Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 PM

39,792 posts, read 26,275,683 times

Advertisements

I was talking with a business owner in town last weekend. He said that two other business owners locally were liquidating their businesses, cashing out, renouncing their citizenship and moving to lower tax countries. The term "Going Galt" comes from Atlas Shrugged and refers to people of ability going "on strike" and refusing to work under untenable conditions. This conversation got me wondering...just how prophetic was the book? And how much is this really going on? 30 seconds of googling came up with the following articles:

Queens Crap: Rich folk leaving USA in droves

The wealthy are pulling up stakes- MSN Money

http://roaringrepublican.com/blog/20...-are-too-high/

http://nation.foxnews.com/wealthy-pe...eet-fleeing-us

Americans renouncing US citizenship to avoid stiff tax bills - NYPOST.com

Denise Rich gives up U.S. citizenship in favor of low-tax Austria * - New York Daily News

So...what do you predict? In the near future will we see a large exodus of smart, successful people cashing out and leaving the country? I would hope it wouldn't come to this, but it certainly is foreseeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 10:33 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,477,869 times
How about moving to states with lower taxes? Like Texas?

Old 11-14-2012, 10:34 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,137,435 times
Good, we have enough entitled whiners in this nation already. And I mean "entitled" in a true sense of the word.

This should free up room for some young upstarts with a stronger sense of patriotism. Any pointers on what might give them an extra pod to flee for Monaco?

Old 11-14-2012, 10:35 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,137,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,379,313 times
Quote:
Federally mandated taxes on the rich are everywhere!

This is going to hurt jobs in this country.
But then again when 26billion went to Mexico leaving our economy nobody cared!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:01 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,093,621 times
Same as with France.

They demonize those who pay taxes to support Obama's rag tag coalition of losers, so why shouldn't they go Galt?

Old 11-14-2012, 11:08 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,868,170 times
If a person moves out of the country they still have to pay taxes don't they? If a person renounces their citizenship does this let them off the hook of ever paying taxes here?

Old 11-15-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
If a person moves out of the country they still have to pay taxes don't they? If a person renounces their citizenship does this let them off the hook of ever paying taxes here?
Yep, as long as they take their wealth with them.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Jobs, particularly in manufacturing, have been leaving business-unfriendly states and moving to more advanced ones for decades. I grew up in New York state, it was common to see mile after mile of rusty factories and abandoned warehouses. Same in NJ and Michigan. Yet when I visit my brother's place in Alabama, you see a great deal of new construction of manufacturing facilities. To an extent, the same is true where I am now (Idaho), businesses have moved in from high-tax California and Washington regularly. Though we have lost a lot of traditional resource-based (logging) industry. From what I understand, Texas is also open for business, with a host of new manufacturing companies opening up.

Still, it doesn't matter how pro-business the state is if the federal government taxes and regulates business into bankruptcy. At some point business owners have to sell out while they can. Hopefully we haven't crossed that threshold.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 AM

5,764 posts, read 11,592,798 times
Very few people in any given year actually renounce their citizenship. I'd take notice if the number reached a million in a year, rather than a low thousands it has traditionally been for years and years. Until then, it's pretty much all bluster.

Besides, if people are vacating businesses that are actually profitable and serving economic demand, other businesses would simply move in or expand, and take over that demand. You don't eliminate demand by shutting down a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies