U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM

5,385 posts, read 6,525,293 times

Advertisements

Do you think it is ever harsh or uncaring, for society not to offer younger couples who are say ~20-24, a viable, self-sufficient financial path to marriage in today's society? In 2012 and for at least several decades now, unless they are fortunate enough to have been born into a well-to-do family perhaps for example, there is pretty much no way that young people in this age range can have any sort of living wage that is large enough to support a marriage and a family, let alone a house and car. I can't help but think that there is some significant emotional suffering, scarring, and longing that young people must inevitably endure, by having to put off marriage until their late 20's, early 30's, or even later. Modern society seems to have unilaterally decided that things like college, careers, and financial status are all much more important (and indeed also mutually-exclusive) to the concept of early-20-something marriages.

I do understand that some people will probably cite statistics that say that people who marry younger are more likely to divorce, but please also keep in mind, and to the best of my understanding, the trend of younger people divorcing sooner may also be a relatively recent modern trend, as well (compared to the more distant past, that is). Plus, modern society often strongly and actively discourages younger people from marrying while they are younger, anyway, so I would make the point that there is an inherent underlying bias against younger marriages to begin. The idea of younger marriage is often made out to be thought of in a pejorative manner, such as being "uncool", "not fun", "not hip", etc., etc. It is sometimes seen as unfairly robbing young people of having an opportunity to have fun or a good time, while they are still young (which I don't personally believe either; I would have jumped at the chance to marry the right girl when I was say 20-24, if I had actually met her).

I also certainly believe that many parents and older adults are well-meaning and care about their children and/or young people, when they encourage them to pursue college, a career, and "finding themselves", when they are younger vs. entering into a marriage while they are younger, but I would still ask them to re-consider the possibility that by doing so, it may have a profound and immeasureable emotional cost, as a side effect? For example, if things were different in society and younger marriage was not thought of as a bad thing to be avoided, perhaps we could also be extension reduce the number unplanned youth pregnancies, STDs, as well as certain psychological trauma such as depression, loneliness and extreme longing for real love, etc., that could potentially result from a young person who might actually want to marry younger if s/he could? But for whom which society also makes that almost 100% financially and practically unrealistic, not to mention (again) the fact that society almost always sees younger marriage as "uncool" and "un-fun" anyway?

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 11-09-2012 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Fixed typos / Edits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 05:10 PM

21,188 posts, read 20,997,302 times
No. I don't think it's uncaring and harsh. I think it's real life. And in real life - things don't get handed to you. And in real life - people who are not old enough to support themselves shouldn't be making huge life decisions that they aren't ready for. I don't see that not getting married young or having children when you are in your early 20's as being a problem at all. I think it's actually smart to wait until you are older, more mature, and have a better handle on your life and who you are. This has nothing to do with being uncool or unhip and everything to do with being an actual adult. And unplanned pregnancies have nothing to do with people going to college and waiting to get married. It has to do with education and understanding that actions have consequences.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:16 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
No, I think anyone who expects a handout is a piece of trash.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,558,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Do you think it is ever harsh or uncaring, for society not to offer younger couples who are say ~20-24, a viable, self-sufficient financial path to marriage in today's society?

No.

[i'm not reading the rest of your post]

Old 11-09-2012, 05:22 PM

43,546 posts, read 52,637,306 times
No. It's uncaring and absolutely ridiculous to give people fish instead of teaching them to fish.
Besides, it's pretty dumb to get married that young anyway.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM

12,540 posts, read 12,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Do you think it is ever harsh or uncaring, for society not to offer younger couples who are say ~20-24, a viable, self-sufficient financial path to marriage in today's society? In 2012 and for at least several decades now, unless they are fortunate enough to have been born into a well-to-do family perhaps for example, there is pretty much no way that young people in this age range can have any sort of living wage that is large enough to support a marriage and a family, let alone a house and car. I can't help but think that there is some significant emotional suffering, scarring, and longing that young people must inevitably endure, by having to put off marriage until their late 20's, early 30's, or even later. Modern society seems to have unilaterally decided that things like college, careers, and financial status are all much more important (and indeed also mutually-exclusive) to the concept of early-20-something marriages.
I think that's a good thing, actually, because I think that, in general, it's better to wait until one is older, anyway. People do so much growing and changing in their 20s. Also, getting married young can leave someone with a lot of "what-ifs." Your early 20s are your time to do what you want, with whom you want, before you settle down and start a family, because then you have other people to consider with the things you do.

And not for nothing, but poverty has never stopped people from getting married, if they really want to. I just don't think very many young people are suffering the longing or scarring you seem to think they are.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:43 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,552,412 times
I have thought the opposite: that in order for young adults to survive (i.e. eat, pay rent or mortgage, fill car with gas) it seems 1 income is not enough often times! (Especially since most in the 20-24 age range earn lower / entry level wages). I'd think it would push many of them into relationships and marriages for the added income! I honestly don't know how young people make it today without a spouse who also brings in a paycheck. Everything is outrageously expensive. I guess they just stay living with mom & dad or room-mates if they're not getting married.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:46 PM

14,439 posts, read 17,361,950 times
Poor people all over the world get married everyday.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 PM

264 posts, read 249,543 times
You want a child bride. We get it.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:41 PM

33,046 posts, read 22,043,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Poor people all over the world get married everyday.

At much lower rates than the non-poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies