Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 08:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
If they legalized weed hostess stock would be like microsoft back in the day.

Perhaps Hostess should have thrown their support behind weed legalization. Better yet it may behoove anyone in the food industry to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 08:43 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Convenience store?

We hippie liberals aint hangin' out in no convenience store! Perish the thought. We're at the food co-op buying organic bean sprouts and unroasted, unsalted sunflower seeds. Try to keep up here.
A place like that is going to open up not a mile from my location. Nothing wrong with it at all. Don't see why such places are considered "liberal".

Is a minority like me (a conservative in a Democratic district) unwelcome in such places?

Will they really turn down my hard earned money because I voted for Mitt Romney?

Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Perhaps Hostess should have thrown their support behind weed legalization. Better yet it may behoove anyone in the food industry to do so.
I've said for years you would think Pepsico/Frito Lay would fund the legalization of Pot.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I'm just hoping that every single one of the 18,500 people losing their union jobs voted for the scumbag, lying, clown Obozo.
And how is this the president's fault or are you just spouting off at the mouth devoid of knowledge? Half of you remind me of fb posters. Just spout off without thinking or even investigating anything.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Okay, just got back from the store and they said no more Nature's Pride (which Hostess makes too). I like the Nutty Oat bread, darn it. This is a perfect example of why I can't stand unions, not so much the workers, they get caught in the middle. But, union bosses are evil. No wonder all our production has gone to China. If I were a CEO I'd offer the workers part ownership (something like REI does) and pray they didn't join a union. I wouldn't be able to put up with that bs, not for one second.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
And how is this the president's fault or are you just spouting off at the mouth devoid of knowledge? Half of you remind me of fb posters. Just spout off without thinking or even investigating anything.
That is why I am rarely on Facebook anymore - didn't like the intellectual dishonesty and closed mindedness of the liberals over there.

Yup - many of my family and friends are liberals (shocking isn't it!). I interact with them in person or over the phone - and we don't talk politics.

Political discussions are much more productive if they are done with people whom one doesn't know. I hit Facebook every once in a while - however political discussion is out of the question. I learned that the hard way arguing about gay marriage on Facebook with a cousin.

I will still hug her next time I see her.

Family comes first.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:51 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
It's not surprising to see 15 pages of deflections protecting the union from the culpability of destroying an American icon. Deflect, deflect, deflect rather than admit that an unflinching union cost 18,000 people good-paying jobs because they refused to make concessions that would keep everyone in business and employed.

The union won, but those the union were representing lost. Good luck to those bakery workers who will try to find comparable jobs paying anywhere near what wasn't good enough for them just yesterday.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I've said for years you would think Pepsico/Frito Lay would fund the legalization of Pot.
On the other hand, lobbyists fight to continue the war on drugs. This includes some police unions, some prison guard unions, some private prisons corporations, big pharm and alcohol and beer manufacturers.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:55 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Reports on CNBC are informative. Hostess is gone. 18,500 jobs, union and management gone. Brands to be sold to others. It was the Bakers union that sank any hopes by striking and refusing to negotiate or agree to concessions. Sad for those people. The venture capital firm will lose money when all is said and done, even after the brands are sold off. Kudos to the Teamsters union who had agreed to wage cuts and work rule changes.

There is more of this stuff to come. USPS keeps losing money in big bunches. Investment experts warned that 2013 would be bad. Looks like the new year got here early.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
It's not surprising to see 15 pages of deflections protecting the union from the culpability of destroying an American icon. Deflect, deflect, deflect rather than admit that an unflinching union cost 18,000 people good-paying jobs because they refused to make concessions that would keep everyone in business and employed.

The union won, but those the union were representing lost. Good luck to those bakery workers who will try to find comparable jobs paying anywhere near what wasn't good enough for them just yesterday.
Actually, hostess wages sucked and offered a bad work environment (dependent upon location of course). The one in Indianapolis the employees complained for a while. Was this all union, uhm no. 2 bankruptcies generally means you've done something wrong. As far as the union is concerned, yes, hostess has a high pension dollar amount that the union should have negotiated on but asking the employees to take an 8% cut in pay on top of losing other things is a lot to ask for an employee. Keep in mind if they were making $25 or something then yes, suck it up but they're not and the people have a right to be upset. Did it cost them, yes but that doesn't mean they do not have the right to protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies