Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 03:00 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,793,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
The snack giant endured $52 million in workers' comp claims in 2011, according to its bankruptcy filing this January.

Hostess's 372 collective-bargaining agreements required the company to maintain 80 different health and benefit plans, 40 pension plans and mandated a $31 million increase in wages and health care and other benefits for 2012.

that's a lot of twinkies to sell, especially with a government that is trying its best to get people to stop eating them.

not counting the 2 billion in unfunded union pension liabilities.

also of note this hedge fund was run by democrats, so the media probably isn't going to say that much about it-or maybe obama will do another bailout.

An excellent argument for universal healthcare. It has become obvious that providing health insurance has become an unsustainable burden to American businesses. Thank you for pointing that out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I worked for a small business owner who went with plan B. She let me go, because she wasn't willing to have her own pay diminished.

And I understood. It's her business, to run as she sees fit. I just worked there. If I didn't like it, I could have left and found something else. The purpose of HER business was NOT to provide me with a job. It was to be profitable, provide her with a living to maintain her lifestyle, and if those profits made an extra employee or two possible, more the better.

The ignorance about the free market system is astounding.
Then these companies should not blame the production laborers whom they pay barely minimum wage for the fall of their poorly managed company.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:21 PM

37,104 posts, read 39,303,730 times
Can we all agree at least that the root of Hostess's problem was that management did not make necessary changes to their business in the face of growing awareness of obesity and other health issues with their product line irrespective of union versus management issues?

Old 11-20-2012, 03:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,691,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Where oh where is Bain Capital when we need them?
Waiting in the background for " The Price is Right" Show to begin.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:30 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,421,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If corporations refuse to pay a livable wage to full-time, hard-working employees, we will just tax these "job creators" more in order to compensate the wages they should be paying in the first place.
The problem is that you have no idea what a "livable wage" is. The union thugs and left seems to think that if everyone can't afford an iPhone, their own house and a nice car they're not getting a "livable wage". They think that anyone that's not living high on the hog is in poverty.

Go to a third world country and discover what poverty is. Americans live WELL beyond their means. Their means would give them a fine living situation. But if they want more, apparently it's someone else's job to provide it, instead of THEIR job to get a better education and work harder. Instead of going and making themselves WORTH more to someone else, they try to force the hands of their employers.

Gimme gimme gimme.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:33 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,905,380 times
Quote:
An excellent argument for universal healthcare. It has become obvious that providing health insurance has become an unsustainable burden to American businesses. Thank you for pointing that out!
that sure wouldn't fix the unsustainable 2 billion dollars in unfunded union pension costs would it?

what do you suggest for that?

a government bailout perhaps?

a court order?

Last edited by floridasandy; 11-20-2012 at 03:42 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Until someone on the left can come up with a logical explanation of how you can take something as large as healthcare, tax half of the country to pay for the entire country to have access and continue to IMPROVE and INNOVATE our healthcare while still attracting the best minds to the field, universal healthcare is a stupid idea. It CANNOT work. In your utopian little mind it can, but reality is different.

It's never worked and it won't ever work.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:38 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,905,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Until someone on the left can come up with a logical explanation of how you can take something as large as healthcare, tax half of the country to pay for the entire country to have access and continue to IMPROVE and INNOVATE our healthcare while still attracting the best minds to the field, universal healthcare is a stupid idea. It CANNOT work. In your utopian little mind it can, but reality is different.

It's never worked and it won't ever work.
i had to see the thread derailed, but i really agree with this.

first, mandatory health insurance is clearly not going to do anything to bring healthcare costs down-as insurance is a for-profit business anyway. it seems to me that would benefit the insurers, by bringing in more forced payment revenue, but wouldn't address the basic issue of healthcare being too expensive in this country now.

i think the only thing it will do is allow people less money in their pockets, less doctors to choose from, and less options when it comes to treatment.

i wonder when someone will really address healthcare COSTS?

Old 11-20-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i had to see the thread derailed, but i really agree with this.

first, mandatory health insurance is clearly not going to do anything to bring healthcare costs down-as insurance is a for-profit business anyway. it seems to me that would benefit the insurers, by bringing in more forced payment revenue, but wouldn't address the basic issue of healthcare being too expensive in this country now.

i think the only thing it will do is allow people less money in their pockets, less doctors to choose from, and less options when it comes to treatment.

i wonder when someone will really address healthcare COSTS?
Exactly. The heathcare system is broken, but regardless of the garbage you hear, we've still got the best survivability rates in the world. That's something I'd like to preserve. The left would rather everyone get coverage, even if it's horrible care. There's a way to fix the system and make it available to everyone while continuing to innovate. This ain't it.

The government has NO business in healthcare or any business for that matter. They need to stick to the Constitution. And that's IT.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
The problem is that you have no idea what a "livable wage" is. The union thugs and left seems to think that if everyone can't afford an iPhone, their own house and a nice car they're not getting a "livable wage". They think that anyone that's not living high on the hog is in poverty.

Go to a third world country and discover what poverty is. Americans live WELL beyond their means. Their means would give them a fine living situation. But if they want more, apparently it's someone else's job to provide it, instead of THEIR job to get a better education and work harder. Instead of going and making themselves WORTH more to someone else, they try to force the hands of their employers.

Gimme gimme gimme.
/

We have a very good idea of what is needed for a livable wage.

I am betting Hostess paid well under that.

Living Wage Calculator - Introduction to the Living Wage Calculator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies