Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:08 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times

Advertisements

I find Sears mens clothes to be the most up to date and quality. Structure is one of their house brands now and their dress shirts and pants are fantastic and affordable.

I tried to find similar items in JCP and could not.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:16 AM

127 posts, read 142,987 times
I wonder if Jaclyn Smith is the reason most of the Kmart stores closed? Walmart had better watch out or Paula Dean will be their downfall.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:22 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Funny, Ellen does very well for Warner Bros.

Warner Bros. and stations carrying Ellen DeGeneres' show have to be very pleased. Ellen was tops not only in households but also among women 25 to 54 (with a 2.2 rating among the key daytime audience demo), women 18 to 49 (1.7) and adults 25 to 54 (1.4).

Katie Who? Ellen DeGeneres Crushes, Delivers Best Ratings Since 2003 - The Hollywood Reporter

Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Ellen is Penney's spokesperson? I never even noticed, lol. But the adult women's clothing, almost regardless of what store I've been in, is ugly and not professional attire. I went back to sewing my own and looking at secondhand stores. Today's looks are just too frumpy, and the colors are more for Asian or black skin tones. I am sick of pants suits. Locally, clothing just hangs on the store racks forever until it's discounted about 75%. I can see why stores are not profitable.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
eh, Kohl's is killing them and everyone else. Nice, new stores that are easy to get to. JCP stores are ghetto.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
You learn something every day: I never knew Ellen DeGeneres was JC Penney's spokesperson.

Maybe that's the problem -- no one is paying attention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
They're trying to be all things to all people and not doing any of it well.
Agreed. Just as Sears, another general merchandise store, does hardware and home improvement well, JC Penney does housewares well -- draperies, shutters, bedding, kitchen ware, etc. Perhaps that's what the focus should be: where the company already is strong.

Quote:
I admire Penny's for choosing Ellen, but they can't stop there--they've got to bring their stores and product line up if they expect to stay open. Great marketing doesn't fix a bad product line and grim looking, disorganized stores.
Good point.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
JCPenney's downfall has very little, if anything, to do with DeGeneres.

For anyone that shops there, they have done a major overhaul of ,at least, most of the stores in my area. They've tried to update themselves (the stores do look better); however, their already pedestrian merchandise has slid down into cheap, garish looking stuff. It used to be geared toward the "older" crowd but they noticeably tried to appea to the under-30 set for women and it has been too drastic a change for their long-time customer base, while young people don't want to go near them.

They needed scale back on their change and tweak some of the stodginess out and they just went too far.

I don't know what I think about their new pricing schedule. On one hand, it's nice not having to deal with the scam that I'm always getting 40% off of something (like a Kohl's which is such BS), but people do like to feel like they can take advantage of a sale.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:53 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Didn't a lot of people say that the whole move that JCP made to "eliminate" coupons and deals and special time periods where you could get better prices and instead just institute low prices all the time, didn't that backfire on them Enormously and cost them huge amounts of sales?

I seem to remember there being a lot of talk saying that that move alone hurt them huge amounts
Exactly.

Ellen DeGeneres didn't have a thing to do with JCP's fall. Their CEO was an idiot who tried to turn the business into a giant Apple Store. It bit them where the Lord split em.

I've shopped less at JCP personally because with the elimination of all their coupons it makes less sense financially to shop there. They do have decent products in their big and tall men's inventory but now it is too expensive.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:59 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
JCPenney's downfall has very little, if anything, to do with DeGeneres.

For anyone that shops there, they have done a major overhaul of ,at least, most of the stores in my area. They've tried to update themselves (the stores do look better); however, their already pedestrian merchandise has slid down into cheap, garish looking stuff. It used to be geared toward the "older" crowd but they noticeably tried to appea to the under-30 set for women and it has been too drastic a change for their long-time customer base, while young people don't want to go near them.
The Gap did the same when they tried to attract teens and lost their older customer base.
I still have some nice apparel from them bought before the switch.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:05 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Everyone is free to analyze the situation and draw their conclusions
Sure, but the problem is you've only done the "draw conclusions" part of the process.

JC Penney's Epic Rebranding Fail - Forbes

Essentially, it's like you've come down with a case of food poisoning and you are blaming it on a sandwich you ate a month ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies