Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 04:11 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
Maybe I miss understood that CD is a forum for open discussion and debate of ideas....both like and unlike.
Oh please discuss everything you want in here, but don't get upset when people don't agree with your point of view and exercise their freedom to tell you so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 04:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Certainly they wre unpatriotic to the British creown of which they were citizens at the time.But they won which chnages evrything from traders to be hung to winner and leaders of a new nation.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:14 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh please discuss everything you want in here, but don't get upset when people don't agree with your point of view and exercise their freedom to tell you so.
Obviously we are way off topic here....but just for clarification.....it is you talking about being upset. Personally.....I learn alot from this banter....every once in a while someone actually has a little insight into the issues on this forum. Even if I do not always agree....

Old 11-18-2012, 05:18 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Secession used to be legal. The Grandfather of the Republican party, Lincoln, made it illegal.

Simple enough.

Most people don't want to secede from the union, even in states like Texas and Mississippi. A few hundred thousand nuts on the internet with petitions means nothing. When I start seeing large numbers of legislators in states debating it in state houses, then I'll pay attention.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
Your FREE to not read or participate in the given topic of discussion
Look at you. Secession in one breath, but in the next breath you wanna talk about the great American freedom of speech. How ironic.

Like I said...stop talking secession to death and please DO IT! I'm not interested in your lame ass idle threats and ad infinitum discussions on the topic. Box or throw rocks...fish or cut bait. Talk is cheap.

Now leave my country or quit crying.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:29 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Certainly they wre unpatriotic to the British creown of which they were citizens at the time.But they won which chnages evrything from traders to be hung to winner and leaders of a new nation.
There is an old and true statement. The difference between a freedom fighter and a terrorist is the side your on.

For those whe refugeed out to Canada, the freedom fighters were terrorists after their farms were burned and people killed. (Yes, both sides did that sort of activity to each other back then too. It wasn't the nice, honorable war the history books in grade school like to call it) The rebels called the loyalist terrorists for doing the same to them. And and all of the founding fathers were dead meat if the revolution had failed except maybe Franklin if he stayed in France.

That the colonies, with the help of France, won really doesn't change that to Britan they were unpatriotic and traitors to their heritage. Witness that in 1812 war broke out again to show that all was not forgotten. If Britan hadn't once again been engaged in war with France over the dominance of the European continent, a bit more important than the squabble with the colonies, the US could have lost that one.

Winning only changes that its over and you can both go back to usual. Not that one side became disloyal to the other. Taking out Washington wasn't nearly as much for strategy but for symbolically hanging them all.

I read up on the current looming vote in Scotland now and then and its interesting that there are those firmly opposed, and those firmly in favor of seperation, and those who like seperation but see the end results as well and then aren't so sure they want it. Same sort of divergence as back in 1776 except the battle ground is a vote this time around.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:06 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Yeah, you're darn right they were unpatriotic. I wouldn't expect them to be British patriots though...
By their own arguments, they rejected the notion of the king as merely British - he was their king, king of America in fact if not in form. Their argument rested on the idea that the king was sovereign of the American provinces just as much as king of Great Britain, and that since the king was the embodiment of sovereignty in law and by divine will, they were his subjects - but not subjects of the Parliament of Great Britain.

Which is why, when the final crisis came, the "bill of impeachment" drawn up by Jefferson focused on the faults of their American king, and to the extent it mentioned Parliament at all, it was almost entirely to insist that their American king had failed to protect them from the pretensions of the British legislature.

So by their own lights, they can't be accused of un-patriotism toward Britain - only of disloyalty to their own lawful king, whom they just happened to share with Great Britain. Whether one believes that they were justified in renouncing that loyalty depends, of course, on whether one accepts the validity of their constitutional understanding and the validity of the charges they leveled against George III, in the form of Jefferson's declaration.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:13 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Look at you. Secession in one breath, but in the next breath you wanna talk about the great American freedom of speech. How ironic.

Like I said...stop talking secession to death and please DO IT! I'm not interested in your lame ass idle threats and ad infinitum discussions on the topic. Box or throw rocks...fish or cut bait. Talk is cheap.

Now leave my country or quit crying.

I'm sorry, but that guy said something I often say on message boards: WHY COME TO A TOPIC AND SAY "THIS TOPIC IS STUPID"? Just ignore it if you think it's that stupid.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
I agree with the OP. In the end, the difference between a "traitor" and a "Founding Father" is one word: VICTORY.

Now, if the South were to secede and, for some reason, Russia recognized them and sent an army to help them and the US threw its hands up and said "not worth the fight. Have fun in the free state of Redneckistan," whoever decided for the south to secede would be a founding father. If secession ended with the USA capturing and executing its leaders, the guy would be a "traitor".

Old 11-18-2012, 07:24 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
And Obama is re-elected by consent of the governed. By a margin of 3.5 million and climbing.

Oh, and the founding fathers were beyond liberal. They were radicals. The conservatives of that period in US history were known as torries and traitors.

Look, I don't want to argue specifics in regards to American secession. People will say that it was justified because we didn't have proper representation in parliament, or because Britain had a king. But, regardless of if we had gotten proper representation, I think we still would have wanted to secede, probably sooner than later.

The reason why was because the American colonies simply had different interests than the British. The economy of America was vastly different than the British economy. The immigrants that came to America, largely left Britain because they wanted more freedom that Britain wasn't offering. If we hadn't fought for independence in 1776, it still would have happened.

Even if Britain had been a democracy, would we still be British today? I just don't believe that we would.

Regardless of the excuses for why the revolutionary war was necessary. The truth is, the majority of American colonists did not support war with the British in 1776. The number of people who supported the war, was between 33% and 40%. And far fewer actively participated in the war. A large percentage of the American population supported the British at varying points in the war, or simply didn't take a side.

My point is, secession from Britain was a good thing, not because America became a great nation, even if it hadn't become a powerful nation, even if we were Switzerland, we still needed independence. Independence is a good thing. Would we really still want to be told what to do by a government thousands of miles away? Regardless of if we have representation or not.

Scotland is currently discussing secession from the UK. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I mean, they have representation in parliament, what could possibly be the problem?

What people fail to realize, is that a country, especially a large country, isn't a monolithic group of people. Countries can be quite diverse, our country is quite diverse. And as you travel from one region of this country to the next, the values of the people vary significantly. So much so that my state of Oklahoma for instance, voted for Mitt Romney by about a 67 to 33 margin. Utah voted for Romney about 73% to 27%. While Vermont voted for Obama at 67%. If we look at it like this. In Oklahoma and Utah, about the same percentage of people supported Obama this election, as the percentage of Americans who supported the British in the Revolutionary war.

Basically, liberal policies are ridiculously unpopular in Oklahoma, to the point that people here are becoming increasingly hostile. This country is called the "United States of America", which translated into a union of states. The states came together to create a union for the benefit of all of the states.

A union is a voluntary relationship. If a union is not voluntary, then it is not a union. It would more resemble an empire. Our union hasn't been voluntary since 1861. Back when Abraham Lincoln declared a war of aggression against the South to prevent them from escaping the American empire. I always find it interesting that even today, if someone argues for a state to secede, people who seem to hate those people, will say that if a state tried to secede, we should send in the military to squash the secession. Why?

The problem today is, the constitution has been so perverted by the courts and Congress. This government is simply nothing like the founders intended it to be, and no one can rationally argue otherwise. The only remotely coherent argument for justifying the rapid encroachment of the federal government, is that "the founders couldn't imagine a world like ours is now, 200 years ago". Which still falls short, because they understood the world would change, which is why they created the amendment process.

The reality is that this government is becoming nothing more than an unlimited democracy, supported by judges who legislate from the bench. The checks and balances that limited the government in the past, have been destroyed. At this point, there is nothing that truly prohibits encroachments by the federal government, except Supreme Court justices, who seem to give more the appearance of voting their beliefs, rather than actually interpreting the constitution. Most important decisions end up 5-4, and instead of acknowledging that the court is fundamentally broken. We seem to be more interested in making sure that we get to appoint the next Supreme Court justice, to make sure "our side wins".

Its simply a joke, a sad, cruel joke. It makes me depressed just thinking about it.

But the saddest thing, is that people are so caught up in the desire to just get their way. That they seem to ignore the truth when its staring them in the face. It seems like people these days will look the other way as someone is being murdered, as long as they are being paid off by the murderer.

The people today, have no principles, they have no character, they have nothing. They are more and more simply empty, just voting for their next payoff. While attacking anyone who raises their arm to declare that this isn't right, this isn't how it is supposed to be, as just a sore loser.

I'm not a sore loser, I didn't want Romney to win, in fact, I'm glad Obama won. Because had Obama lost, the people on the right would largely have been silenced, as they would then have to rally behind their guy, rather than calling for change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies