Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Agree.

I don't do dental insurance any more. In my case, the cost of the insurance was equal to or greater than the cost of treatment. However, I do expect my dentist to be price competitive with others in the town where we live.
And that's what keeps prices low..competition. I did shop around because I paid cash for my dental.
And I didn't hesitate to tell the dentist that was closer to home what other dentists were going to charge me for cash.

When there is insurance no one cares because it's not out of their pocket.
When it's your money you will shop around.

I also pay for my own eye exam and glasses..that's another insurance farce that isn't worth the premium money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:16 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,223,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Are you also telling me that the devices he buys can't be written off as business expenses even if they are taxed due to the health care law?
It's an increase in the cost of doing business, and the overhead should be passed along to the end user. The ability to "write something off" ain't worth a damn if a business can't make enough money to justify the investment. I'm certain that GM could write off a lot of increases in raw material to build an automobile,...but instead it passes along the increased cost to the consumer.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Do we ever get told why the cost of something has decreased because they've scored a tax break/credit and their profit margin is higher... oh wait - that never happens.

I don't see anybody crowing about it when they've saved money and have magically decided to cut a break on prices, which of course they rarely do. That just goes into their pocket.
I don't know about where you live - but where I live - there's dentist on every street corner. Orthodontists too.

Our time with braces has come and gone $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ but as a consumer - I'm going to go where I get the best price and the best expertise.

Which may or may not be this guy trying to score a political point.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
It's an increase in the cost of doing business, and the overhead should be passed along to the end user. The ability to "write something off" ain't worth a damn if a business can't make enough money to justify the investment. I'm certain that GM could write off a lot of increases in raw material to build an automobile,...but instead it passes along the increased cost to the consumer.
The only way to write off a tax though is through a tax credit..yes ?

Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
If all dentists in a particular area decide to adopt the same increase in charges then the client is basically being gouged by a cartel.
Yep, those mafioso dentists that want to recoup costs from a durable medical equipment/appliance(DME) federal excise tax increase I'd be careful, they have drills and needles in their hands

The Medical Device Excise Tax (MDET)

* The Medical Device Excise Tax is a 2.3 percent tax based on the sale price of certain medical devices sold in the U.S. by the manufacturer, producer or importer of the device.

* The tax goes into effect on sales made after December 31, 2012, and revenues from the tax will be used to help finance the Affordable Care Act.

* Those in the industry argue the tax will lead to the elimination of jobs, cuts to research and development budgets, and roadblocks in the development of new therapies.

* The largest impact may be on private payers – who will likely absorb much of the cost associated with the new excise tax.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Then why is the dentist in the OP charging for the tax in 2012?
This is It in a nutshell:

They can't bask in the glow of an election victory, so they have to bask in this instead. These little "revenge incidents" because they can't deal with the fact that their candidate lost, and lost badly.

"We lost, so we're gonna show them who the real loser is."

That's really all it is. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with a device tax. They saw the story, realized that Obamacare has little to nothing to do with dentistry nor is it likely that he has 50 employees (I've never seen a dentist office that large), so they pulled out some nonsense about a device tax so that the story would make sense.

And of course, because they're so damn gullible, they expect everyone else to be equally stupid.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
This is It in a nutshell:

They can't bask in the glow of an election victory, so they have to bask in this instead. These little "revenge incidents" because they can't deal with the fact that their candidate lost, and lost badly.

"We lost, so we're gonna show them who the real loser is."

That's really all it is. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with a device tax. They saw the story, realized that Obamacare has little to nothing to do with dentistry nor is it likely that he has 50 employees (I've never seen a dentist office that large), so they pulled out some nonsense about a device tax so that the story would make sense.

And of course, because they're so damn gullible, they expect everyone else to be equally stupid.
Ah..they spent money on software upgrades to show this item for revenge.
Ok..got it now.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with a device tax.
Actually it has everything to do with a MDET tax. It's irrelevant to you, because you are
not the one paying it.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ah..they spent money on software upgrades to show this item for revenge.
Ok..got it now.
Again....gullible.

In this shop i work in, we have to do upgrades all the time. My logistical clerks have had upgrades more than once a year. It's part and parcel of the business we're in. The military is always coming up with a different procedure, and we have to adapt to keep our contract. So I'm supposed to believe that dentist offices don't have to regularly upgrade their software? That Obamacare is the only reason for an update? They'd NEVER have to do an update otherwise?

Yea...right. Uh huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Actually it has everything to do with a MDET tax. It's irrelevant to you, because you are
not the one paying it.
I have to pay any costs that are passed along to me. And I pay plenty. So it IS relevant to me.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times
Quote:
Again....gullible.

In this shop i work in, we have to do upgrades all the time. My logistical clerks have had upgrades more than once a year. It's part and parcel of the business we're in. The military is always coming up with a different procedure, and we have to adapt to keep our contract. So I'm supposed to believe that dentist offices don't have to regularly upgrade their software? That Obamacare is the only reason for an update? They'd NEVER have to do an update otherwise?

Yea...right. Uh huh.

I have to pay any costs that are passed along to me. And I pay plenty. So it IS relevant to me.
I work in the industry, I know...medical providers are traditionally well behind in technology. So yeah, it is right. It usually takes a change in the law for them to upgrade...which is exactly what this is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies