Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 10:03 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,906 times

Advertisements

Keep stores CLOSED on Sundays, raise minimum wage to $10 and everyone would love working in retail with no complain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 11:22 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Keep stores CLOSED on Sundays, raise minimum wage to $10 and everyone would love working in retail with no complain
When you suggest raising the wage to $10/hr, have you considered the dynamics of economic models and the kinetic impact of such a change?

Also, how is a company like Walmart supposed to afford a 25% increase in expenses?

Old 11-25-2012, 11:26 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
When you suggest raising the wage to $10/hr, have you considered the dynamics of economic models and the kinetic impact of such a change?

Also, how is a company like Walmart supposed to afford a 25% increase in expenses?
Liberals are incapable of considering such things - because they never engage in critical or rational thought.

They operate on pure emotion.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:43 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Why would stores opt to open on Thanksgiving? Consumer demand perhaps. Is it only large retail stores who are evil? gas stations and convenience stores are open holidays. The police departments are working holidays. Our Military is working on holidays. Oh yeah the factory I work in was open and we worked Thanksgiving. You know what I was thankful for? I have a good job that pays well and I have benefits. The fact that we needed to run on a holiday to make quota is good news.
I would say that retail stores should offer time and half or double time to compensate the employees for their sacrfice.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:51 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You and others can help by refusing to go on Thanksgiving but my understanding is that folks are already camping out for Black Friday so probably won't help much.
This is generally how i see it.

I'm simply not gonna participate in it. It's ridiculous for people to leave their families on Thanksgiving to go stock shelves at Target.

I just can't understand why Americans are so damn crazy about consumption. Do they ever stop with the goddamn shopping? Geez.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
I'm not gonna get into the wage issue.

But i do think that this country needs to shut down one day a week and nothing more than gas stations and emergency services should be open. It used to be that way at one time.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm not gonna get into the wage issue.

But i do think that this country needs to shut down one day a week and nothing more than gas stations and emergency services should be open. It used to be that way at one time.
There are some areas in NJ where places are closed on Sunday, it is highly annoying when you need to run an errand or something. No need to be closed for a day "just because" there really is not a benefit to it, it was originally done for religious reasons and there is no need to continue that.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
There are some areas in NJ where places are closed on Sunday, it is highly annoying when you need to run an errand or something. No need to be closed for a day "just because" there really is not a benefit to it, it was originally done for religious reasons and there is no need to continue that.
It's only one county in NJ.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:16 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's only one county in NJ.
Or multiple towns...semantics really, but if you feel better now that you think you are more right than I am, congratulations.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:20 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
In Japan, one day after our American Thanksgiving - they celebrate Labor Thaksgiving Day.

Of course liberals here in America curse that people have need to "labor for a paycheck".

Labor Thanksgiving Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies