Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 05:41 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,544,397 times

Advertisements

I could find a story, but Gov. Richardson just stated that he would like to see a US Water Policy. He says states like Wisconsin are abundant in water and should give some of their excess to Southwestern states (like N. Mex.). I can't think of anything worse he could say to a midwesterner. Look at Michigan. The sunbelt took their jobs, their people, their industry, hell they took their pride. Now they want their water too. Perhaps 10 million people shouldn't build their houses in the desert. I think Mich. would be more than willing to give them water when they move to Michigan. Apparently Gov Richardson did not realize that the Great Lakes are at an all time low, or that they only regenerate water at 1% per year. He seems to have overlooked the environmental disaster that taking water would entail. The ironic part, though, is that Gov. Richardson just made it so that he is unelectable. Even if he makes it to nomination, he needed the Ohios, Michigans, Wisconsins, Illinoiss and Minnesotas to secure his election. It's like telling Iowans that Ethanol is bad. This Democrat would rather have Giuliani than give up his 10,000 lakes. That is my thought for the day.
---Minnehahapolitan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 06:20 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,667,102 times
It kind of makes you wonder what the water situation will be like in 50 years when we have another hundred million people living here.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:49 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,492,959 times
Default unlikely

Look if this the global warming issue is true. Then fresh water anywhere is going to be of concern. I believe that the Great lakes hold about 20% of the world's fresh water and we are currently losing all but 2 of the Great Lakes to evaporation because of warmer winter temperatures. This does not just put a strain on the U.S. But Also a major stain on Canada. Which situates most of it larger cities on or nears the Great Lakes. This in time will cause the U.S. States and Canada to have major political fights over who get water and how much water is given out. So the idea of the south western states getting any water from the great lakes is in my mind very unlikely.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:51 PM

348 posts, read 1,019,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
It kind of makes you wonder what the water situation will be like in 50 years when we have another hundred million people living here.
The wells run dry here in Georgia..we are having serious drought issues right now.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:53 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,089,144 times
I can tell you with certainty that the Western states, especially Colorado, Idaho, and Utah, are in an water crisis (or will be soon). And it will be a tremendous crisis, too.

Quite simply, we can't handle the tremendous influx of growth, and/or selling our water to our richer neighbors to the Southwest (Arizona and California).

I'm interested to learn more about his proposal, because in all truthfulness, something has to be done.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Tread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
I can tell you with certainty that the Western states, especially Colorado, Idaho, and Utah, are in an water crisis (or will be soon). And it will be a tremendous crisis, too.

Quite simply, we can't handle the tremendous influx of growth, and/or selling our water to our richer neighbors to the Southwest (Arizona and California).

I'm interested to learn more about his proposal, because in all truthfulness, something has to be done.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/michi...n-s-other.html

Not exactly what your looking for but here's tread the topic. I'm guessing Gov. Richardson probably has a similar idea.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:03 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,417,965 times
We can probably develop over time one or more technologies that will allow us to wean ourselves off of oil. We are going to have a lot harder time weaning ourselves off of water...

Old 10-12-2007, 08:33 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,611,535 times
Well, look at how desert societies like Israel, Saudia Arabia, the UAE, and Kuwait get some or much of their water - massive desalination plants. Those used to be quite expensive and cumbersome, but the technology keeps getting better. Drawing water from the Pacific Ocean seems to be a better solution than trying to build pipelines up to Lake Michigan or wherever else.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:03 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,155,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Well, look at how desert societies like Israel, Saudia Arabia, the UAE, and Kuwait get some or much of their water - massive desalination plants. Those used to be quite expensive and cumbersome, but the technology keeps getting better. Drawing water from the Pacific Ocean seems to be a better solution than trying to build pipelines up to Lake Michigan or wherever else.
My kind of answer, good take on the problem!

WateReuse Association - Creating New Sources of High Quality Water (broken link)

Southwest Hydrology

Seawater Desalination: KEY DESALINATION FACTS (http://www.coastal.ca.gov/desalrpt/dkeyfact.html - broken link)

Desalination

Old 10-12-2007, 09:07 PM

Default have doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
My kind of answer, good take on the problem!

WateReuse Association - Creating New Sources of High Quality Water (broken link)

Southwest Hydrology

Seawater Desalination: KEY DESALINATION FACTS (http://www.coastal.ca.gov/desalrpt/dkeyfact.html - broken link)

Desalination
Agreeded it a good idea and one that has been proven. But will our politicans and bussiness leaders actually promote the idea? I have my doubts. But we will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies