Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

You should also check into who is being greedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Which is why I think government assistance programs need to have a better way of transitioning people off the program. NOT cut the programs entirely. However, this does not mean people on assistance don't want to better themselves or get out of poverty.
Well, people need a fighting chance, which means you need good teachers in poorer neighborhoods and enough quiet space in libraries for them to do homework in and parents who respect those teachers and see it as a way out of poverty for the children.

Have you ever heard ads that are run in NY during a teacher's strike? Some of those teachers have very poor usage of the language. No wonder the children feel discouraged. Bloomberg said that was the biggest challenge of his mayorship, so did Koch and Guiliani(sp). If the teachers are intelligent and respect worthy people and the parents are on the same track the children will have a lot of incentive to do well.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I have been poor.
I don't think we should be 'hardass'.
People who prove they can maintain a clean environment and not break the law should have a safe, clean environment. They should also have nourishing food. None of this should be extravagant, but the essentials should be there. For the bells and whistles we work.
You were just advocating that the government restrict food for the needy to rice, beans, and lettuce.

You do understand that there are needy people who are sick, who have special dietary needs, who have allergies, etc., etc., etc.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Exactly which taxes of yours have gone up under Obama? Oh, yeah, not a single one so far.

Also, it isn't hipsters or young people in northern cities who are on welfare by and large it is poor people in the south. Crappy red states who practice failed Republican policies which have never worked and will never work. That's why there are so many desperately poor people in red states.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
You were just advocating that the government restrict food for the needy to rice, beans, and lettuce.

You do understand that there are needy people who are sick, who have special dietary needs, who have allergies, etc., etc., etc.
Then go get some allergy medicine and thank Obamacare. Hell it's free too right?

Old 11-18-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No most don't care about the "ultra wealthy" and what taxes they pay. Most are tired of seeing THEIR OWN taxes go up and then read about some hipsters who like to blog instead of getting a job while we pay for their food. That is what most are tired of. See I can speak for "most" too.
I haven't seen you complain about raising taxes on those who make $250,000 and above, however, I have seen many, many others argue passionately about not raising taxes for people at that level for any reason.

I haven't noticed a significant increase in my taxes. You have to pay taxes anyway; wouldn't you rather see some of that money go to help the needy than to go to big companies who profit on wars like Haliburton did? There is certainly waste in the defense budget. Do a Ron Paul type audit and cut the waste.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Then go get some allergy medicine and thank Obamacare. Hell it's free too right?
Allergies to certain foods, like peanuts and other things.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:37 PM

Do they mix peanuts in beans, rice and lettuce where you shop?

Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Do they mix peanuts in beans, rice and lettuce where you shop?
LOL. Not that I know of. However, I've heard that babies and children do have food allergies, and certainly adults have them, so you can't just make one-size-fits-all in terms of food.

It's my opinion that only a very small number of people abuse the food stamp program. With today's technology, it seems to me that it would be rather difficult to deceive the system. Now, if people get the food stamp card and "sell" the benefit for whatever, the money is still spent on FOOD. It can't be used for anything else, including personal hygiene products, laundry detergent, toilet paper, deli foods, house cleaning products, nothing like that at all. Also, the food is not cheaper because someone is using a food stamp card, so if a person "sells" their card, the person using it gets no benefit. And the person who sells it goes hungry.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Exactly which taxes of yours have gone up under Obama? Oh, yeah, not a single one so far.

Also, it isn't hipsters or young people in northern cities who are on welfare by and large it is poor people in the south. Crappy red states who practice failed Republican policies which have never worked and will never work. That's why there are so many desperately poor people in red states.
There are a LOT of elderly people on food stamps too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies