Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,978,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
So you want a county where justice becomes "American Idol"?
Laws wont matter, if they don't rule by popular public opinion, replace them.

Good luck with that.

How many other tests of eligibility can you come up with for voting?

The IQ test.
The Net Worth test.
The how white am I test.

I'm sure if you work hard enough on it, you will get your dream world. A dictatorship.

Just not in MY COUNTRY.

That last one made me almost spit my coffee all over my keyboard, as I had to keep from LOL in the office! Seriously, while some people have no business voting, we should not deny them to practice their most basic privilege as an American citizen! Even if I don't agree with that person's choice, I support their right to vote how they please. I get more annoyed when people don't vote, but that too is their right.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:16 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, it is all welfare. You can work and still get welfare. Sad that I have to explain that.
Then the tax expenditures for 401k plans, mortgage interest tax deduction, and the deduction for having employer provided health care is welfare as well.

There is literally no difference between giving a tax credit to low income Americans and giving a tax credit to more well of Americans so they can save for retirement. Or save to send their child to college, or the huge mortgage tax deduction for homeownership where the government subsidizes people owning a home.

Those things are welfare as well. Let's count it all. Not just the stuff poorer workers get.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:33 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,301,439 times
The question that begs to be asked here is, if the loser's government check was supposed to pay for rent, then why not mail the check to the landlord only and bypass this sorry excuse for a human being altogether? If he doesn't have a landlord in the true sense of the word (business agreement as proven by a written rental agreement or lease), as in this case where he was apparently shacking up with this flake for free rent or something, then no landlord to mail it to means no rent.

Simple. That would stop at least a tiny fraction of the corruption, wouldn't it?

Gotta love how he is totally clueless about his responsibility to pay for what he uses. "I 21, she 30, I don't be owin' her, she be takin' care of it!"

???????

Old 11-20-2012, 09:34 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,051,825 times
Because we have sociopaths running America.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM

185 posts, read 159,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Because of militant atheists who tries to turn is into non-belief society
...So a theocracy is better? A place where so-called conservatives that scream for smaller government but refuse to leave people's private life to themselves? A place where scientific inquiry is an anathema to many in the public?
You'd have an actual argument if you mentioned the moral decay of society on all levels..

Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,071,102 times
Yay, more hating black people and calling them lazy bums on welfare.

I really don't think this is the situation here. I don't think Judge Judy has a problem with taxpayer money going to help young people from underprivileged backgrounds to go to college either. All that needs to happen is that people use the money for the purpose it is intended. The guy is 21. A lot of 21-year-olds need to be smacked into reality because they've barely grown up yet. An example is that a lot of people I know would get drunk and then simply not show up to work the next day, no call, and wonder why they get fired. He'll get his chance.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 AM

753 posts, read 727,477 times
My country is doing just fine, thank you. It faces challenges, as it always has. It will overcome them, just as it has in the past overcome many far more serious challenges.

But I'm struck by the fact that a lot of people prefer their own weird Gotterdammerung fantasies to the even worse horror (worse, that is, to them) of seeing a President they dislike succeed.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:05 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,442,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
When I look at the future, I see it as bright.

The only ones who see a dark future are those that are part of the problem to begin with.

America is just now awakening to find the damage that has been wrought by decades of crony capitalism and corruption. The American worker has been devestated, and along with him, the American family. And this, of course, has nothing to do with "liberalism." In fact, just the opposite.

America finds itself no longer a leader in much of anything besides military spending. It is now less educated, less developed, less innovative than those godless liberal commies in Europe. Its citizens are disproportionately superstitious, and cling to barbaric and outmoded and obsolete ideas.

Luckily, a small percentage of intellectual, forward thinking people drive the nation forward and keep it in first world status in innovation, science and culture while an alarmingly increasing number of citizens calling themselves "conservatives" retreat into willful ignorance, tribalism and survivalist mode... rendering themselves increasingly irrelevant.

But I see that young people are less apt to share the FEAR and SHAME and SUPERSTITIONS of the older generations. And THAT'S why I see hope for America.

I know most of you City-Data conservative cranks are already knocking on your nursing home years, but really.... just sit back and let the rest of us repair the damage you have done, ok? Enjoy your pudding and reruns of the Andy Griffith show, and dream of an America that never was.
Of the last 41 congresses democrats had majorities in the Senate 30 times and 31 times in the House.

Of the presidents during that time 7 were democrats while 6 were republicans. Nine of those presidents were liberal.

Just thought I'd remind you who and what party has actually put this country in the shape it's in and the conclusion you come to is that if we'd just had more liberal democrats in office everything would be hunky dory?

The only reason why conservatism even grabbed a small foothold was because liberalism failed on all of its fronts all the way up to the 70's. The only reason why younger people think republicans put us in the mess that we have now is they weren't around before the 80's and they haven't known the real economic and political problems that were the norm for most of this country's history.

Maybe you ought to think about that next time you go off on a rant.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:05 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,235,470 times
Conservatives call medicare, medicaid, social security, unemployment compensation, food stamps, housing assistance, heating assistance, and many other programs, welfare.

Wonder what conservatives call the subisdies given to farmers, ranchers, oil companies, corporations, businesses and other entities?

We're always hearing conservatives complain about individuals who receive "welfare", but seldom hear them complain about businesses getting big breaks from Uncle Sam. If a business or a corporation cannot make it without government help, maybe they shouldn't be in business?

Old 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM

37,100 posts, read 39,303,730 times
These fools need to have had these basic tenets of civil responsibility taught to them from a much earlier age. Hoping to drill the lesson in now is ridiculously difficult. We really need to start now.

Also, who here actually took classes in Civics or the like in school? I think it's crap that it seems to have been cut out of so many school curricula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.