Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 06:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times

Advertisements

This is not a statement about the election or who was re-elected. It IS a question about what we as American citizens should now expect given the disasters and their responses we've seen to date.

I've seen thread after thread of posters discussing "prepping" and the immediate responses basically calling them tin foil hat crazy people. I do have to say those "preppers" affected by Sandy may be "foil hatters" but they're most likely warm,fed and powered under those foil hats.

Now that we've seen the response to Katrina and now Sandy as well as multiple tornados does anyone think that we can depend on the government both state and federal (no matter who's in charge) to save us or even keep us fed/warm if there's a disaster?
Call me a tin foil hat person but I think everyone had better start thinking seriously about what they're going to do "if" because sure as the sun comes up in the morning they will happen again.

You can blame whomever you like, point fingers all you want this transcends ALL party lines it seems and in my opinion this latest cluster on the East Coast underscores the fact that you can NOT depend on anyone to come save you with any kind of speed or efficiency and should be a wake up call to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 06:29 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
This is not a statement about the election or who was re-elected. It IS a question about what we as American citizens should now expect given the disasters and their responses we've seen to date.

I've seen thread after thread of posters discussing "prepping" and the immediate responses basically calling them tin foil hat crazy people. I do have to say those "preppers" affected by Sandy may be "foil hatters" but they're most likely warm,fed and powered under those foil hats.

Now that we've seen the response to Katrina and now Sandy as well as multiple tornados does anyone think that we can depend on the government both state and federal (no matter who's in charge) to save us or even keep us fed/warm if there's a disaster?
Call me a tin foil hat person but I think everyone had better start thinking seriously about what they're going to do "if" because sure as the sun comes up in the morning they will happen again.

You can blame whomever you like, point fingers all you want this transcends ALL party lines it seems and in my opinion this latest cluster on the East Coast underscores the fact that you can NOT depend on anyone to come save you with any kind of speed or efficiency and should be a wake up call to everyone.

There is an entire forum dedicated to survivalism, so this thread might be better put there.

And "prepper" seems like a deragatory term for the tin-foil "world be endin'" types.

Undoubtedly, everyone should (and many do) have emergency kits and plans, but it's more than just having the tools, it's the knowledge and skill as well that comes along with it.

If you live in the mid-west, you probably have a plan-of-action in the event a Tornado sweeps by. People in the coast undoubtedly have plans to pack up X and get out in the event of a hurricane. The thing with New York and New Jersey was that no one was really expecting a gigantic storm to wreck havoc so far up the coast. This thing was something like 600 miles wide, right? Most hurricanes are 200 miles wide?

Hopefully, people do build and learn some emergency survival skills--but you don't need or have to live the bizarre "prepper" lifestyle to do that. Three-days worth of food, water, and medicine is generally sufficient for most people. Assistance will usually be available by then.

The Red Cross was there two days after the storm, the National Guard the day before the storm hit. But being able to rely only on yourself for a few days is a good idea.

Do you need to buy a closet full of AR-15s and know how to skin a bear? No. Should you have a few gallons of water and a couple of boxes of non-perishable food? Yes.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Some people will. Most will keep some preps. But you'll always have those that do nothing.

You need more than a few gallons of water and a couple of cans of food to last a week or more after a disaster.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Some people will. Most will keep some preps. But you'll always have those that do nothing.

You need more than a few gallons of water and a couple of cans of food to last a week or more after a disaster.
If you only rely on yourself, sure, you can stock up for two months and survive the majority of the recovery period. Most people won't and don't need that.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
If you only rely on yourself, sure, you can stock up for two months and survive the majority of the recovery period. Most people won't and don't need that.
Look at NYC. They are not back to normal. The USG tells you to keep a 3 day supply.
I think that is way too short of a time period.

I certainly wouldn't assume that FEMA is going to come along and give me food and water.
That is the easiest prep anyone can put together.

I'm good for a month with how I shop if you take milk out of the picture.
I only food shop every other week and have a stocked pantry that I rotate.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Look at NYC. They are not back to normal. The USG tells you to keep a 3 day supply.
I think that is way too short of a time period.

I certainly wouldn't assume that FEMA is going to come along and give me food and water.
That is the easiest prep anyone can put together.

I'm good for a month with how I shop if you take milk out of the picture.
I only food shop every other week and have a stocked pantry that I rotate.
Had the people affected by Sandy followed FEMA/USG suggestions they'd have been ok for those 3 days. Now we're on day what and many,many are still without power,food,water,heat and (so far according to them) have not seen any agencies except the building inspector who in many cases tagged their house as uninhabitable.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
This election shows that most people will just put all their faith and trust in the government. Obama will provide all anyone could want and need -- FEMA will be right there to the rescue, why do anything for yourself?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 AM

You had people on Wednesday looking for gas and food. That's one day after the storm.

They were more concerned with charging their phones than making sure they had enough to eat.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post

most people dont do that because they still expect uncle sugar to save the day when it is all over and done with. imagine how bad it would have been if the hurricane would have been a cat5 and 600 miles wide.

never too late to start preparing.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:33 AM

603 posts, read 966,785 times
In before the transfer of this thread/

I prepare my family, for many things.
My children (young) are learning Krav Maga. From me, and others...
NO ONE ELSE HERE SHOULD EVER TRY IT!!!!!
(cuz then we'd had competition...)

And, to stay away from the windows.

~ Democrat.

P.S.
Should buy one of those gun thingies and learn how to use it though...been meaning to do that.
lol, was in the military, for a few years, don't imagine they sell crappy M-16s anymore though.
At those gun shows were you buy one piece of the gun at one store, then another at the other...

Anyways, not good for close range protection.
Maybe a pistol, or sawed off shotgun?

P.P.S.
Still looking for a Bug Out Location, can I share one with ya? No one wants to share their ideas on that.
We don't eat much and work very hard. Won't cut yr throat in the night
or nothing like that....seriously. Prepping is always a good idea.
just, y'know, don't get carried away...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies