Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,870,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I have witnessed black and asian tension, but blacks should know that they are largely responsible for the wealth of Asians in this country. Instead of complaining about the racism, blacks should be boycotting the take-out restaurants, corner stores, beauty stores, etc. that Asians set-up in their neighborhood, and instead support eachother in the community.
Of course, since most Asian's in this country own corner stores and Chinese restaurants in black neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 01:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Are you saying that blacks are above asians in the minority pecking order?
How do you figure i said ANYTHING CLOSE TO THAT?

I'm black, and i'm not below anyone in any pecking order whatsoever....White, Asian, or anything else.

I said that if some Asian person acts hostile towards me, i'll gladly return the favor....and i'll return it in spades. That's my personality, you bring fist, i bring knife. You bring knife, i bring gun. Figuratively of course, but you get my meaning.

I didn't say a damn thing about some "pecking order."

Old 11-14-2012, 01:37 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,870,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
How do you figure i said ANYTHING CLOSE TO THAT?

I'm black, and i'm not below anyone in any pecking order whatsoever....White, Asian, or anything else.

I said that if some Asian person acts hostile towards me, i'll gladly return the favor....and i'll return it in spades. That's my personality, you bring fist, i bring knife. You bring knife, i bring gun. Figuratively of course, but you get my meaning.

I didn't say a damn thing about some "pecking order."
OK, just a personality flaw then.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I have witnessed black and asian tension, but blacks should know that they are largely responsible for the wealth of Asians in this country. Instead of complaining about the racism, blacks should be boycotting the take-out restaurants, corner stores, beauty stores, etc. that Asians set-up in their neighborhood, and instead support eachother in the community.
Wow !

Guess you never noticed how many Asian- Americans are within the health care, education and technology fields.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 PM

447 posts, read 495,762 times
I did not say illegal, just say, not legal resident, it means they have legal visa but not a legal resident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's far more common to hear first -second generation Asians make remarks about different Asian countries/cultures.

I do not know how to tell an illegal from a legal. Do they wear signs?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:42 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull84 View Post
Even though Asian American overwhelmly voted for Obama, some non Legal Asian residents are very hostile to other minorities. There are full of hate languages, racial slur etc in a forum. Someone claims that hate speech is protected by the Constitution even though they aren't legal residents at all.
In an open forum, is it ok to have open hate speech, language?
Hell, some posters get rewarded for it.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Wow !

Guess you never noticed how many Asian- Americans are within the health care, education and technology fields.
Quote:
Of course, since most Asian's in this country own corner stores and Chinese restaurants in black neighborhoods?

^^Settle down,

We are talking about racial tension, which is most profound in dense urban communities. And, yes I am willing to wager that a majority of recently immigrated Asians in this country (as the OP was specifically referring to) are entrepreneuers and business owners. And the majority of the businesses are located in black neighborhoods. Of course there are Asians in every field, but as for the OP's very specific question, this was the most obvious example of racism between the two groups.

Unless you want to speak on Asian and Black tension in the healthcare industry and IT fields? Please, enlighten me.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 11-14-2012 at 02:20 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
I disagree. Asians do business in a tough environment, and black folks should be thankful for their enterprise. It's a good mutual relationship...Asians have goods, and black folks have money.

A lot of people think that there is tension between Asian business owners in black neighborhoods and the residents, but that's really not the case. There are some cultural differences, but eventually they learn how to get along with each other. As long as the Asians remain respectful, they usually end up gaining the respect of the black patrons, even if it takes a while. Sure, a few blacks see them as interlopers, but they're in the minority.

I agree with this. Most Asian businesses in black neighborhoods get along just fine. There are quite a few of them in my neighborhood and surrounding ones and I don't think anything negatively of them.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
no......but most corner stores and of course Chinese restaurants in black communities are owned by Asians. Years ago, it used to be Jews. In the future, it will be Latino immigrants such as Dominicans.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:49 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Quote:
I disagree. Asians do business in a tough environment, and black folks should be thankful for their enterprise. It's a good mutual relationship...Asians have goods, and black folks have money.

A lot of people think that there is tension between Asian business owners in black neighborhoods and the residents, but that's really not the case. There are some cultural differences, but eventually they learn how to get along with each other. As long as the Asians remain respectful, they usually end up gaining the respect of the black patrons, even if it takes a while. Sure, a few blacks see them as interlopers, but they're in the minority.
I agree with this, but it was the first and maybe only real life example I could think of when asked about "Black/Asian racial tension".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies