Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 PM

420 posts, read 335,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
yep, you would rather give up your freedoms to the jackbooted thugs of the tsa and your pocketbook to the airline corporations than just say no with your feet and drive.
Jackbooted thug. Haven't heard that in awhile. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunValleyRoadKing View Post
Jackbooted thug. Haven't heard that in awhile. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face.
I'm not sure I'd call TSA agents jackbooted thugs...more like "overweight, middle aged men and women who have access to really cool technology"

Old 11-18-2012, 07:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I've driven through both. Oklahoma on a semi-frequent basis, been awhile for Mississippi. Only scary part is how dumb the native drivers are in those states. Like not stopping at the stop sign for a gravel road intersecting a US Hwy, pulling out in front of you and going 45 mph when the speed limit is 65. That kind of thing.

Here in Texas, we have an old saying, "The reason Texas doesn't slide off into the Gulf of Mexico is because Oklahoma sucks."

You also imagined a big Romney victory.

So much for the ol' imagination, joe.
Texans often complain about traffic here. Yeah, the 45 mile and hour folks like to cruse gently down the highway. But Oklahoma is the home of taking your time. And when you get all upset and find a place to pass and rush ahead, you know they are laughing. And there is no 'fudge' zone of five or so mph on tickets, so a lot of Texans contribute to the OK coffers with the tickets they get.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I am not red personally, nor blue but consider myself a wishful social leaning lib and live in a red state. They deal with me on a day to day basis just fine. I find we have more in common than we don't. I try and avoid political talks based on banter and stick to the weather, and general issues like gardening, etc. I have little problems. Now, I'm not stupid enough to slap on a bumper sticker on my car or a sign in my yard but other than that it's all good out here in the wild wild west. lol

I like their mind you own business attitude until they don't mind theirs and then we might have a problem. I would love a country run more like France or Germany when it comes to healthcare and retirement, and I'm entitled to my opinion when asked, but if not asked I don't announce it. I'm not rude and if they aren't rude were good to go.
I'm much like you. I moved from a badly overcrowded blue state, socal, to a relatively sparcely populated red one, OK. I love it here. And I've never once had a problem with someone over politics. I also don't really discuss them, but didn't in California either. I am Wiccan, and my pent is quite visible, and in Riverside this meant the fundies tried to save you. Nobody had made a fuss about it at all here, or really even cared. It's my business. What matters more to me than politics is weather, when the city will blanket the town with citations saying the grass has to be cut, old houses and their challenges, and the like. But I love that there is space. Maybe because I love the beauty of the high desert, and this is close to it, I find it quite beautiful. But especially in that its open.

I don't do signs in my yard or the like, and don't have a bumper so putting one on it would be hard, but I like the attitude here of its your own business so much more than the one I remember in socal.

You have politics everwhere you go and if it has to be perfect you'll never find a place that's 'yours'.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 PM

Did Ann Coulter hijack this thread? All of this "liberals believe this" and "liberals believe that" is getting kind of old.

I live in one of the bluest cities in one of the bluest states in the country and I love it. However, I still love to visit other areas of the country where I'm certain that people's opinions and lifestyles are different from my own. Last year around this time I flew to New Orleans and came come via bus and train. I had the good fortune of spending a night in a bed and breakfast in a small Mississippi city. The owners were an older, conservative couple (I could tell because they had George Bush's autobiography on one of their tables), but nonetheless they were very kind. They were small b&b owners trying to make a living, not unlike the gay, liberal couples trying to make a living running b&bs in Provincetown, MA.

The convoluted point I'm trying to make is that we're not all that different from each other. Maybe if we stopped this kind of bull**** rhetoric, we might see that we're not all that different.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
Did Ann Coulter hijack this thread? All of this "liberals believe this" and "liberals believe that" is getting kind of old.

I live in one of the bluest cities in one of the bluest states in the country and I love it. However, I still love to visit other areas of the country where I'm certain that people's opinions and lifestyles are different from my own. Last year around this time I flew to New Orleans and came come via bus and train. I had the good fortune of spending a night in a bed and breakfast in a small Mississippi city. The owners were an older, conservative couple (I could tell because they had George Bush's autobiography on one of their tables), but nonetheless they were very kind. They were small b&b owners trying to make a living, not unlike the gay, liberal couples trying to make a living running b&bs in Provincetown, MA.

The convoluted point I'm trying to make is that we're not all that different from each other. Maybe if we stopped this kind of bull**** rhetoric, we might see that we're not all that different.
Well said....we all pretty much want the same things, we just feel we should go about getting there differently. And we hate each other because of those differences. (And, judging based upon the posts here, most of us on this forum actually do hate each other because of them.) It's sad.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Well said....we all pretty much want the same things, we just feel we should go about getting there differently. And we hate each other because of those differences. (And, judging based upon the posts here, most of us on this forum actually do hate each other because of them.) It's sad.
thanks...please forgive my typo...it should have said "came home"

Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Texans often complain about traffic here. Yeah, the 45 mile and hour folks like to cruse gently down the highway. But Oklahoma is the home of taking your time. And when you get all upset and find a place to pass and rush ahead, you know they are laughing. And there is no 'fudge' zone of five or so mph on tickets, so a lot of Texans contribute to the OK coffers with the tickets they get.

I always top off my tank in Wichita Falls just to make sure I never leave a penny behind me in Oklahoma.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,117 times
I can't be bothered. Pretty much every non-residential building is either a church, a gas station or a combination of both.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Yet, let me guess, you're not impoverished at all. So you have zero idea what you're wishing on yourself.
No, not impoverished. Worked my way out of that one. But I am from rural Georgia. Grew up without my family being able to afford me shoes all of the time. All I am saying is that if I were to be impoverished again, I would rather have the countryside around me than concrete. All that smacking yourself has knocked something loose. Take it easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies