoms of ANYBODY. Obviously, that would include the Christians who have been fine tuned to believe that they are being persecuted. The reason they feel that way is because they can't handle being a part of a society where PERSONAL FREEDOMS is meant to be whereas they are collectivists subscribing to a religious beliefs.
I am sorry you still don't get the point. It is not the Christians who feel percecuted over this issue, it is the gays.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:20 AM

429 posts, read 654,240 times
Quote:
It is not a matter of logic, it is a matter of faith and Christians beliefs. You do not share those beliefs, which is why you rail against them.

Completly off topic, but I have no idea what 'desicions' you are talking about and who would in in position to dedice for everyone else. Darwin hiself admitted there were gaping holes in his own theory, yet school teach his theory like it was a matter of fact.
I think it is more about teaching the scientific method over teaching fairy-tales passed down for over 2000 years of non-logical nonsense. Of course there are holes in many scientific theories, but the point is they go through a scientific method of inductive and deductive reasoning to help form conclusions. This is off topic, but I am still amazed how many people out there put fairtales over the scientific method. It is beyond disturbing.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
I think it is more about teaching the scientific method over teaching fairy-tales passed down for over 2000 years of non-logical nonsense. Of course there are holes in many scientific theories, but the point is they go through a scientific method of inductive and deductive reasoning to help form conclusions. This is off topic, but I am still amazed how many people out there put fairtales over the scientific method. It is beyond disturbing.
Then be disturbed, and cling to failed scientific theories. You certainly have the right to do that.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I am sorry you still don't get the point. It is not the Christians who feel percecuted over this issue, it is the gays.
Every attempt is being made by Christian collectivists to persecute not just gays but anybody that doesn't subscribe collectivism based on theological grounds, based on religious scripture. If anything, this has been an attempt at persecution of personal freedoms.

Since you claim to be a Christian, the only occasion you need to complain about being persecuted is when someone, an institution or a mob tries to take over your personal religious freedoms.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Every attempt is being made by Christian collectivists to persecute not just gays but anybody that doesn't subscribe collectivism based on theological grounds, based on religious scripture. If anything, this has been an attempt at persecution of personal freedoms.
So, now it's the Christians who percecute others. Make up your mind.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-19-2012 at 09:30 AM..

Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
So, not it's the Christians who percecute others. Make up your mind.
Not ALL Christians, but some have attempted it through out history. But it is those we have managed to keep from interfering in governance as much as we can, are the ones who scream about being persecuted (and you're included in that group). Given a free ride to their end, they wouldn't shy away from persecuting each other (given the factions) either. That wouldn't be unprecedented.

Let me repeat: Many of you are into persecution of those who don't subscribe to your belief system. And in your attempts, you've been successful, and have failed. It is when you fail, you start crying and whining about being persecuted.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Hence, why religion has been literally hemorrhaging followers for a couple centuries now. Educated people tend to reject blind faith ideology. That problem is central to this topic. You, like many others who believe in religious dogma, have made up your minds that your faith is correct and have no interest in examining it critically and...gasp...coming to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe, they were wrong about some things.

That is why you and another poster refused to even discuss the link I posted earlier that completely discredited the idea that the bible forbids homosexuality, even dismissing it out of hand as being from a "non-believer" when nothing could have been further from the truth. You'd rather insulate yourself from knowledge than question your faith.

And for the record, I don't "rail against" Christian faith. In all actuality, I don't give a damn what you guys do or what nonsense you believe. Where I draw the line is the law, since your type seems to have real trouble understanding this whole separation of church thing and the idea of live and let live.

Thankfully, my side has been absolutely crushing your side over the last decade or so, and we've just about won the fight.

Quote:
That's right. You don't have any idea, because you don't know **** about history, even the history of the religion you cling so strongly to. That said, I think I was pretty clear in explaining what those decisions were, but I'll do it again. Christians believed (and many still do) in a literal 6000 year old earth. When Lyell disproved this belief, the Protestant and Evangelical Christians decided that rather than accept that the bible was wrong, the six days it supposedly took God to create earth was symbolic and not literal.

And evolution is fact. You too clearly don't understand the application of the word "theory" in laymen speak vs. scientific terminology. Here, educate yourself.

Evolution Resources from the National Academies

Quote:
Then be disturbed, and cling to failed scientific theories. You certainly have the right to do that.
What "failed scientific theories" are you referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies