Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 09:50 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am assuming you mean my daughter is Asian. She is only 1/4 Asian. She is also 1/4 Hawaiian but she is mostly white.
Setting labels aside, I'm sure she's also beautiful. I'm sorry she had to endure this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Even the more "sophisticated" southerners' behavior can be a bit unsettling. In the early 90s, I was at a hotel restaurant in New Orleans when I overheard the waitress telling a patron that she and the other waiter had a bet to see which ethnicity she belonged to. The waitress asked the patron about this. the patron was not upset and played along with it. I wouldn't have been so accommodating. Many southern whites are just not racially sensitive. It shows up in their lopsided choices for POTUS. Less than 1 in 5 southern whites vote for the Dem candidate. They are too narrow minded and focused on race 24/7.

How about 98% of the black population voting for Obama or the democrats. Talk about lopsided. Do you think that everyone should vote the way you do? People have different views. I vote for the person that I think will do the best job for the country. I don't vote for a person because he is white. Your post is mostly ignorance. And since when is waitresses the more "sophisticated Southerners"?

Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Is there anything to see in these states? Do they have electricity and sanitation? Are the roads paved yet?
I once strung a couple of college English professors along about those flyover states. For over an hour, over an enjoyable lunch, I answered all their questions about the Wild West in Kansas. I answered their questions about Indian raids and the like by telling them that although we have paved roads often we had to ride horses to get at the Indians since the tried to hide far from those roads.

I had ridden a horse to work cattle one time in my first 21 years but had them believing that I had made a living that way since leaving high school.

It was so much fun but when the time was over I just couldn't bring myself to tell them they had been taken in by one of the far west hill billies who still wore side arms, even to church for fear of Indian raids.

BTW this man and woman taught at different schools, Boston College and Boston University, and, yes, we were seated in a restaurant in what I considered a wonderful city, Boston. They had been nice enough to allow two soldiers in uniform to sit with them in a crowded place right after church. I led them on after they mentioned that my buddy, from Ohio, lived way out West. That led me to take them in.

Hey, it might be a lot of fun to take in someone like you since I did it to those people nearly 60 years ago.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:20 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Good we like it that way.

Stick to the highways..
A good poster for Conservative America

Old

White

Clinging to their guns and religion

And still living in a mindset from the late 19th and early 20th century!

Old 11-18-2012, 10:22 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Those "evil, rich people, are Democrats.

Those “Evil, Rich People”
Some of them are, yes. Some of them are Republicans. Sheldon Adelson, the Koch Bros., Trump, Dick Cheney?

It is facile to claim that rich people monopolize either party.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
To be honest, yes. But only because I'm a female and black. The metro areas are okay but once I'm in the smaller towns, I just get uncomfortable especially if I happen to be lost.
Does the theme for "Deliverance" start playing in your head?

Old 11-18-2012, 10:34 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Interesting. We have some redneck cops where I live too, and they stopped a VW microbus from out of state headed to a music festival, the cop had no suspicion there were drugs in the bus, no one had been using them prior to the stop,but they were out of staters heading to Cornerstone so he called for a drug dog anyway and one was not available. He made them wait 30 minutes until the dog arrived, which found drugs, and they were arrested.

However, the wait time was found unreasonable when the case went to court, and all charges were thrown out. And if I remember right, they had quite a bit of pot, mushrooms, and Ecstasy hidden in the bus. I hope what recently went down in Colorado and Washington at least makes people think.

Marijuana is harmless, redneck cops are not.
Whatever. These idiots are driving around with illegal drugs. That is the problem.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Whatever. These idiots are driving around with illegal drugs. That is the problem.
Marijuana has no business being an illegal drug. Primitive drug laws are the reason why police departments claim to never have enough manpower and too many jails are filled with light offenders. The drug war has cost $billions and we still have a drug problem in this country.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times
Yall liberal mixed ethnic Yankee's are nervous travelin around our rural parts, Hell, how u thank us white rebels feel driving around in the hood, LMFAO.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:42 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
I have family in the South and have no fear driving in any red state or red area. Why would I? I've lived in red states, bicycled through some as well.

I used to go hiking often in WV and had a Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker. Never a problem.

Most people don't live and breath partisan politics 24/7 and it wouldn't arise as an issue unless one brought up politics, or was so blatant like the guys in Top Gear, who purposely tried to provoke the locals in a drive through Alabama.

Alabama Rednecks - TopGear - Video

(although it's likely the show staged this. Still funny).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies