Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,619,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Inside info at our local Wal Mart was that sales for the Thanksgiving/Black Friday event were down slightly over last year but that sales for the week were up slightly, less than 1%.
Black Friday really saw a cutomer drop so they didn't gain, they just moved the sales ahead. I don't see the benefit of ruining the Holiday but maybe they felt they had to compete. They also felt that strong competition might have hurt sales a bit. On the plus side the weather was perfect.
No riots, no arrests, no picketing no fights, no stampedes. Granted PA is a little more civilized than many other areas of the country( excluding philly). I saw some of those protests at the Wal Marts, those picketers ranged form the obtuse to the disconnected. Even with a free meal or paid, what a pointless endeavor .
I also heard that our county leads the state in gun sales, thank you Cabelas.
I wish I had a cabelas near me, they had some good deals. Also I let my wife talk me out of a great deal on a gun from Dick's sporting goods, I told her I am never going to be able to buy that gun now, because I will always think its not as good of a deal if I had gotten it on black friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,198,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
So now companies are willing to drop off employees on black friday weekend when all the major retailers are having 3 day sales, and during the Xmas season when they are hiring like crazy?

That makes perfect sense, especially after violating numerous coporate HR policies'
Dude, please. You know what I meant and you know for a fact that those in power use many tactics to get what they want - including intimidation and taking advantage of perceived weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Has your friend gotten a lawyer on retainer for being forced by management to violate company policies yet? Or are they gong to wait til mondays, because you know, lawyers don't work weekends/holidays.
Nope. They are working elsewhere.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:31 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,921,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Nope. They are working elsewhere.
Oh, I see - they weren't actually "forced" to work for this company that allegedly broke its own corporate rules, not to mention the law, were they?

Apparently they decided that any company that would jeopardize its own existance by blantantly violating labor laws, wasn't worth working for and they went and got themselves some other means of income.

Imagine that!

Old 11-25-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Oh, I see - they weren't actually "forced" to work for this company that allegedly broke its own corporate rules, not to mention the law, were they?
They were coerced into doing so. They have a family that depends on my friend's wages. As I said, any person who lives paycheck to paycheck will recognize that they don't really have a choice when management decides to pull their ****.

Quote:
Apparently they decided that any company that would jeopardize its own existance by blantantly violating labor laws, wasn't worth working for and they went and got themselves some other means of income.

Imagine that!
Yes, my friend got a better paying job with a company that respects it's employees and their time. It doesn't make what the Big Box Co. did any less worse.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:42 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,992,028 times
Fire the malcontents on the spot.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:51 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,088,850 times
Gee. If a new better job was all that fast and easy to get, wouldn't you think they would have quit on Wednesday, before the 24 hour Thanksgiving day?
Did all your many friends get this new job?
And they could have stayed for your whole dinner too!
And everybody is saying jobs are so hard to get.
I guess this tells them where the bear shat in the buckwheat!!

Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Gee. If a new better job was all that fast and easy to get, wouldn't you think they would have quit on Wednesday, before the 24 hour Thanksgiving day?
What makes you think it was fast and easy to get a new job? This happened on Thanksgiving/Black Friday 2011. My friend didn't get the new job until this past spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Did all your many friends get this new job?
And they could have stayed for your whole dinner too!
And everybody is saying jobs are so hard to get.
I guess this tells them where the bear shat in the buckwheat!!
Nope. Jobs in NEPA are hard to get which is why my friend was stuck at the Big Box store for quite awhile before securing better employment.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,088,850 times
Ooooh..I see.

So they DID have time to report that company, as Harrier mentioned.......lots of time, it appears.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:05 AM

13,562 posts, read 21,332,359 times
Quote:
Why should they be "given" more pay? They should earn it. The service writers should be able to demonstrate that their work doing both the service writing and cashiering is valuable enough that it warrants paying them more.

The dealership streamlined - it took a position that could be handled by another - and combined it - so that the dealership will be more profitable. Profitability is good for everybody - perhaps that dealership will give out some quarterly bonuses - like Walmart, for example, does.

I have been a manager, but never for a salary - and know that it is possible to become loaded with work. Did I complain because I had to accomplish multiple tasks, often simulataneously? No. Managers on a salary probally can complain that what they earn doesn't adequately compensate for their workload - but the stress and extra work is what allows them to earn a larger share of the payroll at a guaranteed wage.

An hourly worker gets paid to work for a set number of hours and their duties during the shift may vary - why should they be paid separately for each one?

They are earning it by doing the cashiering on top of there other position . Profitability is good for everyone? Obviously it isn't for the service writers since they have been handed more work without compensation for it. Workers are there for personal profit after all, nor just to serve a company and its shareholders.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,921,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
They are earning it by doing the cashiering on top of there other position . Profitability is good for everyone? Obviously it isn't for the service writers since they have been handed more work without compensation for it. Workers are there for personal profit after all, nor just to serve a company and its shareholders.
You have constructed a circular argument. You still have not demonstrated the extra value that these people are providing to the Honda dealership by accomplishing multiple tasks.

Like I said - if they feel that they are worthy of a pay raise - then they should state so and justify it.

If they are denied and still unhappy, then they should get another job.

That is business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies