Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 06:49 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
37% of MS's population is black as well. Blacks are also more likely to be obese than white people. I can make asinine correlations as well but I blame HFCS for the rising obesity rates across the US
Here's the list for white obesity rates:

Differences in Prevalence of Obesity Among Black, White, and Hispanic Adults --- United States, 2006--2008

See table 2. Colorado and Massachusetts are still below average, but Michigan is barely any lower than Mississippi.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 AM

7,998 posts, read 12,692,233 times
Go to Wal-mart on Saturday and wander around. Look at what the obese people are loading up on and it should be no surprise.

The store I go to has one half an aisle dedicated to candy. Another full aisle is potato chips/ corn chips. One entire aisle is soda pop/beer. One half of a freezer aisle is ice cream.

Look at the fast food menus. One Double Whopper with cheese, an order of fries and a coke has nearly 1800 calories. I am a 6'6" male, overweight at 250lbs and I only require 1965 calories a day to maintain my weight. If you look at the typical soda drinker they may have three or four per day and at 140 calories each that is 420 to 560 calories JUST FROM SODA POP.

Except for people with medical conditions obese people are killing themselves and I have no sympathy. I "woke up" two months ago when I weighed in at 275lbs. The BMI index says I should be 215lbs I changed my diet and started walking 3.5 miles a day. I have dropped 25lbs and will contine until I am at my target weight. It is a lot of work- most people are not going to invest an hour a day walking- it would take away from their TV time

Old 11-17-2012, 07:54 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,582,090 times
Obesity is a major issue globally. However, you are more likely to see fat people in any given American street than European.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:51 AM

8,996 posts, read 10,439,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
What is it with you progressives and your hatred of chubbers?
And to think that just a couple of posts upthread, someone accused liberals of being "fat enablers." Which is it?

Old 11-17-2012, 09:35 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,892,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Here's the list for white obesity rates:

Differences in Prevalence of Obesity Among Black, White, and Hispanic Adults --- United States, 2006--2008

See table 2. Colorado and Massachusetts are still below average, but Michigan is barely any lower than Mississippi.
Thank you for those maps. Every time someone points out the south's obesity problem there is always a southerner trying to claim it is all just the black people. Yes, black people (or rather poor people) do tend to be fatter but we can see the white in the south also tend to be a bunch of nasty fat bodies and the excuse of "it's all just the blacks" doesn't fly.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:02 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Obesity is a major issue globally. However, you are more likely to see fat people in any given American street than European.
We're only the second most obese nation of people. Mexico has surpassed us in obesity.

Come on Americans!! We can be number one again.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:46 AM

8,861 posts, read 5,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Better to be a coward enabler passive aggressive individual who doesnt want to tell the person the truth while their bodies do irreversible damage to themselves.
You left out A-hole.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:52 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,629,456 times
As I saw stated, there is a bit of "culture" involved. I lived in south FL and moved north to "The South" lol. There is a big cultural thing here for things like barbecue and biscuits and gravy.

Honestly, I love it. Its great

Its nice to swing by the work cafeteria and get some biscuits and gravy for $1.50 at lunch on a cold morning, and skip lunch and eat a snack after work at 3pm, then at dinner. Good stuff!

Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
As I saw stated, there is a bit of "culture" involved. I lived in south FL and moved north to "The South" lol. There is a big cultural thing here for things like barbecue and biscuits and gravy.

Honestly, I love it. Its great

Its nice to swing by the work cafeteria and get some biscuits and gravy for $1.50 at lunch on a cold morning, and skip lunch and eat a snack after work at 3pm, then at dinner. Good stuff!
The richness of the food doesn't matter -- look at the much more slender French who eat very rich foods.

However they smoke like fiends and also don't eat tons of food, just dainty portions.

It all comes into how many calories are consumed versus how many calories are burned. If you eat biscuits and gravy but get outdoors and burn it off -- hard work or hard leisure activities, you won't pack on the pounds. If you eat those foods and then lay around indoors because it's cold indoors and watch television, you'll get obese.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:51 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,629,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The richness of the food doesn't matter -- look at the much more slender French who eat very rich foods.

However they smoke like fiends and also don't eat tons of food, just dainty portions.

It all comes into how many calories are consumed versus how many calories are burned. If you eat biscuits and gravy but get outdoors and burn it off -- hard work or hard leisure activities, you won't pack on the pounds. If you eat those foods and then lay around indoors because it's cold indoors and watch television, you'll get obese.
Well I do work outdoors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies