Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 09:04 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,205 times

Advertisements

Look, there's a large section of the American populous that wants nothing to do with equal opportunity. When opportunity is truly equal you can't pretend that this

is more qualified than this

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 09:37 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
...and saying "equal opportunity" doesn't always mean that it actually exists in all situations.
Fair enough and it should be addressed vigorously if instances of discrimination are discovered but to conclude that simply because there is a disparity automatically indicates racism or discrimination is short sighted.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,108,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Eddie...there's doing the right thing and doing the wrong thing.
Just because he's doing something doesn't mean it's good for either the races or America.
Short term gratification does not equate to long term success.

We will soon have 3 different measures of success for schools. Less is expected from certain races.
That will improve the numbers though that the Dept of Education puts out.
The numbers will show that more students passed their test and graduated.
But does that mean we have a better educated society ?

We graduate students now. Our expectation is that they can read at 8th grade levels when they leave high school.
And we're happy with that. And it's a struggle for many 18 year olds to even reach 8th grade reading levels.

What's happening in the schools is being rolled out to real life here. I'm trying to tell you it's not a good idea and once we start going down this path there is no going back. It's a bad move and a bad precedent to set.
I don't know what to make of this OP b/c the Conservatives on here are notorious for posting outright lies or deeply deceptive information as facts. I don't agree w/ equalizing outcome, but attempting to equalize opportunity should always be on the table. If anything, I would expand how we do that by focusing on poor people in general, not just minorities b/c that creates scapegoats. I guarantee a majority of Conservatives would not have a problem w/equalizing opportunity if they thought it benefited White Americans too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Right...i get tired of hearing that crap too.

They belittle blacks by saying that "he didn't do anything for blacks," but God forbid he actually did something for blacks...then folks would be p*ssed.

It's not his job to do something for blacks, nor did i vote for him with the expectation that he would. I voted for him to govern the damn country, not to target any specific groups. Moreover, i don't want him to do anything for blacks. That's not his job. He's done enough for blacks by showing that with hard work, you can be anything you want to be in America. Whether or not all African Americans get the message, that's another question. But i damn sure pointed at Obama and drilled that lesson into my son. A black president means that you've got few excuses.

That's how i look at it.
This is the messaging that people on the outside looking in just don't see & don't get. That's all Obama needs to "do" for the Black community: be a positive role model for young Black males. Outside of that, anything that benefits the country, benefits Blacks as well.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I definitely don't agree that the government should intervene to produce equal outcome soley based on racial numbers.

If you apply for a mortgage and can't qualify based on your income then your skin color doesn't come into play.
If you apply for a security job but don't get hired because you have a criminal past then your skin color doesn't come into play.

Discrimination is one thing and that should be enforced and upheld.
But shooting for an artificial "equality has been achieved" is so wrong on so many levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies