Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 04:21 PM

68 posts, read 52,455 times

Advertisements

"For decades, the U.S. Census Bureau has reported that over 30 million Americans were living in “poverty,” but the bureau’s definition of poverty differs widely from that held by most Americans. In fact, other government surveys show that most of the persons whom the government defines as “in poverty” are not poor in any ordinary sense of the term. The overwhelming majority of the poor have air conditioning, cable TV, and a host of other modern amenities. They are well housed, have an adequate and reasonably steady supply of food, and have met their other basic needs, including medical care. Some poor Americans do experience significant hardships, including temporary food shortages or inadequate housing, but these individuals are a minority within the overall poverty population."

Click image for larger version

Name:	chart 1.gif
Views:	3847
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	103609

Click image for larger version

Name:	chart 2.gif
Views:	702
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	103610
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 04:29 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times
Exactly... "BUT THINK OF THE POOR!"

Old 11-11-2012, 05:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Well....that may be true in urban areas...but I have been to people's homes, who have no air conditioning, or cable, no cell phones, real poverty. It does exist.

Usually these are older folks. Minorities. Sadly, mostly WW II veterans.

I have been to homes on Indian Reservations that were true poverty.

So....we are not talking about the section 8 scammers....who have under the table income and parents who give them money. Or have kids with men, don't get married...but get money from the men who are working, and living part time with them.

I have pretty much seen the gamut of poverty in our country....and black folks in the south are the ones, who seem the poorest to me. The ones on Social Security.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well....that may be true in urban areas...but I have been to people's homes, who have no air conditioning, or cable, no cell phones, real poverty. It does exist.

Usually these are older folks. Minorities. Sadly, mostly WW II veterans.

I have been to homes on Indian Reservations that were true poverty.

So....we are not talking about the section 8 scammers....who have under the table income and parents who give them money. Or have kids with men, don't get married...but get money from the men who are working, and living part time with them.

I have pretty much seen the gamut of poverty in our country....and black folks in the south are the ones, who seem the poorest to me. The ones on Social Security.
I have no air conditioning, no cable, only a cheap pre-paid cell phone - and yet I'm wealthy enough to be in that fewer than 53% that must pay federal income tax.

I know a physician who has no cable television. It really seems to me that only some in the middle class actually can live without cable, air conditioning, and the more expensive cell phones. The so-called poor view all that as necessities.

I think you'd be very hard-pressed to find a minority without air conditioning, cable or cell phones -- I know of no minority except that physician without cable television that doesn't have all those.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:01 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
I have said it before and I will again. Very few Americans have seen real poverty. Travel the world and catch a clue.
Poverty is living in a 4 walled tin shack with a dirt floor. No running water indoor plumbing of any kind and electricity is something only the rich can afford. That is poverty.
lack of cellphone, cable or a/c? LOL Thats how I grew up.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:08 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
In the last 5 years I have been to all 48 continental states. Man, have I seen poverty. Bad, grinding, third world poverty. It's spread all around the country. From urban wasteland to rural shacks. If you have travelled much in the USA you have seen lots of really poor folks. This crap about cell phones and xboxes is just plain ignorance and a hiding your head in the sand carelessness. You know there are lots of ministries that attempt to make sure the kids have something to eat before they go to school in Appaliachia!!!

Last edited by lucknow; 11-11-2012 at 06:32 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 06:13 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I have no air conditioning, no cable, only a cheap pre-paid cell phone - and yet I'm wealthy enough to be in that fewer than 53% that must pay federal income tax.

I know a physician who has no cable television. It really seems to me that only some in the middle class actually can live without cable, air conditioning, and the more expensive cell phones. The so-called poor view all that as necessities.

I think you'd be very hard-pressed to find a minority without air conditioning, cable or cell phones -- I know of no minority except that physician without cable television that doesn't have all those.
I always find the amusement of people who don't actually know any poor people, yet are bonafied experts on how luxurious they have it :-P. All of the poor friends I have don't have that many of modern amenities, most have bare bones cell phones, most have no cable, and quite a few have no air conditioning.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:15 PM

225 posts, read 369,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
In the last 5 years I have been to all 48 contental states. Man, have I seen poverty. Bad, grinding, third world poverty. It's spread all around the country. From urban wasteland to rural shacks. If you have travelled much in the USA you have seen lots of really poor folks. This crap anout cell phones and zboxes is just plain ignorance and a hiding your head in the sand carelessness. You know there are lots of ministries that attempt to make sure the kids have something to eat before they go to school in Appaliachia!!!
Yes; People who do not travel much or don't try to see the other side of America will probably say this.

I do plenty of community service in Atlanta and beyond, and poverty exist on a major scale.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I always find the amusement of people who don't actually know any poor people, yet are bonafied experts on how luxurious they have it :-P. All of the poor friends I have don't have that many of modern amenities, most have bare bones cell phones, most have no cable, and quite a few have no air conditioning.
I'm sure I know a lot more than most people as I live in one of the poorest regions of the country -- the border region, and virtually everyone has air conditioning, cable tv, cell phones. Believe me -- or actually visit a poor region and see for yourself.

Most of the kids here are born to Medicaid families the majority live off food stamps and WIC -- but believe me, they all know what air condioners and video games are.

I spent this past summer in northern New Mexico where the Indian reservations are -- and I didn't see any homes without air conditioners. There was some visible poverty but there seems to be more than enough money for alcohol and drugs. In fact that seemed to be the biggest problem.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:20 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
It's not easy to find houses that were built without AC or with no cable running to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies