Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:05 PM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

What, this is a surprise?

The founding fathers no longer felt any loyalty to the British Crown whose subjects they were, and yes, that makes tem very unpatriotic indeed. Patriotism isn't an absolute value, it's tied to the country you're inhabiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 01:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Why don't you secessionists just LEAVE and stop talking us to death about it? We won't miss you. Bye

Old 11-18-2012, 01:19 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why don't you secessionists just LEAVE and stop talking us to death about it? We won't miss you. Bye
Your FREE to not read or participate in the given topic of discussion

Old 11-18-2012, 01:25 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,273 times
Yeah, you're darn right they were unpatriotic. I wouldn't expect them to be British patriots though...

Old 11-18-2012, 01:30 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Not just the founding fathers, but anyone, all over the world who has ever called for secession are equally unpatriotic. The people in Yugoslavia, were unpatriotic, and we helped them. Israeli's living in the Palestinian territories were unpatriotic. All of the constituents of the Soviet Union were unpatriotic when it dissolved.

The people calling for secession in Scotland right now must be unpatriotic. When Ireland became independent of Britain, it must have been filled to the brim with unpatriotic people. People calling for independence in Catalonia, Spain must all be unpatriotic. People in Venice calling for secession from Italy must be unpatriotic. The Kurds in northern Iraq, who want their own country, are unpatriotic. The people of South Sudan I guess were unpatriotic. Every nation created by the breakup of a larger nation, had to have been filled with people who were unpatriotic. Which of the independent countries of the world, which were previously part of a larger nation, do you believe should not exist?

Secession is the most patriotic damn thing a person could desire. Secession is a reaffirmation of the principle, that the government exists by the consent of the governed. If the people don't give their consent, then government only exists as tyranny and subjugation of the weak.

Does that mean we should have secession? No. But it does mean we need to find a way to return to a government that exists by the consent of the people. Until 1861, all the states stayed in this country voluntarily. After 1861, the states are only in this nation because of force. You don't find that sad? How can there be a union, if it only exists through force.
And what is stopping you from seceding? I have no problem with you leaving the country if you seem to hate it so much. You go rally your troops and try to leave the country.....let us know how that works out for you.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
Your FREE to not read or participate in the given topic of discussion
Whining on the internet isn't going to make secession happen for you, if you want it to happen then you are going to have to take actual action to make it happen. But if you are just gonna post on the internet about wanting to secede and whining about not getting your way with this past election, then you might have to put up with others' freedom of speech and we call you out on this.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:44 PM

420 posts, read 335,148 times
I have no problem with secession. Idle threats resulting from losing an election are something else altogether. Such people are acting like children. If our rights actually do become threatened, I will stand right alongside those who choose to form their own union. So far, there has been no communist takeover, no one has come for my gun, freedom of speech is alive and well, etc., etc. Therefore, these juvenile talks of secession make for a good laugh, nothing more.

As far as patriotism goes, that's a very broad and subjective matter.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunValleyRoadKing View Post
I have no problem with secession. Idle threats resulting from losing an election are something else altogether. Such people are acting like children. If our rights actually do become threatened, I will stand right alongside those who choose to form their own union. So far, there has been no communist takeover, no one has come for my gun, freedom of speech is alive and well, etc., etc. Therefore, these juvenile talks of secession make for a good laugh, nothing more.
^ Spot on!!

Old 11-18-2012, 03:24 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Whining on the internet isn't going to make secession happen for you, if you want it to happen then you are going to have to take actual action to make it happen. But if you are just gonna post on the internet about wanting to secede and whining about not getting your way with this past election, then you might have to put up with others' freedom of speech and we call you out on this.
Maybe I miss understood that CD is a forum for open discussion and debate of ideas....both like and unlike.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:28 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Yeah, the founding fathers were very unpatriotic to the British...As the current loony secessionists are to Americans.
That's what lunatic right wing fanatics don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies