Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times

Advertisements

So, you are upset because these people realized that the best strategy to push their message is by adopting the very strategy that Christians have used for years?

I don't think that qualifies as a "War on Christmas." Rather, this is reflective of a changing America where belief in some omnipotent being is, apparently, fading. Especially in younger generations. I grew up in the Christian tradition but even as a young child, I failed to see the logic in any of its symbolism while still understanding the lessons that Christianity has bestowed and still hopes to bestow.

Call it a loss of magic - but don't be surprised. We've been teaching realism for quite some time...

Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 AM

69 posts, read 178,288 times
If there is a war on christmas, then christmas is definitely winning. Seems like it starts earlier every year.

Christmas everywhere...

Old 11-19-2012, 10:32 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,603 times
They're coming for your guns.......and your tinsel.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:35 AM

58 posts, read 53,746 times
I'm getting tired of the War on Christmas™. It starts earlier and earlier every year; they're doing it before the War on Thanksgiving™, for Pete's sake! It's just getting way too commercial for me. Call me old-fashioned, but I liked it back in the old days when the War on Christmas™ was mainly a family event, free from all the overbearing ads and store displays. Nowadays, you hardly have time to get your War on Halloween™ decorations down before everyone starts up with the War on Christmas™ nonsense.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
I live in one of the most liberal cities in the USA and there's already Christmas stuff up at my local supermarket--in fact it's been there since the day after Halloween--and somehow there's a war on Christmas.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
I'm Agnostic and I am 100% ok with celebrating Christmas publically. Face it, our Christmas is such a financial boom for the entire world it benefits faiths, people and companies from every country. A huge number of Athiest, Jewish and Muslim businesses would go under if it wasn't for Christmas!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Per the OP's linked article, there are two parties to the lawsuit. The nativity scene supporters, and the city. So, logic demands that the city, in choosing not to use taxpayer monies for any displays, is therefore the party waging "war" on Christmas.

Even though:

"The city doesn't prohibit churches from caroling in the park, handing out literature or even staging a play about the birth of Jesus and churches can always set up a nativity on private land, Deputy City Attorney Jeanette Schachtner said in an email."

Directly from the OP's link.

It actually reads like the nativity supporters are waging war on the city, suing them to force the city to expend taxpayer funds to allow the nativity supporters to erect a Christian display on city property.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:07 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post

Go ahead and tell me again that there is no war on Christmas in this country, leaners.
This statement implies that you think leaners can't also be Christians who want to see the tradition continue. There are a lot of lefty Christians in Santa Monica, lol.

I think it should be allowed to continue as a Christmas display. It's very home-townish and people of all faiths (and none) are known to enjoy strolling along the walk looking at what various churches have put together. It's a wonderful park.

Yes, Roy. It's true. Those horrible leaners are going to church in Santa Monica.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:10 AM

429 posts, read 654,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This statement implies that you think leaners can't also be Christians who want to see the tradition continue. There are a lot of lefty Christians in Santa Monica, lol.

I think it should be allowed to continue as a Christmas display. It's very home-townish and people of all faiths (and none) are known to enjoy strolling along the walk looking at what various churches have put together. It's a wonderful park.

Yes, Roy. It's true. Those horrible leaners are going to church in Santa Monica.
Jesus would want nothing to do with them.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
Jesus would want nothing to do with them.
Right, because Jesus and Christianity are all about elevating oneself about others.

I understand, though. As some "Christians" would have us believe, in the current US version of Christianity, Jesus would start wars, let his neighbor die, keep all his money to himself, sneeringly look down on others, refuse to associate with anyone who is not Christian, sell Mary's soul if he could make a profit by doing so, and forget some of his teachings whenever they are inconvenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies