Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
obama exists... god doesn't... and obama was viewed as the better of two choices by a majority.. that's all..
so lets not make this more than it is or compare apples to oranges

there is no evidence to support the existence of god.. period.. there just isn't. as much as it would be lovely to have a guiding god to support humanity through it's struggles.. it's virtually 100 percent unlikely

So do you believe the Universe has always existed or that it suddenly emerged from nothing?

If you believe it always existed, how has the present moment arrived from eternity past?

If you believe it suddenly emerged from nothing, why did it do so?

Did nothing cause it to come into being?

I say it takes more faith to be an Atheist than to believe in a Creator.

To believe in a Creator one only needs to believe a creative force that exists independently of time and space created time and space and all that exist in it.

Highly unlikely?

Sure it is, but the two alternatives are logical dead ends.

This is where Atheists say they don't need to invent a god to explain what they don't yet know.

That way they can avoid answering the simple questions I asked.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
Hey pal, Memo: Now the entire Nation is DOOMED not just the Repubs.
If you read the thread title...it agrees with you. Now, why it is doomed is up for debate.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Bwahahaha! Yep...read one sentence and assume that the entire content is wrong. I have a mental image of a little girl with her fingers in her ears, her eyes tightly closed, stamping her little mary janes while chanting, "I can't hear you!" Poor kid...she'll never learn what a question mark is. Nor will it ever prevent her from making mistakes, because she could never admit that she's wrong about anything.
Please allow me to interject. When I read the title, I just assumed it meant that the way people were using religion and the belief in God to further agendas are dooming the meaning of the word and the value of belief in it. But that is just my perception. Everyone has their own way of perceiving and interpreting things. People that take things literally are most likely the ones that are dogmatic in their religious beliefs too...IMO.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:18 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
I just cannot read another poll this year. As a matter of fact I would be happy never to see one again.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Please allow me to interject. When I read the title, I just assumed it meant that the way people were using religion and the belief in God to further agendas are dooming the meaning of the word and the value of belief in it. But that is just my perception. Everyone has their own way of perceiving and interpreting things. People that take things literally are most likely the ones that are dogmatic in their religious beliefs too...IMO.
By all means; it is your thread after all, and other voices are always welcome in a discussion. I agree, and have found that the best way to make an informed decision is to learn as much as possible (it never stops, ideally) from various and divergent sources. That is a difficult position for people who prefer being told what to believe, but I understand that such a process removes them from their comfort zone and is too often frightening. Many posters of a certain age read and rejected Rand decades ago; it's disconcerting that her body of work continues to find acceptance, and in the oddest places.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I never prayed to the Easter bunny for anything. I prayed to God and He has answered many of my prayers.
u don't know that though and you don't know that god exists... to say you do is lying to everyone else, and even yourself
you HOPE...

Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
By all means; it is your thread after all, and other voices are always welcome in a discussion. I agree, and have found that the best way to make an informed decision is to learn as much as possible (it never stops, ideally) from various and divergent sources. That is a difficult position for people who prefer being told what to believe, but I understand that such a process removes them from their comfort zone and is too often frightening. Many posters of a certain age read and rejected Rand decades ago; it's disconcerting that her body of work continues to find acceptance, and in the oddest places.
The most despicable of entities are finding people to dupe. The Evangelicals, among others, are receptive to the tactics of treacherous types such as Ralph Reed and Fox media. That is what the OP points out. Limbaugh does not really care who the POTUS is, he gets a paycheck the size of his butt for spewing hate and fear regardless.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The most despicable of entities are finding people to dupe. The Evangelicals, among others, are receptive to the tactics of treacherous types such as Ralph Reed and Fox media. That is what the OP points out. Limbaugh does not really care who the POTUS is, he gets a paycheck the size of his butt regardless.

The ones who frighten me most are the people who believe that God hasn't begun Armageddon yet, and think that it's their job to hasten the process. Hate and fear sell: There is a release of chemicals by the body and a state of excitement. That feeling is the root of addiction. Reading seems like a better use of time, but people like Limbaugh only want us reading certain authors and never hesitate to inform their listeners/readers of what materials those are. It's cynical manipulation, but P.T. Barnum understood the connection very well and Limbaugh and others followed suit.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
u don't know that though and you don't know that god exists... to say you do is lying to everyone else, and even yourself
you HOPE...
So you can tell me what I know and don't know huh?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
The ones who frighten me most are the people who believe that God hasn't begun Armageddon yet, and think that it's their job to hasten the process. Hate and fear sell: There is a release of chemicals by the body and a state of excitement. That feeling is the root of addiction. Reading seems like a better use of time, but people like Limbaugh only want us reading certain authors and never hesitate to inform their listeners/readers of what materials those are. It's cynical manipulation, but P.T. Barnum understood the connection very well and Limbaugh and others followed suit.
And Obama is the master of them all. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies