Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:09 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I've never said it was easy. Instead of attempting to turn this into a silly, emotive-based discussion, how about engaging in a logical debate? Why do we lionize these folks and not those who provide us with more essential goods and services at greater risks? I'd still like an answer as to who the military is protecting me from at this moment. Can we not subject this to cost/benefit analysis?
I think a lot of it is over-compensating for the negative feelings left over from the Viet Nam era.

Couple that with the fact that we now have an all-volunteer force, who many believe have to be something akin to super-human to choose to sign up for a job that will put them in harm's way. As noted in the article linked below, they are thought to be particularly "selfless" which earns them some measure of instant status despite the rather mundane reality that many who join do so only for a steady paycheck.

And, because it is now a choice, many have no experience with the military life and so, like so many other things romanticize what that life must be like in order to justify supporting the military industrial complex which, let's face it, is a huge component of our economy.

BBC News - Petraeus affair: Why the cult of the American general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
When I was in the military, this was my fetish, a D8 Caterpillar. On very cold days, sub zero temperatures, the smoke stack would glow red and blue flames would shoot out from the exhaust stack. Awesome raw power, it made me feel like a real he man!
Let us never discount the pure, raw joy that comes from playing with really big toys.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
I am the child of a Desert Storm veteran and the grandchild of a Bronze Star veteran who served in WWII, Korea, and 'Nam. I'm beyond angry I have to read such dreck as what the OP wrote.
Why?

Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My son has a job, respect, he gets paid to work out, and shoot guns. Last year he went to the Philippines, and Guam for his job. He is happy. Fetish? Free healthcare for life? Free college? The real question is why others don't get their act together and join up too...
It can be a very good life, no question.
My son spent the last couple of weeks in Hawaii courtesy of Uncle Sam. The military has been very good to, and for, him.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My son has a job, respect, he gets paid to work out, and shoot guns. Last year he went to the Philippines, and Guam for his job. He is happy. Fetish? Free healthcare for life? Free college? The real question is why others don't get their act together and join up too...
The cost is dear - you belong to the Federal gov't and all your civilian rights vanish until you leave the military, even afterward, depending on the security clearance that you have.

Bradley Manning, solitary confinement, no charges, no trial, just indefinite detention - probably losing his mind as we speak.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:50 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Civilians protect the constitution and freedom of America as much the military does just in different ways.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:13 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
You have to be pretty poor at statistics to believe that per manhour worked civilian jobs are more dangerous than the military.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:18 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You have to be pretty poor at statistics to believe that per manhour worked civilian jobs are more dangerous than the military.
Really? Would you care to share these statistics with us ignorant souls that don't have your lofty view? And be sure you include the hours of ALL military personnel, not just the few that are involved in combat. Make sure you separate combat hours from noncom hours for those combat ready.

I am really looking forward to seeing those statistics, so please don't dawdle.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:19 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Really? Would you care to share these statistics with us ignorant souls that don't have your lofty view? And be sure you include the hours of ALL military personnel, not just the few that are involved in combat. Make sure you separate combat hours from noncom hours for those combat ready.

I am really looking forward to seeing those statistics, so please don't dawdle.
I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. The people whose emotions are wrapped up in this fetishism are absolutely unwilling to subject the military to such analysis.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:45 AM

994 posts, read 1,591,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Say something remotely critical of the military, and the troops in particular, and you will be crucified. Feelings will be hurt like nothing else. Little, if anything, is more politically incorrect than engaging in this type of criticism in the United States.

Coal miners work in far more dangerous line of work making sure millions have heat. Truck drivers bring us our food at higher risks. Ditto sea fishermen in Alaska and elsewhere. We could compile a list of others who risk their lives at a greater rate to provide us with essentials. Interestingly, they are not the objects of the same fetishism. Why is that? In anticipation from the obligatory refrain, no our military does not protect our freedoms. Our Constitution does that. Our military protects us from external threats and they haven't had to do that since, at best, 1962. The Soviets were about as interested in attacking us after that as I am in attending a Justin Bieber concert. (I suppose if the planes had been scrambled in time, had they been able to shoot down flight 93 or one of the other hijacked planes on 9/11, that might have qualified.)

Does anyone have an explanation beyond the usual, "They protect our freedoms" gibberish? Is this tied into the gun fetish? Is it about the authoritarian mindset? Is it about guilt over not serving themselves?
Perhaps Americans fear their military. Does anyone here really think the huge standing army is here to protect US? On a personal basis, military/veteran status doesn't earn you brownie points in my book. I don't give a **** what you do in your personal life, you signed up for this. Good character doesn't come from obeying orders from Great Leader; it comes from willing to do what is right and just. Yes, I will say what I want because that is my GOD given right. I bow before no one and that includes Mr./Mrs Trooper! If the military types supposedly fought for my freedom to say whatever I want or worship whatever I want and so forth, they should be thanking me everytime I badmouth someone!

Last edited by fireandice1000; 11-22-2012 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies