Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:09 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times

Advertisements

Because the Bush recession put millions out of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:10 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Because giving food to poor kids offends conservative pro-life sensabilities. But giving bailouts to greedy bankers who make stupid decisions -- well that's just the role of government.
As a fiscal conservative and a social liberal, I have to disagree. My problem isn't with giving food to poor kids, as you put it. My problem is with creating and continuing policies that exacerbate the problems which cause those poor kids to need food stamps.

Perhaps if Obama had spent more time worried about the economy than he did worrying about his health care reforms, we'd actually have job growth in this country and less families would be collecting food stamps.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:14 PM

420 posts, read 335,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
As a fiscal conservative and a social liberal, I have to disagree. My problem isn't with giving food to poor kids, as you put it. My problem is with creating and continuing policies that exacerbate the problems which cause those poor kids to need food stamps.

Perhaps if Obama had spent more time worried about the economy than he did worrying about his health care reforms, we'd actually have job growth in this country and less families would be collecting food stamps.
Long term, health care reform is directed at improving the economy. Whether or not it works remains to be seen, but that is one of the main goals.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I guess he underestimated the mess Bush left him.
But what's he gonna do about the much bigger mess he left himself?

Old 11-18-2012, 08:24 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunValleyRoadKing View Post
Long term, health care reform is directed at improving the economy. Whether or not it works remains to be seen, but that is one of the main goals.
The key is long term. And I would have been fine with him working on health care in the long term. However, in the short term he needed to do something substantial to fix the economy and failed to do so (shovel ready jobs?). As for the PPACA being good for the economy, you're correct, it is too soon to say. Unfortunately, from reading the law and from conversations with medical and legal professionals, the prospects don't look too good.

Why is Obama the food stamp president? Because under his administration we've seen a record number of food stamp recipients, and that number seems to be growing.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM

27,139 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
But what's he gonna do about the much bigger mess he left himself?

That's one heck of a mess.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:41 PM

114 posts, read 100,266 times
Remember how Obama supporters threatened to riot in the streets if Romney won the recent presidential election? There's a huge class of Americans who have become so dependent on the system of government handouts that they have no ability to survive any other way. These people will riot when the free money is cut off.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
if the shoe fits wear it.
but lets be fair, first term he said he was going to bring us change, u reelected him despite the money i sent romney. lets see what happens now. the burnng question can u run up a giant restaurant food and drink party tab and never have to pay? u know just get up and walk out without paying? my experience at 64 is no, a couple of goons are guna plaster u up against the wall and empty your pockets when u try to walk out. but what say u young democrats? a 17 trillion dollar tab, can we walk it?

Old 11-18-2012, 08:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if the shoe fits wear it.
but lets be fair, first term he said he was going to bring us change, u reelected him despite the money i sent romney. lets see what happens now. the burnng question can u run up a giant restaurant food and drink party tab and never have to pay? u know just get up and walk out without paying? my experience at 64 is no, a couple of goons are guna plaster u up against the wall and empty your pockets when u try to walk out. but what say u young democrats? a 17 trillion dollar tab, can we walk it?
Yes - if he wasn't going to create all those millions of jobs, he shouldn't have said he was going to. He should have told the truth and say that he would just go on blaming Bush but also never do anything to turn things around. No change, just a big blame game.

The problem is, Obama really cannot create a single job. He doesn't realize that businesses are what creates jobs for people. Obama cannot create a single business and he doesn't haven't any understanding of what it takes to make a business. He thinks no one builds a business, no one makes their business happen, someone else just does that for them. So we're stuck and the number of food stamp recipients is still rising fast.

24 million Americans out of work but Obama is promising good paying jobs to anyone who gets here illegally. That certainly isn't creating jobs for the American people.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Because giving food to poor kids offends conservative pro-life sensabilities. But giving bailouts to greedy bankers who make stupid decisions -- well that's just the role of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies