Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 05:03 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
At last, a little truth about this Medicaid issue. Yes, retail and food service does not pay much. Walmart just has the highest number b/c it's the largest employer.
Not necessarily. They may also offer the worst healthcare benefits for example. Because sometimes the numbers are so overwhelming it can't just be a case of Walmart having the largest number of employees. Like in Georgia:

"In February 2004, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported the contents of an internal memo prepared by the Department of Community Health in 2002 that contained a list of the employers whose workers had the most dependents enrolled in the state's PeachCare for Kids health insurance program for low-income working families. At the top of the list was Wal-Mart, whose employees in Georgia had 10,261 children in PeachCare. Far behind in second place was Publix with 734."

Hidden Taxpayer Costs | Good Jobs First
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Get real. There are millions of low skill entry level jobs in the world that pay the bare minimum.

That's life... get educated, get skills, get a better job.

You must be a low skilled non educated employee of one of these companies.
I have a PhD dude.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:06 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
My question to you is why do you want your taxes to subsidize Walmart's (and other retailers) profits?
I think you are on to something. We should probably get rid of some of these government programs because I don't want my tax money subsidizing anyone other than myself and the truly destitute that are not capable of putting in a days work. Problem solved.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. They may also offer the worst healthcare benefits for example. Because sometimes the numbers are so overwhelming it can't just be a case of Walmart having the largest number of employees. Like in Georgia:

"In February 2004, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported the contents of an internal memo prepared by the Department of Community Health in 2002 that contained a list of the employers whose workers had the most dependents enrolled in the state's PeachCare for Kids health insurance program for low-income working families. At the top of the list was Wal-Mart, whose employees in Georgia had 10,261 children in PeachCare. Far behind in second place was Publix with 734."

Hidden Taxpayer Costs | Good Jobs First
The word in bold being operative.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:10 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
I have a PhD dude.
I've know a few that are waiting tables and many more who have no common sense. You then have no excuse for not understanding why there will always be low paying jobs.

You've yet to answer my question about the order taker at the Taco Bell drive through. You think he should be pulling in $30-40k a year for taking your order ?

Old 11-26-2012, 05:23 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Does this thread make anyone else think of "The Christmas Carol?"

I consider any store that will not let its employees at least have off Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter to be a Scrooge store and I don't do business with Scrooge.

I also include those stores that start opening at midnight. You cannot enjoy a day off if you have to sleep so you can go to work at midnight. People does the almighty dollar warrant this kind of respect? You need to rethink your values and I include in this statement those that go to the stores to shop. Buying on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter is usually not a necessity, so just STOP BEING A SCROOGE.

If no one shows up at these stores to shop, I dare to say that next year they will be closed. Nobody wants to pay employees to just stand around.

What really gets to me is that the people on my facebook page that seem the greediest are people that are always talking about how good they are and how blessed they are, etc. Well if you are so good and so blessed take just three days off a year to let someone else be blessed also.
Great post!!!

Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Does this thread make anyone else think of "The Christmas Carol?"

I consider any store that will not let its employees at least have off Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter to be a Scrooge store and I don't do business with Scrooge.

I also include those stores that start opening at midnight. You cannot enjoy a day off if you have to sleep so you can go to work at midnight. People does the almighty dollar warrant this kind of respect? You need to rethink your values and I include in this statement those that go to the stores to shop. Buying on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter is usually not a necessity, so just STOP BEING A SCROOGE.

If no one shows up at these stores to shop, I dare to say that next year they will be closed. Nobody wants to pay employees to just stand around.

What really gets to me is that the people on my facebook page that seem the greediest are people that are always talking about how good they are and how blessed they are, etc. Well if you are so good and so blessed take just three days off a year to let someone else be blessed also.
GREAT POST !!!!!!!!

Old 11-26-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I've know a few that are waiting tables and many more who have no common sense. You then have no excuse for not understanding why there will always be low paying jobs.

You've yet to answer my question about the order taker at the Taco Bell drive through. You think he should be pulling in $30-40k a year for taking your order ?
I think an order taker at Taco Bell if they are working full-time should make a living wage, i.e. enough for a subsistence level of housing, food, healthcare. Enough to survive without relying on government assistance. Which is what a lot of retail & fast food workers are not making.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
I think an order taker at Taco Bell if they are working full-time should make a living wage, i.e. enough for a subsistence level of housing, food, healthcare. Enough to survive without relying on government assistance. Which is what a lot of retail & fast food workers are not making.
In your city.... what would that take to live ? Tell us what you think that Taco Bell order taker should be earning.

Be specific please, not vague. How much $$ ?

Old 11-26-2012, 06:33 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
In your city.... what would that take to live ? Tell us what you think that Taco Bell order taker should be earning.

Be specific please, not vague. How much $$ ?
In my city, a livable wage for a single person to exist without gov't assistance would be appx $13.50 per hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies