Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
This all sounds very familiar.

Southern folks having a tantrum.

United States presidential election, 1860 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It will turn out the same way if this goes anywhere. My suggestion is to suck it up.
It won't, because most of us in the blue states don't really want them to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 01:47 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
It won't, because most of us in the blue states don't really want them to stay.
And you aren't self-sufficient any longer. You are more comfortable in a cubicle than in a barn.

That is why this North-South conflict would turn out different if it happened today. When you take the Southern states that went Republican, like Montana, Wyoming, North Carolina, etc. and compare them to the liberal bastions of New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, etc. there is a huge difference in lifestyles.

Typical Northerner: Hey man it's getting cold out here, we should go get a latte and a burger.

Typical Southerner: Let's go hunting.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:00 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I'm a blue-stater who wishes the secession movement well.

The first American secessionists to speak of (after the Revolution) were "blue staters"--members of the Hartford Convention in 1814.

Thanks, I pointed that out in another thread.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Ironic, since we are now living under worse than The Crown. Pretty much all in vain, eh?
If you really hate it so much, what's keeping you in the US?
Me, I moved away.

Words? Action.
Words? Action.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:16 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
I think the push for secession isn't going to work. It has such a negative connotation, it really sounds like a bunch of whiners who didn't get their way. And the majority of people, regardless of how frustrated they are with Washington, cannot fathom a world where Texas is in another country.

A more positive sounding position, which would be an opportunity for everyone in the country, and doesn't entail secession. Would be my plan, calling for the drafting of a new constitution. Not an amendment, a brand new constitution from scratch. Which would have to be ratified by the same process that our constitution had to be ratified(3/4th's approval, and only applies to those states who actually ratify it).

With a new constitution that had those requirements, the worst-case scenario is that nothing would change. And the best-case scenario is that we get a much more efficient and representative government.

I think it is worth a try.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
That is why this North-South conflict would turn out different if it happened today. When you take the Southern states that went Republican, like Montana, Wyoming, North Carolina, etc. and compare them to the liberal bastions of New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, etc. there is a huge difference in lifestyles.

Typical Northerner: Hey man it's getting cold out here, we should go get a latte and a burger.

Typical Southerner: Let's go hunting.
At least you can't accidentally shoot yourself with a latte.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:18 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernFreeSpirit View Post
Doesn't surprise me the intellectual minds like you think that is why this is happening...I am assuming you have no idea Secession movements have been around for a very long time...Vermont,Alaska,just to name 2 states I am familiar with all happened before Obama was president...has nothing to do with the idiot in chief...he just happens to be the president when it happened...

In vain no...we had a great nation for almost 100 years but its way past time for the country to separate...
The anti-secessionists seem to be that way, forgetting the criticizing and and laughing at the Texas gov taking about secession. Now it's suddenly like something new just sprung up. I'll bet they gonna be real surprised come January when O'Care hits 'em square in the patooty.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:38 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Good luck making up the difference in what you lose from the Feds by taxing your own citizens.
They come out ahead. You're free to do the math anytime you're so inclined, but then of course, you'd actually prove that some States would benefit from secession.

Economically...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Seccession is treason. For some reason during an election cycle certain people on the far right will go to all efforts to show they are the most patriotic people and how they love the constitution and those on the left have no patriotism and despise the constitution. But when these same rightwingers lose an election, they all of a sudden become little Benedict Arnolds and start talk of seccession.

It definitely baffles me.
Secession is not treason.

Quote:
Benedict Arnold because his name is synonymous with traitorous conduct. Supporting the Revolutionary cause then back stabbing the very people he was fighting for.
Let's talk about Benedict Arnold.

Arnold was where? Oh, yeah, that's right, at the Battle of Quebec. Where his friend General Montgomery was killed. Where the Continental Army was defeated and routed. Where MG Thompson tried to lead an orderly withdraw, but died of smallpox.

Arnold did not believe the Continental Army would prevail, and that the repercussions would be severe. That's why he became a "traitor." To save lives.

Quote:
I don't think Abe Lincoln would agree with you.
I don't give a damn what Lincoln the Tyrant thought. I spit on his grave. So excuse me if I don't get all weak in the knees when someone mentions the name of the former Illinois National Guard Captain and commander of a cavalry troop that massacred women, children and elderly members of the Sacs & Fox Tribe....while the men were away parlaying for safe passage through "***** Territory."

Historically...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
It will turn out the same way if this goes anywhere. My suggestion is to suck it up.
Are you suggesting they had electricity in 1862?

I sure hope not, because that would be, you know, really stupid.

Your understanding of asymmetrical warfare is incredibly poor.

Tactically...

Mircea

Old 11-15-2012, 03:45 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Talking You're ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernFreeSpirit View Post

Yep...seems about right...either racist,traitor,rebel,seditious etc etc...they never realize if our founding fathers had not been "traitors,rebels and seditious" we would still be living under the crown.

Too obvious!

Old 11-15-2012, 03:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
I don't think Abe Lincoln would agree with you.
Actually Lincoln did agree with me, or rather I agree with Lincoln.

Treason is a very specific act defined by the Constitution the act of attempting to secede isn't treasonous

Article 3 - The Judicial Branch
Section 3 - Treason
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
Firing on Ft Sumpter in an attempt to secede was treasonous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies