U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 02:14 AM

1,691 posts, read 2,222,110 times

Advertisements

Oh yes, I blame the evangelicals for part of what is going on in Uganda.

There is a documentary from Uganda called Call Me Kuchu. In it you can see American evangelicals whipping up the mobs in living color. One of the things they say is, paraphrasing: 'We lost the fight against the gays in the west but here you're still good people who are going to do what's right. The battle is here. We're not going to lose the fight here.' Keep in mind it's worse than that but that is the gist.

The situation of gays in Uganda is depressing and for whoever said no one here really cares, well I do. I've met the makers of Call Me Kuchu. I've met other gays from Uganda. I've listened to their stories and spoken with them one on one. Their fight is...unreal for lack of a better way to put it.

Because it sells papers, and because of the government stance on gays, the papers actively hunt down anyone they suspect is gay. They stake out restaurants, bars, hotels and stores for "the gays". Whether the person is gay or not they will take their picture and run it in full color in their newspapers along with their name and home address - just in case someone would like to do something about their gayness. It is a sad situation.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:21 AM

29,409 posts, read 19,155,597 times
Lefty kooks have officially lost their minds now it appears. I'm sure they got the Ugandans to hate women, evil rich folks, corporations and oil too while they were at it brainwashing the entire populace to hate gays right??

Old 11-17-2012, 02:27 AM

29,409 posts, read 19,155,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post

There is a documentary from Uganda called Call Me Kuchu. In it you can see American evangelicals whipping up the mobs in living color. One of the things they say is, paraphrasing: 'We lost the fight against the gays in the west but here you're still good people who are going to do what's right. The battle is here. We're not going to lose the fight here.' Keep in mind it's worse than that but that is the gist.

The situation of gays in Uganda is depressing and for whoever said no one here really cares, well I do. I've met the makers of Call Me Kuchu. I've met other gays from Uganda. I've listened to their stories and spoken with them one on one. Their fight is...unreal for lack of a better way to put it.

Because it sells papers, and because of the government stance on gays, the papers actively hunt down anyone they suspect is gay. They stake out restaurants, bars, hotels and stores for "the gays". Whether the person is gay or not they will take their picture and run it in full color in their newspapers along with their name and home address - just in case someone would like to do something about their gayness. It is a sad situation.
Well I just read three reviews of this film and not one of em said anything about these AMERICAN EVANGELICALS whipping up mobs you speak of. So either your lying or the reviewers are.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:46 AM

1,691 posts, read 2,222,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well I just read three reviews of this film and not one of em said anything about these AMERICAN EVANGELICALS whipping up mobs you speak of. So either your lying or the reviewers are.
First, let's be clear, I'm not a lefty.

Second, I don't care what the reviews say. Reviews don't cover every minute of every film now do they?

Third, find the film, watch it. It's in there. And then you owe me an apology because not only are you wrong, you're acting like a jerk about it all because you didn't like what you read. I know the topic of which I speak. I watched the film with the filmmakers. All you have is 'I read a review'.

Last edited by SGrey; 11-17-2012 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 11-17-2012, 06:08 AM

12,763 posts, read 8,062,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Lefty kooks have officially lost their minds now it appears. I'm sure they got the Ugandans to hate women, evil rich folks, corporations and oil too while they were at it brainwashing the entire populace to hate gays right??
wow, you are confused.

evangelicals are lefty kooks?

hahahahaha

Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,840,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
wow, you are confused.

evangelicals are lefty kooks?

hahahahaha
No, you are confused. He called the poster a lefty kook, not the evangelicals.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:18 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,840,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post

The maker of the film, David Kato, was murdered last year. BBC News - Uganda gay rights activist David Kato killed I didn't know him but I know a friend of his who was born in and spent much of his life in Uganda although he is British. He's in the UK now and very sad that he can't go back to the country he calls his home. Fear of what might happen to him.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:00 AM

12,977 posts, read 12,522,304 times
I am astounded that people are arguing the involvement of American evangelicals in the passing of this bill. Seriously, educate yourselves before looking even more foolish. This is not opinion, this is historical fact.

In March 2009, the Family Life Network held a "Seminar on Exposing the Homosexuals' Agenda." in Uganda. Key note speakers were Scott Lively (yes, the Holocaust revisionist), Caleb Lee Brundidge , and Dan Schmierer of the ex-gay group Exodus International.

Quote:
The three Americans who spoke at the conference — Scott Lively, a missionary who has written several books against homosexuality, including “7 Steps to Recruit-Proof Your Child”; Caleb Lee Brundidge, a self-described former gay man who leads “healing seminars”; and Don Schmierer, a board member of Exodus International, whose mission is “mobilizing the body of Christ to minister grace and truth to a world impacted by homosexuality”.

...But the Ugandan organizers of the conference admit helping draft the bill, and Mr. Lively has acknowledged meeting with Ugandan lawmakers to discuss it.
Americans’ Role Seen in Uganda Anti-Gay Push - NYTimes.com

This site has video of the speakers, and more information about the conference.

Globalizing the Culture Wars: U.S. Conservatives, African Churches, and Homophobia - Political Research Associates

Old 11-17-2012, 09:27 AM

11,439 posts, read 17,413,478 times
Default Uganda's Kill The Gays” Bill

I think if it bothers you, go there and protest, me i'll stay home and watch football.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:16 AM

15,721 posts, read 9,930,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Ill will from the gay movement? Please explain.
Don't go there with him. He's a raging anti-gay troll who claims gays are destroying the world with AIDS and die at young ages. He's Paul Cameron's biggest fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or