Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:51 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,118,374 times

Advertisements

I wonder what will happen when the Obama moochers can't get any more free stuff from the wealthy...Its going to get real interesting to say the least...

"For many of the wealthy, 2012 is becoming a good year to sell.

They're worried about the "fiscal cliff," which is when tax cuts expire and spending cuts are set to go into effect at the end of the year.

Fearing an increase in capital gains and dividend taxes, many of the rich are unloading stocks, businesses and homes before the end of the year."

Wealthy Dump Assets Before the 'Fiscal Cliff' - U.S. Business News - CNBC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 05:02 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,502,821 times
Noithing that everyoe else isn't doing from pension panlns to day trders. Its just what you do depednig on the political win Most only notice it but it been goig on with risk off for sometime.Why do you think the FED put qe3 i plce;hopig to force people ionto equities by makig otthe of less risk less attractive. But people stillare seekigsafety with this adminsitrations policies and aims.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:10 PM

76,857 posts, read 47,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
I"For many of the wealthy, 2012 is becoming a good year to sell.

They're worried about the "fiscal cliff," which is when tax cuts expire and spending cuts are set to go into effect at the end of the year.
Maybe a good time to sell, after a rally like we have seen. Buy low, sell high.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:15 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,389,111 times
I don't know what's going to happen. Every day I go to my mail box and it's stuffed with free crap from the wealthy. I'm tired of the constant parade of limousines driving through the neighborhood dropping off free stuff, it gets old after a while. Not to mention the stream of private jets flying overhead parachuting care packages down to the little people. What are we going to do without them, how will we survive? Woe is me.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:24 PM

25,265 posts, read 18,412,401 times
Exactly what I would do if I were rich. In fact, I'd liquefy assets, and get out of the country while the getting's good.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:28 PM

25,265 posts, read 18,412,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
I don't know what's going to happen. Every day I go to my mail box and it's stuffed with free crap from the wealthy. I'm tired of the constant parade of limousines driving through the neighborhood dropping off free stuff, it gets old after a while. Not to mention the stream of private jets flying overhead parachuting care packages down to the little people. What are we going to do without them, how will we survive? Woe is me.
You think it's the poor who own the grocery store down the block, the gas station, the department store, the bank, etc? Hope you've been practicing your hunter gatherer skills.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:33 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,389,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You think it's the poor who own the grocery store down the block, the gas station, the department store, the bank, etc? Hope you've been practicing your hunter gatherer skills.
I don't need to, I retired in 2008 at 55 and living quite well on my pension and 401k.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:33 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,118,374 times
Quote:
You think it's the poor who own the grocery store down the block, the gas station, the department store, the bank, etc? Hope you've been practicing your hunter gatherer skills
no need to worry the moochers can still get their free cell obama phones...

Old 11-13-2012, 06:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,309,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Exactly what I would do if I were rich. In fact, I'd liquefy assets, and get out of the country while the getting's good.

You can have my blender, it has a 'liquefy' setting.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,131,087 times
LOL you folks think it's just the wealthy ?

That cap gains tax going from 15% to 20% effects anyone who sells stock next year.
That includes you and me.

I have one stock that had huge gains since 2009. So I sat down and did the numbers.
It came to $6000 more under 20%.

And once those cuts expire, they are gone for good. Remember that.

So I did a wash. I sold and bought it back. Now my basis is the new higher price.
I'll take the cap gains hit this year. That's $6K less Uncle Sam gets

If you have stocks in non tax deferred accounts you might want to take a look at them.

FWIW this has happened before. And investors did the same thing. So, expect the government to report good tax revenue because many sold and took the hit but expect very anemic revenue the year after which will be under the new rules.

Forgot to add..the wealthy get an extra tacked on to cap gains so between the Obama cuts and Obamacare changes they are up near 25% cap gains tax.

Last edited by HappyTexan; 11-13-2012 at 06:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies