Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will we go off the Fiscal Cliff on Dec. 31
Yes 33 53.23%
No 29 46.77%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Why aren't we talking about closing down bases in other countries before we start kicking people into the streets?
Why aren't we talking about cutting subsidies that just go towards padding the profits of big businesses before we start cutting back on people basic needs?
An excellent place to start. But as we know, the military industrial complex is huge and all they have to do is start complaining that we will be defenseless and they get all of the money they want. It is just like when doctors start warning that if they don't get all of the money they want, we will DIE! Everyone has a way of scaring us into getting the money they want. And don't ever mention the possibility of stopping the funding of oil companies ... the job creators. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
At least two, and possibly more, posters keep laying the Bank Bailout on Obama's administration.
H
I lay this whole mess on Obama's and his administration. All he did was increase the welfare rolls, spent and wasted a lot of money on green energy and nothing for anyone else other than his special interest groups and embarrassed the US in the world.

Yes, this mess belongs to santa.

If he gets what he wants the next thing you know he will demand 75%. To hell with it all. I am sick of supporting lazy ***. Let it all expire. You voted for him and we are going to pay. We ALL need to pay for his spendaholic ways.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
The Democrats demolished our housing market, and the notions of a 'USA based energy economy' or 'energy independence is impossible with a radical environmentalist in the White House.

Obama and the rest of the Democrats starting with Al Gore are too beholden to the greenies of the world to jumpstart our economy, especially when you have an Energy Secretary who IS FANATTICAL about the USA having European-level gasoline prices, yet still remains employed!!!!!!!

And yes, that 'stimulus' was indeed an abject failure; that's not open to debate.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times
heres whats interesting....

Obama comes out and says...since my people voted for me so nicely, it is a direct suggestion that they like my planning, therefore we must put my idea's into effect and thats that...

another way of saying it...

Everyone voted for me so that gives me the excuse

Old 11-13-2012, 10:35 PM

831 posts, read 680,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
President Obama has just used the bully pulpit of the Presidency to apply extreme pressure on the Republican Congress. One of the first times in memory.

1) There must be revenues coupled with cuts and there absolutely has to be more revenue from the top 2% (non necessarily higher rates).

2) He is ready to sign a bill that makes permanent the current tax rates for 98% of Americans (those making under $250,000).

3) Puts the onus of any tax increases on all Americans past Dec. 31 (the Fiscal Cliff date) on the Republicans.

4) Reiterated that he ran on this platform and the issue has been decided by the elections.

Lots of pressure. How will Congress react?
Like what ever comes out of the romney pie hole, looks like he was planning on taxing the rich also, except he didnt want to tell you the truth at hand, he basically sold his stupid minions a pack of lies.
At least Obama told everyone what he wanted to do.

Mitt Romney Economic Adviser Calls For Raising Taxes On The Rich, Contradicting Entire GOP Campaign

Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The Democrats demolished our housing market, and the notions of a 'USA based energy economy' or 'energy independence is impossible with a radical environmentalist in the White House.

Obama and the rest of the Democrats starting with Al Gore are too beholden to the greenies of the world to jumpstart our economy, especially when you have an Energy Secretary who IS FANATTICAL about the USA having European-level gasoline prices, yet still remains employed!!!!!!!

And yes, that 'stimulus' was indeed an abject failure; that's not open to debate.
Well, it is a bit more complicated than that. It was pretty non-political.

Under Bush and Greenspan, the Federal Reserve allowed the major banks to open up off-balance sheet companies which lent out trillions of dollars to anyone who wanted it for whatever house they wanted. I am not sure what is the political affiliation of the bankers, but my guess is that most are probably Republicans.

When the housing bubble went bust, (I think you will like this part), both Bush and Obama agreed that the bankers should be bailed out and thus they didn't lose a dime as a result of their despicable loan practices. So it was a bi-partisan effort of both parties to bail out Wall Street. Also, both parties (I love it when our political parties find common ground) agreed that the banks should all continue to receive aid. As a result, the Wall Street crowd has been able to give themselves a continuous stream of Christmas bonuses in the range of tens of billions of dollars. The only downside, is that everyone else (besides the top 1%) is getting a lot poorer paying off the trillions of dollars it cost to bail out Wall Street.

So, if anyone has any doubts about whether our parties can come together and act quickly, let there be no doubt that they can. Only, it has to involved making the wealthy wealthy. As for the rest of us, we can pass the cake around.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Yes. that is what the bully pulpit is for. Every President leads in this way. My problem has been that Obama was pretty much non-existent over the last few years, only coming out with gay rights, immigration action right before the election. Finally he is beginning to speak to the people and establishing a position. It is about time and I am happy he is doing it.
No.
That's certainly not all. Interesting how that's what you see.
Everything he introduced was threatened with filibuster, met with obstructionists.

Last edited by chielgirl; 11-13-2012 at 10:53 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
Like what ever comes out of the romney pie hole, looks like he was planning on taxing the rich also, except he didnt want to tell you the truth at hand, he basically sold his stupid minions a pack of lies.
At least Obama told everyone what he wanted to do.

Mitt Romney Economic Adviser Calls For Raising Taxes On The Rich, Contradicting Entire GOP Campaign
Yep, raising taxes is inevitable. Right now, most of our debt is being paid for by the Federal Reserve (neat trick) by printing more money. The only problem with this is that the country is sinking faster and faster into an economic depression under the mountain of debt it is accumulating (it is breathtaking). So, there has to be some cuts and some new revenue. But careful. Not too much. The rich do like getting richer even if it means we all get poorer. Watch the politicians create a ring around their favorite government pork (as if the oil companies need billions in subsidies).

Old 11-13-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Rubbish.
Everything he introduced issues, he was threatened with filibuster, met with obstructionists.
Do a bit more reading and then we can talk .. but in complete grammatical sentences please so I can have some idea of what you are trying to say.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 PM

831 posts, read 680,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No.
Everything he introduced was threatened with filibuster, met with obstructionists.

I think this should clear up some of the BS that been shoved down your throat.
In any case, your obstructionists movement has run its course and its time for payback.

Newt Admits to GOP Conspiracy to Block President Obama's Policies - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies