Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2012, 01:19 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times

Advertisements

Pardon me, but the last I checked an IRA was a private investment product. Who is BO to tell me I can't buy it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 01:21 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
I remember a few years ago a Congress Woman brought up this issue so it is out there and under discussion.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:23 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Great post! Glad someone understands that SS, as designed in 1935, was only supposed to fund the few that outlived the odds. It was never designed to pay for 10, 20 and even 30 years of retirement for everyone.

Yep, something has to give before the whole house of cards comes crashing down.
Social Security has been modified twice since it's inception to stabilize it. Both efforts succeeded. Once in the 70s and again by Reagan in 1986. It can be modified and stabilized again to account for the changing demographics. Dems want to modify and stabilize. Repubs want to kill it. that's the basic difference.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The funny part is that they do not realize that this claim was bogus several years ago, but they think it is true today just because someone re-posted it .
actually it is something that has been investigated from time to time by every administration since clinton. nothing has been done as too many in congress on both sides of the isle oppose federalizing private retirement accounts. understand that could change in the future though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Pardon me, but the last I checked an IRA was a private investment product. Who is BO to tell me I can't buy it?
obama isnt saying you cant invest in an IRA, just that the possibility exists that the fed might take over your IRA and run it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Yeah, republican governors in 4 states have tried to take away government worker's like union firemen, teachers and police pensions and their ability to collectively bargain. Does Wisconsin ring a bell?

Plus the link claims that Obama personally will confiscate all private pension funds. what a load of Right wing republican scare tactic, crapola. No way would he or could he do such an outragious thing. Anybody who believes this is truly deaf, dumb and blind to the truth.
nobodys pensions were taken away, in fact many were rolled into a 401(k) account and the workers are better off for it. granted they have to pay a little more towards their own retirement.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They can do that to themselves because they are the employer. But so far the public discussions have only talked about the other retirement vehicles..401K and IRA and have never even mentioned private pensions.

I'm following this and have been for a few years. Us peons are still safe.

If I were a government worker though I would definitely get myself educated on their proposals and weigh the effect on one's retirement.

The problem though is not how money goes INTO the accounts but how it would come out.
I have read proposals of putting people on annuities with COLA adjustments each year. That takes away your choice, doesn't give you access to your funds and treats your retirement funds like SS. What if you wanted a lump sum distribution or part distribution, part annuity ?

Anyway..it pays to pay attention to what the government does with their own workers' pensions because it's plausible that they could try to implement this to the public.

FWIW, Americans have amassed over $1 trillion in 401K/IRA/Roth/etc retirement accounts.
You can only imagine what Congress would do if they got access to those funds.
Quote:
Hey..follow what is going on if you want. If you don't think this is plausible then don't follow it.
But don't deny that the talks and proposals aren't happening because they are and have been for a few years now.

Even the DOL had a public hearing (3 days I think) on "Lifetime Income Options" for Americans.
Here's the link: (links to the transcripts of those hearings are on that page)
Lifetime Income Options For Participants And Beneficiaries In Retirement Plans

In all cases it involves the Fed Government taking ownership of all retirement funds and making decisions on the distribution of those funds upon retirement.
Don't let them push you into one mass retirement plan.

You need three potential sources of retirement income:

1] a pension plan or some kind of 401(k) plan

2] your personal retirement savings

3] some form of guaranteed income, like Social Security, but not necessarily Social Security.

Some kind of end-of-life insurance would be best. Pay $21/month and get $500,000 guaranteed, like life-insurance.

Retiring...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Thank you for posting! Anything with the words, "Government run" makes me shiver. No, thanks. Our SS trust fund has been stolen, and that's bad enough.
best, toodie
Doesn't matter. Even if you had gold bullion sitting in your OASI, OADI and HI Trust Funds they will fail, because they were never fully funded.

Or to use Democrat-speak, they were "unfunded social welfare programs."

Realistically...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
TENTH ANNUAL PENSIONS AND CAPITAL STEWARDSHIP CONFERENCE
March 2012
Pensions and Capital Stewardship Project, Labor and Worklife Program
Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Hank Kim, Executive Director, National Conference on Public Employee Retirement Systems

“What Can the Role of Pension Funds Be in Economic Growth and Job Creation?”
Financial Market Post-Meltdown: Are We At the Beginning or the End of the Change That is Needed?
“Should Pension Funds Invest in Commodities? If So What Are the Implications for Them....and Others?”
“Infrastructure Investments by New York City Unions’ Pension Funds: A Promising Plan? Reasons, Risks, Recommendations”
“Investment in Private Markets: Rewards, Risks, and Implications for Economic Growth and Jobs – Good Jobs? – Creation”
Doing Well by Doing Good? The Public Sector Plan Role in Enabling Private Sector Worker Participation Retirement Plans

http://www.law.harvard.edu/programs/...Hank%20Kim.pdf
April 2012
That is all bad.

The only thing more frightening than "White House" is "Ivy League" or "Harvard."

LBJ was right...the "you-Harvards" are useless and done nothing but mess up the entire world.

Pension funds need to be kept separate, apart and isolated out-of-the-loop, just like your mortgages need to be.

Note that if your mortgage finance system was isolated, the damage would not have been so great.

Portending....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Lemme guess, they're going to steal from people to give it to those who didn't save as much to ensure 'fairness'.
Yes.

The financial and economic future of your country is incredibly bleak.

The US isn't going to burn down, fall over and sink into a swamp, but let's just say that Disco will sound good (again -- I guess -- not that it ever did) and people will be reminiscing about the 70s.

They're trying to weasel-dick their way out of their obligations by spreading the "pain" around.

Fairly...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Historical long term capital gains tax rates:

1942-67: 25%
1976: 39.9 %
1979: 28 %
1982: 20 %
1987: 28 %
1997: 20 %
2003: 15% till 2005
2005:15% till 2010
2010: 15% till 2012 ( extended by Obama)

In other words, capital gains were taxed at less than 20% in only 7 out of the past 70 years. There is nothing in our history or experience that says that unearned income has to be taxed this lightly. It’s not a time-honored principle. Should the very wealthy like Warren Buffet and Mitt Romney pay the same % as most?
There's lots of things that say that it must be taxed that lightly. I was going to go into a rant and throw up some Congressional Research Service data, but BigJon already covered that here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

Capital Gains Taxes: The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics | Library of Economics and Liberty

So you can raise that top rate to 40% if you want to but you must understand that has consequences and the ability of venture capitalist to go elsewhere is growing at an enormous rate.
By the way, you can find those same graphs in the CRS reports.

The evidence clearly and convincingly shows that lower Capital Gains Tax Rates produce more tax revenues for government, while higher Capital Gains Tax Rates result in a loss of revenues for government.

One needs only to look at the Clinton Era. Capital Gains rates were cut and tax revenues damn-near started falling out of the sky showering the government with money that it never had before.

Quote:
The average projected life was like 59 years when SS was created in the 1930s. This means if one managed to live 6 years beyond the projection, they got the benefit no matter what they contributed. It took the collective earning power of the baby boom to get the WW@ generation through. What has changed is projected life and the medical costs associated with old age. Using the same logic that was in place when SS was created, people should not be eligiblee for a SS pull till their 80's. With 10,000 people turning 65 each day for the next 20 years, something has to give. And I say this as someone who is a tad closer to 65 than I am to 45.
Your logic is extremely faulty.

Life expectancy was never the problem. The problem is that Social Security is a Ponzi-Scheme.

At start-up, you had 48 workers for each person collecting Social Security benefits. By the 1950s you were down to 16 workers for each person collecting benefits. That dropped to 8 workers per retiree in the 1960s.

From the 1970s to the first part of this century, it had stabilized at a rate of 3 workers for each beneficiary. That is stable in the short-term, but not over the long-term.

Now, you have 2.1 workers per retiree. You weren't supposed to have a 2 to 1 ratio until 2035.

That's why you cannot fund Social Security....there aren't enough worker bees paying taxes, and worse than that, the wages of the worker bees have been stagnant/declining, so that less money is being collected.

There is no way a 1% tax could have ever funded Social Security through time --- even if the life expectancy decreased.

You can "fix" Social Security, but only for the short-term and mid-term, and only at great cost to your economy, meaning you'll lose jobs, have even lower wages, and a lower standard of living.

There is no way to save Social Security for Generation Y.

Quote:
Israel leads the world in VC and taxes capital gains at 25%. 2/3 of funding comes from non- Israel sources.
The US subsidizes Israel through no-interest loans, low interest loans (below market rates are set rates), and the US gives away tax-payer money to Israel.

Israel also benefits from the fact that all Israeli imports are tax-free, tariff-free and duty-free, which means US taxpayers lose money because they are not collecting imposts from Israeli imports.

What Israel does concerning tax policy is hardly relevant to the US.

Economically...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You will still have social security checks if you worked a mere 10 years. That is the government's forced retirement plan, we don't need another.
That isn't entirely true.

You need 40 quarters. During each quarter, you must earn a certain amount of money in order to get credit for that quarter. The amount of money you must earn changes over time, meaning that when this was enacted (I believe in the 1970s) $258 and is now $1,130 per quarter.

Bending points...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
He is The Boy King™.

Quote:
Social Security has been modified twice since it's inception to stabilize it. Both efforts succeeded. Once in the 70s and again by Reagan in 1986. It can be modified and stabilized again to account for the changing demographics. Dems want to modify and stabilize. Repubs want to kill it. that's the basic difference.
You don't understand the underlying issues.

There is no way to "modify and stabilize" Social Security without destroying your economy.

You don't have enough people working to fund Social Security. Make no mistake about it -- this has nothing to do with unemployment rates. Whether your unemployment rate was 10% or 1% does not alter the fact that you cannot fund Social Security.

The issue is your labor participation rate. It is not where it needs to be to generate the tax income necessary to fund Social Security. Like I said, a 5% unemployment rate with a 64% labor participation rate is a total fail.

You need a labor participation rate of 66.8% to 67.4% to fund Social Security -- and you'll still need to raise the FICA/SECA tax rate to do that.

On top of that wages have been declining since the Clinton Era, and they will continue to decline for the next 40 years until there is some global equilibrium among wages.

No, sorry, eliminating the cap for Social Security will not cover the sort falls. You'll need to find $500 Billion per year in just 8 years, and then 8 years later you'll need $1 TRILLION -- and you ain't got it.

Financially....

Mircea

Old 11-17-2012, 03:29 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That isn't entirely true.

You need 40 quarters. During each quarter, you must earn a certain amount of money in order to get credit for that quarter. The amount of money you must earn changes over time, meaning that when this was enacted (I believe in the 1970s) $258 and is now $1,130 per quarter.
A quarter is just a quarter of a year - and yes, minimal part time work counts.

Very little money has to have been paid in -- someone could have income as little as under $5000 a year at current rates -- work like that for 40 quarters or 10 years and that individual can expect a social security check from age 62 or 65 until they die.

One easy fix would be to increase the number of quarters to 120 or 160 in order to receive social security and base the amount to get credit for a quarter on the equivalent of minimum wage at 40 hours a week.

Far too many are taking out that never paid much into it at all.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The funny part is that they do not realize that this claim was bogus several years ago, but they think it is true today just because someone re-posted it .
Then there was the bogus public discussion over 2 days with the DOL in 2010.
Here's a link to the bogus agenda and transcripts:

Old 11-17-2012, 03:33 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:

How come when Dems "modify and stabilize" it, they always do it in a way that's regressive?

Old 11-17-2012, 03:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A quarter is just a quarter of a year - and yes, minimal part time work counts.

Very little money has to have been paid in -- someone could have income as little as under $5000 a year at current rates -- work like that for 40 quarters or 10 years and that individual can expect a social security check from age 62 or 65 until they die.

One easy fix would be to increase the number of quarters to 120 or 160 in order to receive social security and base the amount to get credit for a quarter on the equivalent of minimum wage at 40 hours a week.

Far too many are taking out that never paid much into it at all.

Congratulations, you have just thrown millions of Obamacare 'losers' under the bus...the burger flipper who now works 29 hours a week is screwed - pays in without getting anything back - while the $20/hr worker with 29 hours is still covered.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:40 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Then there was the bogus public discussion over 2 days with the DOL in 2010.
Here's a link to the bogus agenda and transcripts:
Can you point out where it says IRAs and 401K would be canceled and the portfolio transfered to government control. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies