Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
If it happens....might be too bad for you...that dwindling tax base while keeping the government overhead in place would be a SCARY thing....wouldn't it?
It is not going to happen. Like I said if someone is not happy with the country, there is no law keeping them here. Leave. Think about how much we would save in Social Security payments if the tea party left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
It is not going to happen. Like I said if someone is not happy with the country, there is no law keeping them here. Leave. Think about how much we would save in Social Security payments if the tea party left.

Obviously, if the states seceded....they are doing so with the thought of giving other people a place to live... People who have the same ideals, interests and common bonds.

You know.....like... Sweden???

Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Really?

Please expound... I can't even begin to refute this without your reasoning....

EDIT: Well I can...because it's all a matter of preference and ones definition of prosperity. But to make more sense of the whole argument.. I need your position.
It is late so a short answer will have to suffice.

First, as I have pointed out on numerous occasions you cannot delineate a geographical demarcation for secession.

Second, no simple plurality has the right to deny the U.S. citizenship of the people based upon where they presently reside.

Third, we resolved this issue 150 years ago.

And fourth, if you wish to understand my reasoning at length, please refer to the Daniel Webster's argument from his debate with Robert Hayne in their 1830 debate.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:44 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Obviously, if the states seceded....they are doing so with the thought of giving other people a place to live... People who have the same ideals, interests and common bonds.

You know.....like... Sweden???
States are not going to secede. The U.S. is not giving up any land. In my mind, to even speak of it is treasonous. However, there is nothing preventing those people who wish to leave from doing so.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:47 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The U.S. is not giving up any land.
The US gives up land all the time (re: The Mining Act of 1872).
The General Mining Act of 1872 has left a legacy of riches and ruin - seattlepi.com

Old 11-14-2012, 12:47 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
» When Bush Was President, Secession Talk Was Cool - Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion

» Lawrence O’Donnell calls for secession … in 2004 - Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion

Tim Keel's Blog: Revolution in Jesusland

Can't believe no one remembers the "Jesusland" joke the Left was making after losing in 2004.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:38 AM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Bet all of you on the left would love it if you could do that to everyone in C-D who has ever posted something that you disagreed with.

Why don't you start a petition on C-D for just that.

But, directly related to your post - don't you think this really shows up the intolerance of the left? You would deny citizens their rights because...what...?...you don't like the way they think...?

WOW.

I bet you already knew this.
It's not really a secret.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:47 AM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
[quote=Mayiask;26941097]Oh good grief. So now you're saying that it is ok for people to start a petition that you support, but not ok for others to start one equally as meaningless as yours.
[quote]

That's not what it's really about though.
Squashing and demagoguery of the voice of others is the obvious method.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:51 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
A new petition was started on the same website @ whitehouse.gov in regards to the tinfoil hat RWNJ's that are requesting secession even though they're not State officials or in any capacity to secede from anything.

It's a petition to strip the citizenship of ALL who signed that secession petition and peacefully boot them from the land of the free and home of the brave.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-them/ZbMjcwPf

Count me as a +1.
As free individuals, any citizen is free to pursue his interests. We are not slaves to any government. This was a government set up for the people by the people, and this social contract has been reneged on, so it is time for the people to take their government back.

I would LOVE to get sent to a state full of "RWNJ'S", as long as you take your 3rd world Africans, Mexicans, Indians, etc. with you for your "diverse" utopia.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:21 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
We're going about it all wrong guys n gals.

We don't need to secede from the US.

We need to dissolve Washington DC in it's entirety.

Hey, Washington.... you don't work for US anymore. You're FIRED!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies