Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you or wouldn't you? no in betweens
Yes, I'd sacrifice 1 million instead of my family 56 72.73%
No, I wouldn't sacrifice 1 million for my family 21 27.27%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Not quite, look at how many family members were on opposite sides during the US Civil War. And look at all the people (especially nowadays) that do little toward their own self-preservation (like not exersizing, eating properly or giving up vices).

Back to the poll, I'm sure Republicans (in their land of myopia) will vote overwhelmingly for their family over a million others. Democrats are much more likely to have perspective beyond themselves, and might pick the welfare of the world over their own interests.
I find your answer really funny. Yes, the Democrats are so wanting to help others that they won't even vote for someone that will help their country rather than vote to pay for their birth control. How about all those murdered babies. Would you preserve them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was gobsmacked to hear that some people would literally rather everyone on earth die than their family die. How can someone actually think they or their family is worth more than billions? Are they for real? I love my family, but I couldn't imagine that.

Would anyone here actually sacrifice 1 million strangers or even everyone on the planet (I'm not saying you personally press the button but let's say they'd be killed) to save their family? Why or why not? Is it just blind love? Isn't it incredibly selfish?

I guess I could understand if you hated humanity, but if we don't see humanity as one big family then we'll never solve problems like world hunger, global warming/climate change, wars, the distribution of resources.

I think humans have an instinct to preserve species but this is through preserving your own genes.
Better them then me...

Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times
I don't know. This is a scenario where there's no way to really know what you'd do unless you were actually placed in that situation

I'm sure there's a lot of people who say they'd sacrifice their family before killing a million others but when it came time to pull the trigger, they wouldn't be able to do it.

I'm sure there are are still others who say they'd never sacrifice their family but when place in the scenario, would start looking at it a little more objectively.

And I'm sure there's another unspoken group who'd probably just commit suicide before making that kind of decision.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,599 times
I'm sort of surprised at the poll. Then again I guess it just shows how selfish people are. Of course family first, but in a scenario like this, seems tough.

Easy to justify screwing people over like Madoff did when so many people still think family first even when gone to these extremes. FOr the most part, we are all equal and worth the same.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
I was gobsmacked to hear that some people would literally rather everyone on earth die than their family die. How can someone actually think they or their family is worth more than billions? Are they for real? I love my family, but I couldn't imagine that.

Would anyone here actually sacrifice 1 million strangers or even everyone on the planet (I'm not saying you personally press the button but let's say they'd be killed) to save their family? Why or why not? Is it just blind love? Isn't it incredibly selfish?

I guess I could understand if you hated humanity, but if we don't see humanity as one big family then we'll never solve problems like world hunger, global warming/climate change, wars, the distribution of resources.

I think humans have an instinct to preserve species but this is through preserving your own genes.

BS! IF a guy with a gun was holding it on your faimly you do anything to save them. All of you "good of the many outwieghs the good of few" Are all full of crap...If the fat was in the fire you'd pull the trigger yourself to save your faimly or your own lives...Just like me......

Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Default If you had to choose, would you rather a million strangers die or your family?

Of course people are going to pick family in a made up situation because we all know this isn't going to happen to any of us.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
I don't really care which group as long as it ain't me.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:36 AM

876 posts, read 708,620 times
Quote:

Anyone that can knowingly allow the people that they love andthat loves them back to die is sick. If I allowed my child to be killed or my parents to die, I might as well die with them because I sure as hell couldn't live with myself. There are emotional, evolutional, and spiritual reasons why us humans care for the survival of our families more than the survival of others. Caring for people that you have never met more than your family is against evolution and human instinct. Would you feed a million people instead of your child? If your mother needed a heart transplant, would you give away her much needed heart to someone else that you don't know? Would you rather educate some kid in India instead of your own? I feel no guilt for being willing to help my family before I help strangers. I do, however, feel sadness for your family for your lack of compassion for their lives which should be apart of your basic humanity.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:00 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Put it this way then:

You live in a country in famine. Your family is starving. The only way you can feed them is to steal the food of another family. They will starve to death but your family will live. Rule of law is gone. Don't bring the morality of stealing into this, it's your family's lives your'e talking about. How many would opt to steal from another family? Ironically doesn't THIS scenario show people as the selfish, self-seeking individuals they are?

What if you stole from a thousand families, and they all starved to death. Yeah I'm sick, I guess, for actually caring about human life and being moral enough to make sacrifices.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:03 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Anyone that can knowingly allow the people that they love andthat loves them back to die is sick. If I allowed my child to be killed or my parents to die, I might as well die with them because I sure as hell couldn't live with myself. There are emotional, evolutional, and spiritual reasons why us humans care for the survival of our families more than the survival of others. Caring for people that you have never met more than your family is against evolution and human instinct. Would you feed a million people instead of your child? If your mother needed a heart transplant, would you give away her much needed heart to someone else that you don't know? Would you rather educate some kid in India instead of your own? I feel no guilt for being willing to help my family before I help strangers. I do, however, feel sadness for your family for your lack of compassion for their lives which should be apart of your basic humanity.
Rape and murder are both really bad. Just because you think murder is worse than rape doesn't mean you don't think rape is bad at all. That's basically your reasoning. I love my family as much as anybody else...maybe I should learn not to care about humanity. Sometimes it's tempting. It's ironic that I actually care about millions of people. Isn't that what humanity is all about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies