Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 07:49 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Papa John's provided insurance. My son worked there for 2 years p/t and had the option to sign up.
Where are you getting your information or are you making it up ?
Only a third of Papa John's employees has health insurance.

I spent 10 years in the restaurant business at every level, employer-paid HC was almost non-existent, and employee-paid was astronomically expensive, generally far more then a minimum wage worker could afford.

So your son had the option, that's great, but at what cost? Would the number of hours he had week to week qualify him for his plan? There's a lot of funny-business by business owners of advertising "Health Plans" on their job listings but the reality is that the plan is either astronomically expensive, or the worker's hours would preclude them from regular enrollment.

Which is why you see these politically-motivated (in my opinion) CEO's saying flat out they will reduce employee hours below a certain threshold. To move them into a tier where they don't qualify for Company HC anymore.

Papa John's just one of many restaurants not liking Obamacare - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports
Quote:
Restaurant workers around the U.S. are among the least insured and least paid workforces in the country - no matter who they're working for.
Papa John's Only Insures One in Three Workers, But CEO Tries to Blame Obamacare If That Drops | Alternet

Quote:
You know who I don't take seriously when they say they really want everyone to have health insurance and it's a shame Obamacare isn't the right way to insure more people? People who run businesses where only a third of workers are insured. Like Darden Restaurants (the parent company of Red Lobster and Olive Garden, among others), which also said that Obamacare was what would be causing it to cut down on the 25 percent of its workers that got the 30 hours a week qualifying them for health insurance, Papa John's is one of the 50 largest low-wage employers , and it's a highly profitable one. So, no, "I'm so concerned that I might have to cut hours for some of the one in three employees I currently insure even though my 2011 revenues were $1.22 billion" is not the thing that makes me, personally, think "gosh, Obamacare really is putting intolerable burdens on businesses that want to take care of their workers but just might not be able to afford it."
Forbes breaks down some of the numbers on Papa John's specifically: Breaking Down Centi-Millionaire 'Papa' John Schnatter's Obamacare Math - Forbes

FOR THE RECORD...

If businesses don't want to offer HC, fine, so be it. If they are pissed about the ACA, fine, so be it. My objection is to the public politicizing of what is, in actuality, a routine business decision. Corporations bend and change their HC plans and rules all the time as costs and laws change. The ACA is no different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 08:01 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post

I spent 10 years in the restaurant business at every level, employer-paid HC was almost non-existent, and employee-paid was astronomically expensive, generally far more then a minimum wage worker could afford.

So your son had the option, that's great, but at what cost? Would the number of hours he had week to week qualify him for his plan? There's a lot of funny-business by business owners of advertising "Health Plans" on their job listings but the reality is that the plan is either astronomically expensive, or the worker's hours would preclude them from regular enrollment.

Which is why you see these politically-motivated (in my opinion) CEO's saying flat out they will reduce employee hours below a certain threshold. To move them into a tier where they don't qualify for Company HC anymore.

Papa John's just one of many restaurants not liking Obamacare - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Papa John's Only Insures One in Three Workers, But CEO Tries to Blame Obamacare If That Drops | Alternet

Forbes breaks down some of the numbers on Papa John's specifically: Breaking Down Centi-Millionaire 'Papa' John Schnatter's Obamacare Math - Forbes

FOR THE RECORD...

If businesses don't want to offer HC, fine, so be it. If they are pissed about the ACA, fine, so be it. My objection is to the public politicizing of what is, in actuality, a routine business decision. Corporations bend and change their HC plans and rules all the time as costs and laws change. The ACA is no different.
Excellent post. It is, after all, what the highly paid CEO's of these companies do. It's their job. And if the fast food industry can't make it on a razor thin margin off their dollar menu, then make it a value menu and charge a $1.09, or a $1.10, or 1.29. If it's not the ACA it'll be something else, because selling burgers for a buck is not going to be a sustainable business practice forever.

Also, nobody is discussing that for the 96% of businesses that have less than 50 employees, there are now incentives and better options if they do wish to offer their employees insurance. So for every big corporation that's having to adjust their business model, there's umpteen more small businesses and their employees that will benefit. You just won't hear anything about that, because the ones that dis Obamacare are the ones that squeak the loudest.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 AM

Let's not forget that these big employers who are bellyaching the most, are the ones who would have taken advantage of every tax loophole, every gov't subsidy and program, all the while paying tax attorneys $200 bucks an hour to do it - when it benefits them, you don't hear about how evil the govt is and how anti business they are.

I don't hear them complaining about how unfair corporate welfare is.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Let's not forget that these big employers who are bellyaching the most, are the ones who would have taken advantage of every tax loophole, every gov't subsidy and program, all the while paying tax attorneys $200 bucks an hour to do it - when it benefits them, you don't hear about how evil the govt is and how anti business they are.

I don't hear them complaining about how unfair corporate welfare is.
$200 an hour for a tax attorney? Maybe for some 16 yr old who hasn't gone to Law school yet.
The good ones out there are charging more like $500 these days.

But otherwise, agree.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I think this is a good idea. Now people will see exactly the cost of Obama Care in terms of jobs and to their bottom line. If the costs are EXPOSED... only then will people begin to see the inherent problems with the legislation
This is beautiful! I hope to see this happen everywhere.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
So, why does his staff need Obamacare, is he that bad of a boss? Doesn't he provide a good healthcare option for them? Or does he just not care about that part of his business. If you can't afford to properly run a business you have no business having one. Is that what this is really about?

He should be happy for Obamacare. It doesn't sound like he can afford to care for his own employees. Looks like under the care of republicans he'd have no business at all. He obviously can't afford it.
This is an ignorant post. The traditional costs of running a business is not enshrined in the ideal that health insurance MUST be paid for by an employer. That's why it's called a BENEFIT.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
That just means that 2/3 turned it down. My son was covered under my insurance so he had no need for it. Most working part time cannot afford deductions from their paycheck; they need every last penny.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'd rather see the incompetent go bankrupt than my country.
Now this is golden! You're suggesting that you'd rather see companies go bankrupt instead of the country. Did it ever occur to you that businesses are the tax generators in this country??? Without businesses, we HAVE NO COUNTRY!!!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Now this is golden! You're suggesting that you'd rather see companies go bankrupt instead of the country. Did it ever occur to you that businesses are the tax generators in this country??? Without businesses, we HAVE NO COUNTRY!!!
I'm, obviously, no fan of Benito Mussolini.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
$200 an hour for a tax attorney? Maybe for some 16 yr old who hasn't gone to Law school yet.
The good ones out there are charging more like $500 these days.

But otherwise, agree.
Word. There's your 5 grand for one employee right there, in a 10 hour day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies