Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:48 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,504,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
This will just fan the flames of debate. No need for it. Election is over and OP wants to save his friendships.
Ignore the politics and keep the friendships. Who do you trust? Some politician or your friends?

I admit I've struggled with this myself - but I've decided my friends mean more to me than some politician on either side.

I would ask them to please stop sending the emails though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 07:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,282,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Being able to get health insurance after my cancer diagnosis and my friends being able to have the financial and legal security of gay marriage are a whole hell of a lot more important to me than "friends" who disagree with either of those values. With friends like that, who needs enemies?
I have friends who disagree with me about the AHCA as well as gay marriage. I am still friends with them. Why? Because their politics are not the only things that make them who they are. There are people who I completely agree with politically who are obnoxious *******s and I would never be friends with. Sharing political ideology does not equal friendship in my world.

Last edited by Magritte25; 11-13-2012 at 07:49 AM..

Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Apparently you don't get it.
If there was NO doubt about who you were voting for, you made it clear about your political beliefs.

As others have said, read the garbage that was spewn about Obama and you'll see the reason for the happy dance.

916 laws initiated against women in 1 quarter?
I'm gloating that the evil old misogynistic white man party lost.
Yes, I am.
And I'm not apologizing for it.
Am I happy that Obama won? Absolutely. But I don't need to gloat about it and rub my friends' faces in it either. I wouldn't like it if they did that to me. Treat others as you'd like to be treated.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,448,773 times
This cracks me up... now wingers are upset about suddenly being on the receiving end of all the stuff they've been dishing out for the past 4 years (and then some...)?!!

As already mentioned, simply tell your friends you don't want to receive any more political emails. And BTW, I suspect they'll be a lot more cooperative than the replies I get from some of my conservative friends... who take great umbrage when asked to quit, and seem to feel "entitled" to email political stuff nobody wants!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 AM

78,276 posts, read 60,492,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
No, I would never send nasty emails to anyone who I knew was unhappy re the elections. Again, its not my style
Just delete the emails without reading them.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:38 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,245,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I need some help please. I consider myself a moderate in most political things. However, this election has rocked my world. Although I was not a strong Romney fan, I do not support the current Administration and I was distressed by the negative campaign they ran. Look, I get it..they won, those who were closer to my side lost.

I have several VERY close friends who were huge advocates for this administration. They are gloating like crazy. They are downright nasty about it. I get it, their guy won. however, I feel as if it has taken a toll on our friendship in some cases. The nastiness is almost unbelievable.

I need to write to a few of them to ask them to please, stop sending me the "happy emails" and the nasty joke pages. I do not particularly want to offend them, I just want to stop this. In every election result, some are happy and some are not. However, this time...at least in my experience....the "winners" are being incredibly mean spirited.

Can any of you please me with an email I need to send to some? I do not want to be mean...just to let them know that I disagree and their gloating is pretty upsetting to me. I want them to respect the differences in our opinions. Thanks.
Is this a joke? Because I'm laughing.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 AM

78,276 posts, read 60,492,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I still am wondering how these friends knew you were anti-Obama. If they didn't know, why would they send you those emails? Did you have some sort of conversation with them about politics, during which you let them know your opinion of Obama?
Does someone really have to explain to you that sometimes friends meet in person and talk on the phone and have known each other for decades in many cases?

I know my FIL is a straight-ticket dem and he has never touched an email in his entire life.

Among my group of friends, sending around politically charged emails is not looked upon favorably...we have some far right and far lefties in that group and we do NOT like mixing politics.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,147,117 times
If being upset over your friends reaction to the election is your worst problem in life, consider yourself blessed. Really? So upset you can't cope with it and need advice on how to handle it? Jeepers. You must have a pretty smooth life. Hit the dang delete button or change the subject. It's conversation with friends. Not your doctor telling you you have three months to live.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If being upset over your friends reaction to the election is your worst problem in life, consider yourself blessed. Really? So upset you can't cope with it and need advice on how to handle it? Jeepers. You must have a pretty smooth life. Hit the dang delete button or change the subject. It's conversation with friends. Not your doctor telling you you have three months to live.
I think this is very dismissive of the OP. Do we only post here when there are dire consequences involved now?

Old 11-13-2012, 07:56 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,147,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think this is very dismissive of the OP. Do we only post here when there are dire consequences involved now?
It's serious advice. She/he gets upset over this? What I'm trying to say is he needs to think about what's really important in life. Personally I can't imagine getting so upset I'd send an email over the outcome of an election. (And I've heard the over-the-top- gloating and gotten the stupid gag gifts when "my" side lost.) You accept it in good humor and move on.

If they really are friends you put it in the "OK they're a little nuts with this stuff" column and concentrate on their good points. (My guess is the OP will just cause more problems with sending an email, BTW. The OP might want to stop and think about their reaction before he sends it. If he feels picked on, they may feel lectured to and alienated. Just saying.)

One more thing: If he thinks his FRIENDS are being "mean spirited".... maybe he needs new friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies