Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
The 2008 primaries proved we aren't ready for a woman president. Remember Hillary the hillbilly and pantsuit Hillary. I doubt that I will see one in my lifetime.
Then you will probably be dead in the next twenty years.

This isn't even an issue with most folks under 50.

Personally I'd have no problem voting for a female presidential candidate. If Hilary runs in 2016 I'd give her some serious consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
You mean you Libs don't want Nancy Pelosi for President?
No, I don't but I'd take her over Michelle Bachman and Sarah "Caribou Barbie" Palin in a heartbeat.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:08 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
That this question even needs to be asked saddens me. Yes, the US is ready for a female president, if she is the best candidate for the job, not just to say we have a female president or that a female candidate will appeal to a demographic whose votes we need. Just because a candidate is a woman doesn't mean her politics are good for women.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yes but you classified it as being due to "the first black President".

That was my point you avoided.
Explain what "it" refers to? and what point i'm avoiding..

Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
No, I don't but I'd take her over Michelle Bachman and Sarah "Caribou Barbie" Palin in a heartbeat.
So you can continue feeling comfortable calling patriotic, freedom loving Americans "astroturf" and "Nazis"? That's great. You are truly a genius!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:17 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Explain what "it" refers to? and what point i'm avoiding..
Bringing a whole new meaning to "once you go black, you never go back."

Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
If we were having this conversation 30 years ago, I'd get it, but....seriously? Was Margaret Thatcher "wimpy?" I know some of you are dinosaurs that will go out kicking and screaming if society moves beyond the 1950's, but I thought we were past the "can a woman be president" stage in this country...

Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
That this question even needs to be asked saddens me. Yes, the US is ready for a female president, if she is the best candidate for the job, not just to say we have a female president or that a female candidate will appeal to a demographic whose votes we need. Just because a candidate is a woman doesn't mean her politics are good for women.
That's just it--it doesn't matter what gender the president is, but it does matter what they stand for and the type of policies they'll push. Gender doesn't matter AT ALL--what matters is if they are a strong and capable leader.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,941 times
It is SEXIST to be one-sided on anything. We all know politics involves a lot of mudslinging. We cannot ask for different treatment of women. Everyone's going to get dirty.

When a female candidate runs for office, we scream SEXISM if anyone makes mention of her hair or clothes. "These aren't real issues! We're only talking about HAIR because she's a woman!"
Greg Gutfeld and Kimberly Guilfoyle got slammed in the media for calling Florida congresswoman/DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz “Frizzilla.”
But didn't John Edwards get abused in the media about his hair? There were articles devoted to exactly how much he paid per haircut. Plus, there was the lovely Youtube video that was put together about his hair:
"John Edwards Feeling Pretty":
John Edwards Feeling Pretty - YouTube
WOW, everyone would be up in arms if such a video would be put on about a female candidate.
(Nixon was raked through the coals because of his sweaty face during a debate, Reagan got blasted for his age - until he himself started joking about it.)

The public & media can be very petty and focus their emotions on ridiculous instances.
Governor Ed Muskie's presidential campaign came to a halt in an emotional defense of his wife and onlookers said he lost it and cried during his speech. Muskie insisted snowflakes got in his eyes. (What if this were a female candidate, what then?)

Let's go back even further to Grover Cleveland and the awful mud he encountered with "Ma, ma, where's my pa?" splashed across the front pages of newspapers. (Would we be okay with this mudslinging if it had been a female candidate?)

We cannot expect different treatment. Mud is mud and women politicians are going to get dirty - we can't expect "special" treatment (that would be sexist).

Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,069,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
.We cannot expect different treatment. Mud is mud and women politicians are going to get dirty - we can't expect "special" treatment (that would be sexist).
I agree with you. That is why the presidents' coming to the proverbial rescue of Susan Rice left a really bad taste in my mouth. She needs to answer the questions swirling around her about her Sunday talk-show-marathon. And if she wants to be Secretary of State and play in the big leagues she had better be able to defend herself.

If it were the right person I would have no problem voting for a woman. The right woman is capable of having all of the positive (and negative) attributes required of a president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies