Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,536 times

Advertisements

As we approach the end of the year and the so called "fiscal cliff" and we are distracted by the holidays and our party plans, the politcians are back in DC in smoke filled rooms planning the ruination of your future. There is no doubt that they are going to try to force Obama into cutting Social Security and Medicare and raising the age to 70. This is what the GOP wants and I do not trust Obama to stand against them in the end. He has caved to the Republicans too much in the past. So it is really important that all of us call our Congressman and Senators and let them know that we do not want Social Security and Medicare TOUCHED! I called mine already. I did not get him but left a message with his office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 10:24 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
You can gather up every Congressman and Senator at gunpoint...and guess what? It won't make a difference.

Because the fix has been in and you've been played. The military-industrial complex, the banks and corporations have already won out. Obama was given his orders to cave in from day one.

Everybody is sticking to the script now.

Don't worry....you will still get the scraps on the table.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
The fix was in back when the first debt ceiling debate occurred in 2011.

If social security is your only retirement your ****ed anyway.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
As we approach the end of the year and the so called "fiscal cliff" and we are distracted by the holidays and our party plans, the politcians are back in DC in smoke filled rooms planning the ruination of your future. There is no doubt that they are going to try to force Obama into cutting Social Security and Medicare and raising the age to 70. This is what the GOP wants and I do not trust Obama to stand against them in the end. He has caved to the Republicans too much in the past. So it is really important that all of us call our Congressman and Senators and let them know that we do not want Social Security and Medicare TOUCHED! I called mine already. I did not get him but left a message with his office.
Ignoring the problems of SS will not make the SS problems go away

Old 12-28-2012, 11:00 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Ignoring the problems of SS will not make the SS problems go away
SS needs a bit of help. Medicare is a fiasco. It will not survive in its current form. The question I ask those who wish Medicare not to be touched is do they want it funded? Currently it is nowhere near fully funded.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:04 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
You can gather up every Congressman and Senator at gunpoint...and guess what? It won't make a difference.

Because the fix has been in and you've been played. The military-industrial complex, the banks and corporations have already won out. Obama was given his orders to cave in from day one.

Everybody is sticking to the script now.

Don't worry....you will still get the scraps on the table.

I agree. We have a government that is no longer responsive to the needs and wishes of the people. This has come from both sides of the aisle, with politicians being more concerned about re-election than the well being of the nation.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:24 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
If yu can't get the first part right, "in smoke filled rooms", smoking has been banned in gov't buildings for years, there is no reason to believe any thing else you say.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Surely, every one of us realizes that SS and medicare as they are now cannot survive. The questions isn't if they will change but how they will change and whether those changes will lead to solvency. As things stand now, we are all at risk of having NOTHING from SS or medicare at retirement.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Back when Social Security was created, the average life span was about 59 years. If one was lucky enough to live 6 years longer, Social Security would kick in. Using the original logic, no one would now be entitled to Social Security until they were in their 80's.

Back in the early 80's Greenspan recommended substantial hikes in the Social Security tax, creating a necessary surplus to ensure that funding would be available 20-25 years into the future.Social Security taxes are invested in treasuries and create money for the government to spend as they wish. Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton, and Bush 2 spent it all and left IOUs in the box. It's a classic shell game. This is what Obama inherited from the past.

In 2011, Medicare provided benefits to more than 16 percent of the population or nearly 49 million people — more than 40 million seniors and more than 8 million persons with disabilities.

40% of government spending goes to Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. It will exceed 50% before this decade is over. Federal spending on everything other than these " entitlements" and defence has been shrinking for decades. Medicaid is now the single largest line item on state budgets. Spending on everything else has been slashed.

10,000 people turn 65 each and every day and will continue to do so for the next 30 years.

From an actuarial standpoint, Medicare, as is, is unsustainable.

Politians do not get elected by promising to increase taxes and taking care of business. Instead we elect those most likely to sustain the fantasy that we can have it all and somehow not pay for it. And this has been going on for more than 40 years.

So yeah, the minimum age of eligibility has to increase over time.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

We have a government that is no longer responsive to the needs and wishes of the people.
Sure we do. All we have to do is pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies